LCVG
Angry the Clown

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

Joss Whedon’s touch is everywhere in JL though. Keep in mind that he was tasked with finishing the movie after Snyder bowed out due to family issues. The refocus on Wonder Woman and the lighter more effective tone is definitely Whedon. Again, there are no doubt script issues and some of the heroes in question are forgettable but it comes together a lot better than you’d think.

I had every expectation that it would be garbage after BvS. It’s not Winter Soldier or Civil War but it’s not Green Lantern either.;)

16 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I had every expectation that it would be garbage after BvS.

Same here.  I even watched all the trailers, fully expecting the worst.  And I haven’t watched a trailer for a movie I’ve wanted to see since Doctor Strange.

To keep this from derailing any further, I recently watched Blade Runner and 2049 in 4K.

Didn’t care for the original (blasphemy, I know) but it sure looked great for a 35 year old movie.  But 2049 looked glorious in 4K HDR.  Damn good movie too.  And the surround and bass?  *drool*

9 hours ago, Romier S said:

The 2049 disc is glorious. I enjoy the original but narratively I like the new movie more.

After listening to a podcast where the original was talked about immediately followed by a review of the sequel, I feel I need to rewatch the original.  

I’d recommend it. It’s a dense film who’s underlying themes tend to get lost in the razzle dazzle of its extraordinary visuals for first time viewers. There’s plenty of layers to peel back and sift through. It’s unfortunate that the Deckard/Rachel relationship doesn’t really work. In fact, the sequel does more for it in one scene than the entirety of the first movie.:)

• Like 1

So I tried both the digital version (iTunes via Apple TV 4K) and the UHD (via Oppo UDP-203) and with the Dolby Vision, I prefer the digital copy.

The UHD is great, mind you, but I'm surprised by my preference for digital this time around! It's likely the Dolby Vision alone, but it really helps those dark scenes, of which there are many in this movie. Mind you, too, this was on a 2017 LG OLED.

If I could take the sound from the UHD and the video from the Digital, I'd be a happy man. For 3 hours at least.

Interestingly, while both ended up being HDR10 presentations in the end, a handful with both versions have said the international Sony disc nevertheless exhibits more shadow detail than the Warner disc.

The Warner and Sony editions definitely seem to be different masters and encodes as others have said the Sony version also retains more of the camera sensor noise and doesn’t exhibit minor banding as the Warner encode supposedly does, while the Warner disc instead crushes blacks to give the look a bit of a contrast boost (which actually conflicts with Deakins’ preference as in interviews he has spoke of not wanting inky blacks).

The Warner disc has a 10,000nit container vs 4000 on the Sony, however the film apparently only hits peaks of around 181nits on the Warner disc (which sounds about right for Deakins and his self confessed conservative approach to HDR. Sicario’s UHD is similar, and 181 is only a smidge more than theatrical HDR can display effectively making both faithful to the theatrical grade), so not even OLEDs have to tone map the HDR with this one and can display it natively (so really any benefit of DV on this would likely have been presentation of a 12bit downconversion).

The Dolby Vision master would be a seperate grade to the HDR10 master which might explain why you’re seeing more shadow detail in the stream as it sounds like the black levels are more like those on the Sony disc and Warner opted to adjust the black levels on their UHD for some reason.