LCVG
Angry the Clown

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

I wonder if Paramount will put out the new 4k restoration of Khan when they release Beyond on UHD later in the year. Did anyone get the UHD discs of the two Abrams movies?

Just picked up both today. I also finally got around to watching Ghostbusters 2 this morning. Its been awhile since I have seen that movie and I enjoyed it way more than I ever did. I just accepted it for what it was, a dumb sequel. I laughed a lot. There is some real good lines in that movie. The UHD disc looks real nice. Again, this is how movies look in theaters. 

I am now up to eight discs. I have been super happy with every purchase so far. Going to watch Into Darkness today. I just watched the 1st Abrams Star Trek about four weeks ago, so I'll watch that UHD in a few weeks.

-Dean-

Just finished the UHD disc of Into Darkness. I know it isn;t a popular movie, but I really enjoy it. The soundtrack is amazing. I would love to hear it in a true Atmos HT. The image is superb. The film switches back and forth between the Imax ratio and the standard 2.35:1 ratio. Both look great.  

-Dean-

Came *that close* to picking up Into Darkness a few days back, but I'm hoping for a price drop around the holidays.  Read the Atmos mix is excellent.  

I'm going to revisit Everest on Blu today, since it's coming out on UHD, to listen to that one's Atmos mix again and see if it goes on my short list of upcoming purchases.

Crossover post from the PS4 Neo/Pro thread:

T2htWmG.png

This potentially puts a real big dent in UHD Blu's prospects, not so much in the sense of a PS4 acting as a trojan horse putting the format into homes, but it perhaps says a lot about whether Sony really has their heart in UHD Blu going forward. We know they have discs, we even know they have more discs in the pipeline, and at IFA last we they had their "prototype" standalone player on show (which was basically their latest Blu-ray player but with a UHD Blu logo slapped on it that was not hooked up to a display), but the lack of support on the PS4 Pro only adds to my already growing suspicions that Sony is more interested in distributing 4k media via streaming and downloads. If studios are really not going to get behind the format in full force then it will go the way of 3D Blu-ray, surviving briefly as a niche within a niche before ultimately fading into obscurity.  :wacko:

It's going to do exactly what 3D has done; only come out as an afterthought as a second, more expensive SKU for the enthusiasts. That much was clear even before last night, really.

The question is, however, how long even regular Blu will last as something other than that; the supermarkets seem to have almost entirely given up on getting people to buy them rather than DVDs, while most people stream or download.

I don't know. Early sales of software have reportedly been above expectations. 3D has that issue of being an experience even many enthusiasts didn't care for. UHD has that factor of studios' constant need to sell their catalogue over and over again, so from their perspective there is more incentive for a bigger push here, but unless we begin to see that happen then it will indeed just die like an afterthought, and the core delivery system of 4k content will be 4k streaming that barely looks any better than 1080 Blu-ray, and doesn't sound anywhere near as good either, but at least would boast the HDR factor studios are keen on pushing above all else. 

Some are theorising that the PS Pro lacks support so as not to eat into sales of Sony's forthcoming standalone player, but that sounds like a stretch to me as even Sony's empty box prototype at IFA last week seemed like an afterthought, not everyone wants a games console and the regular PS4 is still likely to be the market leader over its Pro cousin. Again, not having support for an enthusiasts format in a product like the PS4 Pro (which is squarely aimed at enthusiasts!) begins to send a message that, though they will support the format with some content, UHD Blu just isn't that big of a deal to Sony, and yet other Sony divisions like DADC are looking to aggressively lead on UHD Blu authoring, so it's possible that old issues of the company's internal divisions being at odds with each other has become a thing again. There was at least a brief period where it seemed like they were working from the same page.  

As far as Blu-ray itself goes. It's not going anywhere, it's just ending up a little more like Laserdisc in the sense that many studios now are not that interested in putting the time and effort into releases, and so are more open to allowing third party niche labels to licence their movies (for us enthusiasts, I consider that to be good news). That could in fact be how UHD disc ultimately evolves and exists in the marketplace too, but it still needs the studios to lay the groundwork with a sense of confident support. We're hurtling into the fourth quarter without so much as a hint of Disney support at the moment (though I still wonder whether Dolby Vision holdups are causing that delay). 

I mentioned it in the PS4 Pro thread, no way they keep it under $400 by including a UHD drive. Sony learned to never again release a console over that $399 price. The Samsung UHD player just dropped in the States to $325 and the Phillips player just released and it is $299. I Just don't see how Sony could have included the drive and kept the price at $399 without losing their ass. 

UHD was always going to be a niche market, IMO, but I don't see studios not caring, especially since it appears the cost of producing the discs is very low. Either way, I'll continue to buy UHD titles as they release. :)

-Dean-

The Xbox One S has a UHD-reading drive; as I understand it they're not terribly more expensive to manufacture than a regular Blu-ray reader, though they're not as widespread. Most of the cost is in the processing power for decoding those 4k streams, which PS4 Pro already has for dealing with them coming from other sources.

