LCVG
Angry the Clown

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

Need to  buy a new UHD kit to upgrade our 4K TV for HDR.  $400.  Ugh.  Oh well.  But... should I upgrade the TV first or get the player first?  Can't get both right away.

Tough call. HDR is really the bigger selling point for UHD over resolution though, so you might want to judge it that way, but then again why spend $400 on the HDR update if you've no HDR content to enjoy? Any player you buy now will not support Dolby Vision discs when they eventually appear, but then neither will your TV so it doesn't matter that much (Dolby Vision discs have to contain the HDR10 base layer that you could enjoy regardless). 

BTW, got a free digital copy of ID4 from FandangoNow (formally MOGO) and it looks nice.  Hard to believe the UHD version can look better enough to invest in buying it, especially since I don't run DTS: X.

The UHD version has mixed reviews from owners. Several think the Blu-ray looks better. Since we cannot yet extract frames from UHD discs we can only look at photos of a screen, which is a terrible way to examine an image, but it is quite off putting to me that despite that fact you can still see how the UHD version suffers from compression anomalies.

I saw this posted elsewhere online and you can see macroblocking in the UHD disc here quite clearly and it's not even an action heavy scene, just likely the result of some poor skills at the compression stage. http://cinefacts-forum.kino.de/244321-independence-day-2.html#post8413241

Ouch!  

As far as the UHD kit for my TV, I've read that it tweaks a few more things on the set as well, and I can always buy something like ID4 online to watch with HDR (it's only $21.99 on FandangoNow, with an extra 10% off I have coming), so it's still up in the air for me right now.

But now, instead of ID4, I might just buy the UHD of Die Hard.

Update the TV. That's a good point that you could download UHD content. A lot of downloadable UHD content is HDR mastered too (and even Dolby Vision content on VUDU has to have an HDR10 base layer just like discs will). 

For you Atmos fans, the UHD releases of Star Trek (2009) and Into Darkness coming next week definitely have Atmos tracks. Into Darkness also opens up to 1.78:1 for the IMAX footage if that sort of thing excites you. These are Paramount's first UHD releases (they have yet to announce any further titles, either Trek or non Trek related).

http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/06/first-star-trek-4k-uhd-blu-rays-arrive-tuesday/

I see the macroblocking in that screenshot. But then I'm looking at a jpeg of a photo of someone's screen, so I wouldn't want to make too much of a decision.

Mind you, I just bought the extras-loaded Blu set for £5, so there's no way it could justify an upgrade anyway.

Watched the new Ghostbusters disc tonight. The movie looks great. Tons of film grain. I can honestly say this is the 1st time I watched a disc at home and it looked like what you would see at the theater. 

-Dean-

it looked like what you would see at the theater. 

Not the first time I have seen someone say that about the disc. Very exciting that a good UHD discs can get us so much closer to that feeling.

Why didn't you buy Ghostbusters 2? 

Not the first time I have seen someone say that about the disc. Very exciting that a good UHD discs can get us so much closer to that feeling.

Why didn't you buy Ghostbusters 2? 

I like the film, but not enough to rebuy at $25. Once it hits $15 or so, I'll pick it up.

-Dean-

"Well, that's cutting it a little bit close, isn't it? I mean, just from a sales point of view, I mean your book is just coming out, you're not gonna see any paperback sales for at least a year. It'll be at least another year before you know whether you've got that mini-series or movie-of-the-week kind of possibilities. I mean, just Devil's Advocate, Milty! I mean, shouldn't you have said: Hey, the worlds going to end in 1992! Or better yet, 1994!"

Apparently Batman v Superman will be the first 100GB disc (in the west). So how about that. The movie's good for something. 

Warner's UHD/Snyder love in continues in mid-July:

m2221482.jpg

This is quite interesting. An initial look at Dolby Vision vs HDR10 suggesting that on higher end sets the benefits of DV become rather negligible. 

While it’s tempting to jump to the conclusion that Dolby Vision was superior to HDR10 in terms of end-user HDR experience, we needed to point out that the LG 55E6 OLED’s HDR10 rendition was hampered by relatively low peak brightness and substandard tone-mapping. All we could surmise from our comparison were as follows:

• Dolby Vision delivered a superior HDR image compared with HDR10 4K Blu-ray on the LG OLED55E6, displaying less highlight clipping and more accurate colours;
  • The most effective method to recover the blown-out highlights in Ultra HD Blu-ray movies on the LG E6 was by lowering the [Contrast] on the source player; and
  • A top-end 4K HDR LED LCD TV with high peak brightness and correct tone-mapping (for example the Samsung UE65KS9500) could present HDR10 UHD Blu-ray films in a manner that’s not inferior to Dolby Vision.
  • In other words, Dolby Vision pulled ahead of HDR10 4K Blu-ray when the display featured suboptimal peak brightness/ colour volume/ tone-mapping, but the gap was closed to negligible levels by a high-end HDR TV with 1000+ nit peak luminance and accurate tone-mapping. Future developments like dynamic metadata for HDR10 (as demonstrated by Samsung at NAB 2016) may level the playing field or even swing things in favour of the open standard.

