LCVG
Angry the Clown

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

16 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

That and a Van Wilder box set, yes.

Well then you still have a bottom to hit then.

• Haha 2

I watched The Last Jedi yesterday. It looked great but did think some highlights were overblown - I wonder if I had a DV player that wouldn't have been the case. Also did anyone else thought the atmos audio track was mixed way too low? I had to increase the volume control on my receiver to +12dB to match the level of other movies.

While both the visuals and audio seemed good, I don't think it would make a good demo. HDR seems understated and the film looks fairly soft. The atmos track also feels a bit reserved at times as well.

I didn’t think anything was overblown, but it certainly wasn’t as sharp as other, newer films. And the audio was definitely mixed low and I’m getting a bit fed up with Disney and that trend. 

10 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I didn’t think anything was overblown, but it certainly wasn’t as sharp as other, newer films. And the audio was definitely mixed low and I’m getting a bit fed up with Disney and that trend. 

I thought I had screwed up settings somewhere... I was going through all the menus "surely it can't be this low". Thanks for confirming.

And yeah it's not like the lens had vaseline or anything and it varied among scenes. Just a slightly soft look to the film.

32 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

And the audio was definitely mixed low and I’m getting a bit fed up with Disney and that trend. 

Haven’t watched my copy of TLJ yet but hearing about the audio regarding this AND Ragnarok, disappointed to say the least with Black Panther on the horizon.

Disney have been applying dynamic range compression to the audio on all their Blu-rays and UHDs for quite some time now (certainly every UHD they have released is affected). Nobody seems to know why they've decided to dumb the audio down like this. 

I think visually TLJ looks as it should look. The HDR seems to have been applied to mirror the theatrical HDR pass, or slightly better (so a few hundred nits at best maybe). I did notice some compression issues though. 

I played GoG2 and then Thor R, both in Atmos.  Guardians sounded alright, but Thor was AWFUL in comparison.  I mean, Zeppelin's tune in Thor should have been blasting, but wasn't... in Guardian's the songs came across nicely.  What gives, Disney? 

47 minutes ago, iainl said:

We watched the Blu of Spider-Man Homecoming last night, and it sounded AWFUL, yes. 

Homecoming is Sony. That should be alright (in fact I know it is as I don't have to near max out the volume even via stereo on my tv when I watch that one like I do Disney UHDs) . 

GotG2 was fine. So was Homecoming, as Dan pointed out, by Sony. Thor was an issue, just like TLJ. And yes, it makes me fear what Black Panther will have. 

I find it strange no one has received an answer about why Thor and TLJ have this sound mastering. The big movie sites used to have contacts all over the place.

• Like 1

Guardians definitely has it too. I had to crank it up through the TV. Same for Coco. EVERYTHING Disney is like this on UHD. Black Panther will absolutely be the same. 

19 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

The big movie sites used to have contacts all over the place.

Indeed. Those days are long gone sadly. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Same for Coco. 

My first Coco disc flaked out in the middle, so I picked up where I left off on Vudu.  Weirdly, the Atmos audio on that streamed version didn't require me to crank up the volume anywhere near as much as I had to on the UHD BD.  Am I nuts, or is there really a difference?

Did the mucked dynamic range thing start with Age of Ultron?

43 minutes ago, Adam Tyner said:

Weirdly, the Atmos audio on that streamed version didn't require me to crank up the volume anywhere near as much as I had to on the UHD BD.  Am I nuts, or is there really a difference?

They probably leave lossy audio tracks like the one on the stream alone. *sigh*

Did the mucked dynamic range thing start with Age of Ultron?

I think I've seen that mentioned yes, not 100% sure though. 

Thanks everyone - seems I misunderstood. Spider-man was bizarrely loud, rather than bizarrely quiet on my system, but mostly it was that the opening five minutes consists of an over-egged echo effect to signify the large space Batman's dismantling alien stuff in, then the home videos where they've mapped speech to all the surround channels. It cleaned up once the film had got properly underway.

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

They probably leave lossy audio tracks like the one on the stream alone. *sigh*

Oh!  I didn't know that lossy Atmos was a thing.  I learned something new today!

17 minutes ago, Adam Tyner said:

Oh!  I didn't know that lossy Atmos was a thing.  I learned something new today!

Yes, downloadable and streaming presentations of Atmos are an extension of the Dolby Digital Plus codec. 

• Like 1

WONDERFUL video someone has made highlighting the awful 1998 audio mix for Grease and the new 40th Anniversary mix (based on the old 6-track 70mm release):

I should have the disc for the weekend all going well. Really looking forward to it.

• Like 2

Annihilation officially announced for 29th of May w/Dolby Atmos (and it's Paramount, so expect Dolby Vision too). This will be a Best Buy exclusive, however (I've no idea if this will be a timed exclusive like the occasional Sony title or not. Either way, I may have to call in a favour from one of you).

xNMPjSd.png

"Over one hour" of extras on the Blu-ray disc:

Bonus Content:

Part 1 – SOUTHERN REACH
Refractions – See how director Alex Garland created the tone, textures and color palettes for the various film environments on set.
For Those That Follow – Listen to the cast’s perspective on their roles and learn why they found the story so intriguing.

Part 2 – AREA X
Shimmer – See how filmmakers transformed real set locations to create the world of Annihilation.
Vanished into Havoc – Check out all the action as cast and crew walk you through the mind-blowing stunts and special effects.

Part 3 – TO THE LIGHTHOUSE
Unfathomable Mind – Learn why the visual effects are integral to achieving director Alex Garland’s overall vision for Annihilation.
The Last Phase – Listen to the cast and crew share their fondest memories from filming Annihilation.

• Like 1

A reminder...

May:

Annihilation (US. Best Buy Exclusive)

Black Panther (US. UK in June)

Braveheart (US)

Die Hard (US & UK)

Early Man (UK)

Fifty Shades Freed (US. UK in June)

Fury (US & UK)

Gladiator (US. UK in April)

Jurassic Park 25th Anniversary Collection (US, four film box set only)

Jurassic Park Trilogy (UK, three film box set)

Jurassic World (UK, individual standard release)

Jurassic Park, Lost World, Jurassic Park 3, Jurassic World (UK. Individual steelbooks exclusive to Zoom.co.uk)

Mama Mia (US)

The Matrix (US & UK)

Peter Rabbit (US)

The Patriot (US & UK)

Phantom Thread (US. UK in June)

Red Sparrow (US)

Saving Private Ryan (US)

Source Code (US)

:ArnoldWut:

• Like 1