The big downside is that 4k streaming doesn't usually have particularly good colour depth even compared to 1080p Blu, let alone a good UHD HDR Blu.

It's not an expensive addition at all. UHD Blu is not new technology. It's literally an extension of the existing spec spread to three and higher capacity layers. It's a relatively minor difference to the laser. Standalone players launching at a premium is in no way reflective of the cost of manufacturing, merely price gouging early adopters.

Most of the cost is in the processing power for decoding those 4k streams, which PS4 Pro already has for dealing with them coming from other sources.

It can probably be argued that the regular model of the PS4 is more then capable of processing HEVC too since the XB1 S spec is barely any different to the launch model and handles playback of h.265 and UHD Blu's obscene bitrates just fine. The need to relegate UHD streaming playback to the Pro is surely down to the Pro most likely having the latets HDMI and HDCP specs (which, frankly, could have just as easily been part of the slim).

Fascinating. The big question remains is that the view of SCE (consequently putting them at odds with Sony Electronics), or is is the view of Sony as a whole?  Kaz was there for the PS3 of course. He knew what it meant for Blu-ray at the time. You'd think, now that he heads the entire company, if he felt all the divisions should be unified behind UHD Blu he'd ensure that they were in this instance. 

All in all, im totally fine not having uhd in the Pro. Once tha manufacturing costs dip down a bit more, i wouldnt be surprised to see sony insert it into a hardware revision. Ill continue enjoying my Samsung player. :)

On a side note, looks like release day prices of Upcoming UHD discs are hitting $25 on Amazon. Ghostbusters is getting a 3D 4K release alongside the regualr 4K disc. Did not expect that.

Repeat after me.... the price differential between a BD and UHD BD compatible drive laser is insignificant. 

tumblr_mwmygnI6FO1s2wio8o2_500.gif

:)

I'm waiting on the Oppo player, which I suspect will be bumped to early 2017. It'd be nice if it is at CEDIA next week, but if it isn't I'd guess a CES debut in January is inevitable. Panasonic actually announced a second player exclusively for Europe, the UB700, which will be £399 and by Panasonic's own admission boast identical quality to its THX certified UB900 bigger brother (£599 here). I'll keep an eye on that and how quickly its regular BD playback gets modded for multi-region (nobody has managed it with the UB900 though). I like Oppo as a long term investment though as their firmware support is so great.

Ghostbusters is getting a 3D 4K release alongside the regualr 4K disc. Did not expect that.

It's the 3D (1080) Blu bundled with the 4K UHD. There is no 3D in the UHD spec.

Disc prices are still a little on the high side in the UK. Fox and Lionsgate titles seem to be the fairest at £19.99 on Amazon (which isn't bad if buying initially to enjoy the Blu-ray included in the package). Paramount and Universal discs are £25 here which is ludicrous. Warner discs are not much better. Post Brexit I gain little from importing from the US either thanks to the dismal £ value.

First Class would have had a 2k workflow in post so will be an upscale. Apocalypse I think had a 4k workflow however (outside of the vfx work), though I'm not 100% on that.

Repeat after me.... the price differential between a BD and UHD BD compatible drive laser is insignificant. 

tumblr_mwmygnI6FO1s2wio8o2_500.gif

:)

Wavelength is the same so at most needs an optical change to focus the 3rd layer. 

Biggest cost is probably the new royalties for H.265, Dolby Vision, Atmos...etc.. Perhaps enough not to include the feature...

Wavelength is the same so at most needs an optical change to focus the 3rd layer.

Indeed.

Biggest cost is probably the new royalties for H.265, Dolby Vision, Atmos...etc.. Perhaps enough not to include the feature...

I don't know the licensing fees for Dolby Vision, though there will naturally be some (it also requires its own chipset in playback devices that still has not been finalised which is why we've still not seen players support it), but the PS4 Pro would have HEVC/H.265 support regardless given it will access Netflix's UHD library. Amazon use HEVC too and presumably the Amazon Prime app will update for the PS4 Pro as well. House only name dropped Netflix yesterday, but I am also sure they will bring Sony's own Ultra streaming store to the console, or begin making 4k downloads available via Playstation Vue.

Atmos/DTS X I don't think carries any licensing fee for Blu-ray players since the object based formats are only sent over bitstream signals, so the fees would only apply to amps/receiver manufacturers (and the regular PS4 supports them via passthrough already anyway).

I'm also beginning to wonder if they didn't miss a trick allowing game developers to use the third layer of UHD to store all the HD textures and pre-rendered video assets that will be specific to the PS4 Pro version of the game. Am I right that you can do 75GB discs where the first 50GB is still readable by a regular BD-ROM drive?

I'm also beginning to wonder if they didn't miss a trick allowing game developers to use the third layer of UHD to store all the HD textures and pre-rendered video assets that will be specific to the PS4 Pro version of the game. Am I right that you can do 75GB discs where the first 50GB is still readable by a regular BD-ROM drive?

Hmmm, I've no idea about that to be honest. The UHD Blu disc sizes go 50GB, 66GB and 100GB though (the first two being dual layer and the 100GB being the triple layer).