Perhaps the greatest appeal of Dolby Vision is the promise of high-quality HDR performance on low-cost and midrange televisions, allowing shrewd video enthusiasts to save some money in the pursuit of better home cinema experience, though any possible savings may be partially offset by the potentially higher prices of DV-enabled Ultra HD Blu-ray players (due to the licensing fees payable to Dolby Laboratories) when they’re launched. Exciting (if uncertain) times ahead…

Full articie is worth a look:
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/dolby-hdr-201606214303.htm

Perhaps this is why Dolby Vision is gaining more traction with streaming services as they appeal to less discerning viewers (Amazon are the latest to adopt DV).

There's some talk that the chipsets for DV in UHD players are still not going to be ready for any player to implement in 2016, so this early indication of DV vs HDR10 (along with the fact so few display devices support DV) is perhaps comforting news for those wanting to be early adopters of UHD (provided they buy into higher end displays metting the 'Premium UHD' branding standards). 

OK, maybe I need to start paying closer attention here. My ancient (and multi-region for DVD, which I'll miss) Panasonic BD35 appears to be making a bid for the Great Big Retirement Home In The Recycling Centre; the last three Blu discs in a row I've tried have failed to play thanks to the wonders of crazy Java tricks it can't cope with.

Now reduced to a combination of the UK PS4 and a US Sony Blu for movie playback, plus the old HD-DVD player for that format and the old weird-region thing.

Picked up Ghostbusters II and The Martian Extended Edition on UHD today. Not sure which one I'll watch later tonight though.

-Dean-

Joined the UHD player club last night.  But wife deemed there isn't a movie worth getting on UHD yet.  LOL.  So, it's up convert time for a while.

Joined the UHD player club last night.  But wife deemed there isn't a movie worth getting on UHD yet.  LOL.  So, it's up convert time for a while.

Did you get the Samsung player?

Edit:  I would definitely recommend Deadpool as your first UHD, so you can hear the Atmos track.  

Carlos.

I've been disappointed that things have been so quiet on the software front lately. There's still no big drive to get titles out there, and I can only hope this will gradually change once the XB1 S hits and, most notably from the point of view of Sony's catalogue, the PS4 Neo. 

Digital Bits had a rumour that Disney could be on board by the end of the year, possibly with Finding Dory amongst their debut releases. 

Did you get the Samsung player?

Edit:  I would definitely recommend Deadpool as your first UHD, so you can hear the Atmos track.  

Carlos.

Yes, got the Samsung.  I would have to sneak Deadpool past the wife, because she HATED the movie.  But I think it will be a purchase if I get gift cards at Christmas, at least.

I've been disappointed that things have been so quiet on the software front lately. There's still no big drive to get titles out there, and I can only hope this will gradually change once the XB1 S hits and, most notably from the point of view of Sony's catalogue, the PS4 Neo. 

Digital Bits had a rumour that Disney could be on board by the end of the year, possibly with Finding Dory amongst their debut releases. 

Titles, all the way around, are slim this time of year.  September is when the summer titles will hit most formats; I know Civil War is out in September and think will be a UHD purchase.

I know Civil War is out in September and think will be a UHD purchase.

That would greatly depend on whether Disney do indeed adopt UHD this year or not. 

I wonder if Paramount will put out the new 4k restoration of Khan when they release Beyond on UHD later in the year. Did anyone get the UHD discs of the two Abrams movies?

Latest retail listings for some forthcoming discs include (mostly from German retailers, but sure to apply globally):

X-men First Class

The Conjuring 2

The Davinci Code

Angels and Demons

Jupiter Ascending

The Great Gatsby (2013)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates

Ice Age Collision Course

Nothing there to get me excited I must say. Gatsby has me thinking how Fox need to get on UHD/HDR releases of Romeo + Juliet and Moulin Rouge. 

Since The Conjuring 2 will have Atmos on Blu Ray, I don't need to get that one on UHD; I liked First Class, but will wait for a price drop.  Watched Moulin Rouge recently and it did not hold up for me.  Loved bits and pieces of it, but felt it was a slog to get to the end.