LCVG
Angry the Clown

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

On 8/5/2018 at 8:05 PM, iainl said:

Canal apparently made as much of a greasy mess of The Fog as that Predator disc if memory serves, so I’m curious if they’ll use the same for the UHD or fix it. 

On 8/6/2018 at 7:05 PM, Angry the Clown said:

I don't think they did. Optimum did the UK disc before Canal swallowed them up, and the old transfer was quite contrast boosted but no serious DNR.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_59/the_fog_blu-ray.htm

That's such an old master it's unlikely SC would refer to that and upscale it. I'd imagine they'd do a new 4k scan as they're quite into that these days.

The Fog will indeed be a brand new 4k scan.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/john-carpenter-fog-re-release-1202896957/

The article also goes on to confirm that Studio Canal's release of Evil Dead 2 is also new restoration.

These should turn out OK as generally SC's restoration work isn't all bad (I'd like to see their release of Ran in UHD as their previous Blu was from a 4k scan). T2 is a major anomaly as they took the cleaned to buggery master for the 3D release and just shat that out for every format. I'm half convinced it was a mistake they won't acknowledge as although Cameron is a colour grading revisionist ("make EVERYTHING blue!!!") he's never been that aggressive in minimising grain before, even on Aliens the grain reduction was respectful. 

• Like 1

Worth bearing in mind that I THINK MGM have the US rights to the Carpenter titles Studio Canal is doing in Europe (pretty sure that’s who Shout licenced them from for the US Blu-rays they did), so anyone wanting the UHD releases is likely going to have to import. 

Well, if it's a new master then fingers crossed - I could do with a good copy of The Fog to go with my soundtrack.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2018 at 7:28 AM, Angry the Clown said:

2nd of October for Matrix sequels in the US (would expect same month for UK).

Here's the Amazon US pre-order page for the trilogy set as well ($70 at the time of writing):

https://www.amazon.com/Matrix-Trilogy-4K-Ultra-Blu-ray/dp/B07G2CJP6C?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1533631531&sr=1-1&tag=blurayforum-20

Ordered.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 5:40 PM, Angry the Clown said:

A trailer and some images from the 4k restoration of The Fog.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3514516/first-look-4k-restoration-john-carpenters-fog/

OK.. Hypppeeeee. 

Hype indeed. I just picked up the 4K restoration of “In the Mouth of Madness” from Scream on BD. Hope that gets a proper UHD release as well.

Sony have formally announced Hook formally for 9th of October (8th UK).

hook_4k.png?w=320&ssl=1

HOOK is fully restored in 4K from the original camera negative, with approval on the 4K High Dynamic Range master from director Steven Spielberg. In addition, the film features exclusive Dolby Atmos audio for maximum impact and includes 11 never-before-seen deleted scenes—a rare treat for fans and newcomers alike.

As I said a while back, this should be a beautiful looking disc. Lovely surprise about the deleted scenes too.

Matrix sequels and trilogy box also formally announced by Warner for 30th of October (likely 29th for UK). Press release confirms that Bill Bope has again overseen new transfers for the sequels and that the discs will feature both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

dKQpEsGW.jpg

Also from the press release, the extras for the sequels:

The Matrix Reloaded

In-Movie Experience – Cast and creative team guide you through a unique infiltration of the filmmaking
Written Introduction by The Wachowskis
“Philosopher” Commentary by Dr. Cornel West and Ken Wilbur
“Critics” Commentary by Todd McCarthy, John Powers and David Thomson
Behind The Matrix
Car Chase
Teahouse Fight
Unplugged
I’ll Handle Them
The Exiles
Enter The Matrix: The Game
Enter The Matrix
P.O.D Sleeping Awake Music Video
Theatrical Trailer
TV Spots

The Matrix Revolutions

In-Movie Experience – Cast and creators navigate you through the Trilogy’s thunderous conclusion – all as you watch the movie
Written Introduction by The Wachowskis
“Philosopher” Commentary by Dr. Cornel West and Ken Wilbur
“Critics” Commentary by Todd McCarthy, John Powers and David Thomson
Behind The Matrix
Crew
Hel
New Blue World
Siege
Aftermath
Theatrical Trailer
TV Spots

No Animatrix which shouldn't really come as a surprise (though the standalone Blu is now out of print), but that's a shame if the special features listed are accurate as it means Warner are not porting over the contents of discs 5 and 6 from the Ultimate Blu-ray set, notably several 60+ min documentaries including a feature length 'Burley Man Chronicles' doc that goes in depth into the making of the sequels. Since they're putting the extras for each movie on their own separate discs there's really little excuse to have ported those over (from what I believe were two bonus DVDs in that Blu-ray set originally).

Here's what the October slate currently looks like. 

October:

2001: A Space Odyssey (US & UK)

The Big Lebowski (US & UK)

The Evil Dead (US)

Evil Dead 2 (UK)

The Fast and the Furious (US & UK)

2 Fast 2 Furious (US & UK)

Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift (US & UK)

The First Purge (US & UK)

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (US & UK)

Hook (US & UK)

Hotel Artemis (US)

The Matrix Reloaded (US  & UK)

The Matrix Revolutions (US & UK)

The Matrix Trilogy (US & UK)

Shutter Island (US & UK)

Sicario: Day of the Soldado (US)

Step Brothers: 10th Anniversary Ed (US)

Ant-Man and the Wasp may also be coming in October (and Halloween, but there's conflicting info on whether that is still 25th of September or now 2nd of Oct. It hasn't been formally announced yet). No major releases have been named for November yet, and only Westworld s2 for December.  *chews fingernails in anticipation*.

• Like 1

Think that's one of the same retailers I mentioned listing it back in July (although they were showing May 2019 at the time). 

Curious to see what Fox do in terms of special features for Alien as generally they tend not to include bonus feature discs with their catalogue UHD release (Independence Day turned out to be a rare exception, any I struggle to think of any others. Martian Extended and Logan had bonus discs but were new releases). I'll be even more curious to see if they can be arsed to put out any of the sequels alongside it. Knowing Fox 's lack of enthusiasm I will assume they won't but who knows?

One review I saw said it was not as bad, but not as good as it should be.

I know angel picked it up, do not know if he watched it yet.

I have to pick it up from Walmart yet and probably won't watch until this weekend.  I've read reviews that say it is similar to past Marvel/Disney releases but maybe not quite as bad.

There are some preliminary Canadian retail listings (inc Amazon.ca) for Wreck it Ralph starting to show up. A reminder that retail indication from several months ago that hinted this might be on the way also came alongside listings in India for Lion King and Little Mermaid. Someone on Blu-ray.com claims to have taken a survey several months ago about planned releases for the latter two movies so we might get a fairly respectable winter out of the Mouse if true. I'm still crossing all fingers and toes for Mary Poppins. 

"I guess we should release the remaining X-men movies"

"I suppose. How do we make people buy The Last Stand?"

"Box set only?"

"Of course!"

kuStyJKv.jpg

They do actually seem to be getting individual releases in some overseas territories like the Predator films.

UK date is 24th of September so I'm assuming the US will be around the same time. 

So we can have Predator 2, Predators and The Last Stand, but not Die Hard 2 and Die Hard with a Vengeance, and next year probably not Aliens or Alien 3. Fox are oddballs.