LCVG
Angry the Clown

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

Stranger Things s2 is getting a Target exclusive release on the 6th of November. Same fake VHS packaging as their s1 exclusive. HDR-10 and DTS HD Master Audio apparently.

Very pleased with the Reloaded disc. Fun to revisit. I still love all the Merovingian stuff and all the new strange and supernatural things it implies are going on in the world of The Matrix. They kept the post credit Revolutions preview too which is nice. Will spin that tomorrow.

I have always enjoyed Reloaded. It’s just batshit crazy.

I kind of wish it had been bold enough to go even crazier and completely divert from expectations. It's clumsier than I remember in getting going, short scenes punctuated with random fights perhaps because it assumes that's what the audience wants to see (and were surely right), but for all the little hints of ghosts, vampires and werewolves in that world once Neo is reunited with The Oracle... damn if they'd veered off into exploring that properly it would have been gloriously nutty. Imagine if they'd just gone "nah fuck it, the second one is going to be a gothic sci-fi horror movie. deal with it"... At least we get the twins. 

• Like 1

I wish they released the soundtrack on vinyl. The car chase music is terrific.

Revolutions looks fantastic. The HDR really shines on this one in particular. Really enjoyed watching the movie too I must say. 

MIGHT receive Superman tomorrow as it shipped a few days ago. Fingers crossed. Warner have been delivering the goods on catalogue stuff between 2001 and Matrix discs so I’m eager for more.

• Like 1

Still letdown by the apparent lack of great catalogue releases coming after Superman (it's infuriating Warner did a 4k Beetlejuice run in cinemas last week, with no disc in sight). It's got me thinking about films celebrating anniversaries in 2019 that would be nice to see. I've limited the list to titles that don't seem completely out of the question (so no 35th Anniversary UHD of Police Academy that we're all itching for. Sorry fellas).

The Abyss (30. C'mon! We know the 4k HDR master is done!) [Fox]

Alien (40. We know this is coming, but will Fox bother with the sequels or pull a Die Hard on us?) [Fox]

Amadeus (35. Needs a new master and the theatrical cut hasn't been released on home video since Laserdisc) [Warner]

Apocalypse Now (40) [Lionsgate? Would be a Studio Canal release in Europe so I could see them prepping the master and sharing it]

Avatar (10. Perhaps unlikely until the first of the fourteen sequels arrives) [Fox]

The Aviator (15. I'd really like a UHD of this one) [Warner]

Batman (30. This is a dead cert. Hopefully Returns will come alongside it) [Warner]

Ben Hur (60) [Warner]

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid (50. I'd be surprised if Fox see a market to do this one) [Fox]

The Crow (25) [Lionsgate?]

Eyes Wide Shut (20. A long shot. A Criterion Blu perhaps more likely) [Warner]

Field of Dreams (30. The Blu-ray was never a great transfer. Would love to see it revisited but... Universal, so who knows?) [Universal]

Fight Club (20. It's happening if some European retail listings are to be believed) [Fox]

The Green Mile (20. Good chance, especially if paired with a Shawshank 25th discs) [Warner]

Hellboy (15. It's coming so says Del Toro. Possible Universal would do Hellboy II to cash in as well) [Sony]

The Karate Kid (35) [Sony]

The Little Mermaid (30. Already been hinted at by foreign retailers, and a new Blu is coming in 2019 so likely) [Disney]

Mad Max (40. We know this was once planned for UHD release but it never happened) [Warner]

Mary Poppins (55, not a number typically celebrated for movie anniversaries, but timed with the disc of the sequel maybe?) [Disney]

Magnolia (20. Seems unlikely but I'd love to see more PTA films on UHD) [Warner]

North By Northwest (60. Oh wouldn't it be nice? Perfect Hitchcock debut title for UHD) [Warner]

Once Upon A Time in America (35. Low odds I suspect, but we'll see) [Warner]

Pulp Fiction (25. Lionsgate have yet to put out a Miramax catalogue title on UHD. Wouldn't be a bad one to start off with) [Lionsgate, Studio Canal in Europe]

The Shawshank Redemption (25. Good chance I reckon) [Warner]

Sleeping Beauty (60. Who the heck knows...) [Disney]

Sleepy Hollow (20. Would love for Paramount to do this!) [Paramount]

