LCVG
Angry the Clown

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

Despite having a few rough bits, I adore Lost World, to the point of being unreasonable about it. Even in the cinema, III feels like a competently made filler episode; some of our regular characters go back to the island, have some funny scrapes, leave again via the intentionally ridiculous Deus Ex Marina. 

It's not terrible, just completely unnecessary.

Lost World's script is messy and the majority of the characters are IDIOTS, but yes it still has that enough Spielberg brilliance that keeps it moving (and Postlethwaite owns every scene he is in). I'm glad I still enjoyed it when watching the UHD (it's by far the better disc of the two), and it's best just to embrace its utter daftness and ridiculously good musical score. 

III feels like they were making it up as they went along (which they were. the production was a mess from beginning to end. Good Don Davis score though!). 

Had a feeling this would be coming (25th anniversary)

207135_large.jpg

European retail listings have it down for mid-October. It's Universal, so who knows if this will look better or worse than the Blu-ray or not (the Blu was already from a 4k master, but that hasn't stopped Uni fudging the UHD as Gladiator proves). Second B&W UHD, if you don't count the candle and the girl in the red jacket, after Logan Noir though I think.

Also on the way:

207134_large.jpg

8th of October in Europe (UHD's colour gamut should really shine with this. Always loved the blue of Crowe's outfit).

Also via EU listings, more Fast & Furious titles on the way too:

52gsu8316334-ff_uhd.jpg?width=800&crop=n

52gsu8316335-ff_2_uhd.jpg?width=800&lb=t

52gsu8316336-ff_td_uhd.jpg?width=800&lb=

Is that the last that needed to come to UHD or are there another eight more? I can't keep up.

4 and 5 are not out either. You would think 5 would be as it’s the best of the series.

Forgot to do a June calendar update (I've added Avengers and Age of Ultron to August as although they have not had formal announcement's yet, several US and Canadian retailers have them penciled in with Infinity War for 14th August).

June:

Darkest Hour (US & UK)

Dirty Grandpa (US)

Escape Plan (US)

Forrest Gump (US & UK)

Game of Thrones: Season 1 (US & UK)

The Hurricane Heist (US)

The Incredibles (US)

Jack Reacher (US)

Love, Simon (US)

Mission Impossible (US. UK in July)

Mission Impossible 2 (US. UK in July)

Mission Impossible 3 (US. UK in July)

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (US. UK in July)

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (US. UK in July)

Pacific Rim: Uprising (US. UK in July)

Terminator: Genisys (US. Already available in UK)

Tomb Raider [2018] (US. UK in July)

Unsane (US)

A Wrinkle in Time (US)

July:

The Equalizer (US & UK)

G.I Joe: The Rise of Cobra (US & UK)

G.I Joe: Retaliation (US & UK)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles [2014] (US & UK)

The Quick and the Dead (US)

A Quiet Place (US & UK)

Rampage (US)

Ready Player One (US. UK in August)

August:

The Avengers (US)

Avengers: Age of Ultron (US)

Avengers Infinity War (US)

The Deer Hunter (UK)

Predator (US & UK) / Predator Trilogy Box Set (UK)

September:

Bad Boys/Bad Boys II Collection (US)

Christine [1983] (US)

Known to be coming but awaiting formal announcements: 2001: A Space Odyssey, Deadpool 2 (August?) The Fast & The Furious (October?), 2 Fast 2 Furious (October?), Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift (October?), Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom, Les Miserables [2012] (October?), Schindler's List (October?), Solo

Rumoured (mostly via international retail listings): The Big Lebowski, First Blood, Rambo II, Rambo III, Rambo [2008],  Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear & Present Danger, The Sum of All Fears, Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, The Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions, Panic Room, Robin Hood (Ridley Scott's).

Being a big fan of the book (it takes place during the same time period I was a senior in high school) I thought the movie was terrible at the time it was released.  As a Carpenter movie, it wasn't on par with The Thing or Big Trouble in Little China.  Still, I will probably pick this one up, as it has grown on me over the years... unless I read the book again between now and it's release date.  

Bill at The Digital Bits says A Wrinkle In Time does not suffer from Atmos issues and actually sounds really good. I’m still not interested in seeing it. 

And Hidef Digest agrees with me about The Incredibles and the Atmos mix on that. 

I forgot Game of Thrones came out this week, and I was just at Best Buy 😡

Funny you mention the Digital Bits as I was reading some stuff on there before I saw your post. Hunt said he will not review the Incredibles disc because they were not sent a review copy of it, however he did buy it and watch it. Um what? So as a reviewer you won’t review it unless your sent a free copy? 

• Like 1

Yeah, that’s a bit high and mighty. Waiting for a sale on GoT. 

23 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

Funny you mention the Digital Bits as I was reading some stuff on there before I saw your post. Hunt said he will not review the Incredibles disc because they were not sent a review copy of it, however he did buy it and watch it. Um what? So as a reviewer you won’t review it unless your sent a free copy? 

It's sad how bloody irrelevant that website is. 

I still check it out for reviews. But that’s it. 

1 hour ago, JoeyN said:

I forgot Game of Thrones came out this week, and I was just at Best Buy 😡

Picked it up for my brother on Tuesday when I picked up my copy of Incredibles. 

Pacific Rim available for rent at Red Box.  Too bad I already own this one.  Hate to pass on these titles, but when you have it, why rent it?

55 minutes ago, AlbertA said:

So AVS forum review of the Incredibles gave the audio a score of 100:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-official-avs-foruma-blu-ray-disc-reviews/1325665-incredibles-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review.html

I guess I'm going to have to check it out myself :)

HDD gave the audio 5/5 stars. 

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/59461/theincredibles4kultrahdbluray.html

Given some of Disney's recent somewhat lackluster audio mixes (Black PantherThor: Ragnarok), I must say I was a little hesitant going into this new Dolby Atmos soundtrack. Thankfully, all my doubts were quickly laid to rest within the first few minutes of the opening action sequence, offering owners of the DTS-HD version every reason to upgrade to this bold, dramatic and heroic fashion statement.

Studio Canal's forthcoming EU release of The Deer Hunter:

91frz4UiMDL._SL1500_.jpg

Coming 13th of August from a new 4k restoration. Universal have the US rights, so they may or may not choose to port it over. 

I wonder if this could be one of the first UHD's David Mackenzie has worked on as compressionist. He's done some work with Studio Canal before (his encode of Mulholland Drive for SC is a considerable improvement over Criterion's).

• Like 1

On 6/8/2018 at 12:08 PM, Angry the Clown said:

Had a feeling this would be coming (25th anniversary)

207135_large.jpg

European retail listings have it down for mid-October. It's Universal, so who knows if this will look better or worse than the Blu-ray or not (the Blu was already from a 4k master, but that hasn't stopped Uni fudging the UHD as Gladiator proves). Second B&W UHD, if you don't count the candle and the girl in the red jacket, after Logan Noir though I think.

Also on the way:

207134_large.jpg

8th of October in Europe (UHD's colour gamut should really shine with this. Always loved the blue of Crowe's outfit).

Both are easy and immediate purchases.

Predator collection UK artwork:

11777357-1494587175574898.jpg

I continue to be baffled how those sequels are considered to be of greater value to Fox to release vs Die Hard 2 and 3. 

Update on the US Mission Impossible discs, bizarrely the Blus included for the first three in the US are the old MPEG discs. I thought they'd do a Tomb Raider and give America the re-encoded AVC/lossless versions that some European territories have had for a few years. Most odd. Early word on the UHD of the first film is encouraging but waiting to read more feedback and see some screencaps.