LCVG
Angry the Clown

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

Speaking of catalogue stuff, to hell with Paramount for only releasing their new restoration of It’s A Wonderful Life in 4K as a download only. They’d better have a good excuse to have skipped a disc with a plan to do one next winter. 

10 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Speaking of catalogue stuff, to hell with Paramount for only releasing their new restoration of It’s A Wonderful Life in 4K as a download only. They’d better have a good excuse to have skipped a disc with a plan to do one next winter. 

They have had Wrath of Kahn in 4k digital for a long time, with no disc as well. 

Yes but I think that’s being held back until they can do all the Treks as that’d make sense whether that’s next year for TMP’s anniversary or some random point of their choosing in the future. I’ve read nothing regarding them putting money into an anniversary restoration of TMP so 2019 may be another year the films fail to surface.  It’d be nice to hear something soon though, even if the target for a release was twelve months from now. The masters used for the Blu-rays need to be banished to history. 

If they do decide to do Khan in its own sooner rather than later I fear it’d be an age before we ever see the rest. 

Big Lebowski is a remarkable upgrade over the questionable Blu-ray. Such a relief. It looks wonderful.

Less remarkable is Lion King, but for no real fault. It was never going to be a substantial upgrade due to the limitations of its production pipeline, but I found it to be pleasing for what it is nevertheless and hope it sells enough to encourage Disney to more of their animated catalogue, not least because some titles like Cinderella deserve completely new masters to replace poor Blu-ray versions (I’d LOVE to see Tarzan, if only to fix the macroblocking on the Blu... but the colour on that would be sensational too. Would be nice if Disney honour its 20th Anniversary next year but I doubt they will bother).

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Big Lebowski is a remarkable upgrade over the questionable Blu-ray. Such a relief. It looks wonderful.

Less remarkable is Lion King, but for no real fault. It was never going to be a substantial upgrade due to the limitations of its production pipeline, but I found it to be pleasing for what it is nevertheless and hope it sells enough to encourage Disney to more of their animated catalogue, not least because some titles like Cinderella deserve completely new masters to replace poor Blu-ray versions (I’d LOVE to see Tarzan, if only to fix the macroblocking on the Blu... but the colour on that would be sensational too. Would be nice if Disney honour its 20th Anniversary next year but I doubt they will bother).

I would also like to see Tarzan. Really enjoy that one.

• Like 1

Sounding like the Doctor Strange UHD was an Amazon error which now shows it to be a Blu-ray with artwork matching more recent Blu-ray re-issues of the MCU.

Captain America does still look to be legit though (you’d think Guardians 1 would make more sense to bring out near Captain Marvel given the villain crossover). 

Finally picked up Fallout and Superman.  

Started to watch Fallout but it will go back for a replacement as there a scratch on it causing the movie to stutter and pixelate during the opening credits.  I almost let it go being that i only paid $15 for it but... fuck that.

Superman, on the other hand, i threw on and jumped around some chapters.  GREAT CAESAR’S GHOST does this look and sound spectacular.  While i haven’t sat through the whole movie, from what i can tell, it’s as good or maybe slightly better than any of Sony’s catalogue releases that i own in UHD.  I usually get a goofy grin when i hear the Atmos effects kick in but the opening credit “swoosh” had me just :wow.  

Good on WB for what looks like a stellar release.  I had read a review online which praised this mightily but i just took it as possible fanboyism. Wow, he may be right.

• Like 2

One of the major steelbook design companies in Europe has revealed they're prepping one for a 4k disc of Waterworld.

FB-IMG-1544284725865.jpg

This is surprising as Arrow have a new blu-ray coming in January in both the UK and the US. I'm sure it won't have Arrow's extras of course, and it probably won't have the two alternate cuts of the film (although all 3 cuts are coming from a 4k scan, and Universal do like branching on their UHDs so who knows?). 

Obligatory:

A French event with the Blu-Ray disc association appears to have revealed some forthcoming catalogue titles that we can expect in early 2019 from Universal including the remaining Fast and Furious films, Backdraft, Scarface and American Gangster.