Speed (25. Fox, so who knows if they can be arsed) [Fox]

Stargate (25) [Lionsgate? Think this would be another Studio Canal title in Europe so they might share a master if they do it]

Star Trek The Motion Picture (40. Time to roll out the entire series with new 4k transfers?) [Paramount]

Tarzan (20. Disney's... unlikely as I am not aware of it even being prepped for a Signature Ed Blu) [Disney]

Terminator (35. New movie on the way, so double maybe? MGM have shown zero interest in UHD disc though) [MGM/Fox]

True Lies (25. Fox, but long overdue even in HD) [Fox]

The Wild Bunch (50. Would be great to see this remastered) [Warner]

Hopefully we'll see more branching out from relying on anniversaries to cash in on of course. We're already seeing Sony breaking from that tradition. 

I have a feeling that could be why it's been held back, so they can roll it out with remasters of The Motion Picture and all the others. They're all well overdue a proper treatment. 

Avatar’s anniversary isn’t until December next year; reminding everything that thing exists would be a very wise thing to do ahead of the lorryload of sequels starts in 2020, rather than with the home release of them. 

That’s true. I could see them doing a theatrical re-release as well, especially if Disney has swallowed Fox by the end of 2019 and gets a say in things.

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Superman arrived! Will spin tonight.

The Atmos got a surprisingly good rating.  Can't wait to get this one, but I have to.  

Yeah, apparently the Atmos is based on the old remix though with the different sound effects in some scenes. The original 6-track mix is featured though, but oddly it is lossy only. 

I only have my TV for audio so won’t be able to comment on the multi-channel sound. Looking forward to watching it though.

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Yeah, apparently the Atmos is based on the old remix though with the different sound effects in some scenes. The original 6-track mix is featured though, but oddly it is lossy only. 

Well, that just means I will have to watch/listen back-to-back to hear the difference.  I still crank the isolated soundtrack on the Blu Ray every once in a while, the Williams score always gives me chills during the opening credits.

The 2001 mix the Atmos stems from is arguably better for the music, and other elements too in fairness. I don't have any problems with it really. It's just odd the 1978 6-track would be DTS HD MA on the old Blu-ray but lossy here. It's nice to have nevertheless as it was the first 6-track 70mm mix with split surrounds, so it has historical value.

Will be cranking up the...er.... TV's stereo volume, in an hour or so. God I miss having 5.1. :( 

Superman looks wonderful. Warner have done Geoffrey Unsworth great credit with the discs for this and 2001.

Love that Warner are retaining opening logos of the appropriate release era on their most recent restorations too. This is how the Superman UHD starts:

As it should be.

• Like 3

Quite pleased with The Fog release from Studio Canal. Though I have to say the HDR pass isn't as striking an improvement as other titles of this era. The Halloween disc was better, IMO. Regardless, black levels here are stable and improved over any Blu-Ray release I currently own. Daytime scenes are wonderfully sharp and natural looking with significant improvement on the grain structure from previous releases. It's well worth owning if you're a fan.

Was reading about some poor compression on The Fog which is a shame. Not exhibited kn the temastered blu so clearly whoever did the UHD encode wasn’t paying attention.

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Was reading about some poor compression on The Fog which is a shame. Not exhibited kn the temastered blu so clearly whoever did the UHD encode wasn’t paying attention.

I only noticed it in a rare scenes. There’s a shot on the boat with Tom Atkins as they are looking for the missing fisherman that stuck out pretty badly with mosquito noise and compression artifacting. Again, it’s rare from what I could tell but it’s there.

Halloween was a much stronger release on UHD if we’re comparing Carpenter films.

Stranger Things 2 packaging is fantastic for the most part. I do hate the little soft nubs holding the discs on the inside though. The discs don’t hold for shit unless you really press them down.

14A26817-DA67-491C-BDE9-EF2C5D1BD1A7.jpeg

45EEEEB7-A8D2-44F6-815B-17C2B9660ADE.jpeg

6CA184E2-EA5D-40B6-8642-D614361C2097.jpeg

382EAFB9-BB42-4615-93D5-CFACBEBDB818.jpeg

• Like 2

I forgot to mention too that the case itself is hard plastic ala the old VHS tape holders. It's wonderfully retro.:)