Meanwhile Paramount will apparently release Spielberg’s War of the Worlds next year (there’s reference to a Star Trek Trilogy too,  but it seems to relate to a set of the Abrams era three. Hopefully that is paving way for sets of original era and TNG era movies too though).

https://www.avcesar.com/actu/id-26181/scarface-4k-mortal-engines-4k-trilogie-star-trek-4k-la-guerre-des-mondes-4k-bumblebee-4k.html

If Paramount are doing Spielberg’s War of the Worlds then I hope we get Minority Report from them as well as a Spielberg/Cruise double bill. I’m also hoping we get a UHD of A.I sooner rather than later. I sold Blus of both a while back in anticipation of upgrades.

Little Mermaid is 100% happening as Target have published artwork for their exclusive limited edition:

GUEST_a360992d-ab7c-42a1-ace4-9f928e04f6

GUEST_0fe9d774-ef62-4f8e-a5db-d935223d55

And here's the European art for Captain America:

f5eL2MrE.jpg

Has that paint swipe like the US Avengers and Ultron discs, so I assume the US art will be the same.

• Like 2

Paramount will apparently be releasing the 1989 Pet Semetary on UHD in March. I know it’s a remake cash in but we get that shit and not It’s a Wonderful Life? 🤷‍♂️

33 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Paramount will apparently be releasing the 1989 Pet Semetary on UHD in March. I know it’s a remake cash in but we get that shit and not It’s a Wonderful Life? 🤷‍♂️

I saw punisher warzone on 4k at bestbuy tonight, nothing surprised me. I picked up Lion King.

Punisher Warzone is Lionsgate though, and they’re shovelling out as much random catalogue stuff as they can (Van Wilder for god’s sake!) whilst still not touching any of the Miramax titles they distribute. This is Paramount we’re talking about. Of all the catalogue titles they would want to get out there...

Hopefully things really pick up in 2019 as a strong first half this year kind of fizzled out by the end as far as catalogue stuff goes. I want stuff from the 40s, 50s and 60s to emerge, and definitely more from the 70s. It is typically Warner who always lead the way on golden age titles, so fingers crossed we finally get some as a great number of their classics already have 4K restorations, but Sony are sitting on some nice Frank Capra 4K titles and other things too too.

What I have looked at of It’s a Wonderful Life’s 4K/DV restoration on iTunes is promising, so I do hope we get a disc this time next year. I think if anyone is going to be bold enough to put out a golden age b&w film on UHD disc first it’s going to be Warner doing Casablanca or Citizen Kane.

Amazon France, who I believe were first to put up a listing for Captain America, now have listings for Winter Soldier and Civil War.

https://www.amazon.fr/Captain-America-Soldat-lHiver-Blu-ray/dp/B07LD8Q7L5?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1545299014&sr=1-2&tag=bluraycom05-21

https://www.amazon.fr/Captain-America-Civil-War-Blu-ray/dp/B07LD8VFRR?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1545298983&sr=1-1&tag=bluraycom05-21

Right now these two are down for April (First Avenger is still showing for late February).

• Like 1

I picked up Schindler’s List and The Lion King.

i just finished Schindler a bit ago and am too emotionally drained to even give a get too much into a disc review.  It’s a beautiful transfer and I’ll have more to say on it when I get some sleep. 

Best Buy and Barnes & Noble are listing Del Toro’s Hellboy for 5th of March. He’d hinted this was on the way. It’s still not known if Universal will put out Golden Army (the first film is from Sony).

• Like 2

While Fox have already released some HDR10+ discs with more on the way, the press details for Lionsgate’s forthcoming disc of Robin Hood (2018) appear to show it to be the first disc with both Dolby Vision AND HDR10+. I was never sure if that would be possible or not, or that Lionsgate had even pledged support (Warner was the other major supporter, though they have yet to announce discs).

Little Mermaid artwork:

GUEST_0bb46ba0-dc81-4cfc-bbae-188f99ef33

26th Feb release date for the US. Hoping the UK gets this too like we did Lion King but haven't seen any indication from retailers here yet. If memory serves, unlike Lion King which had a CAPS workflow, this should be a 4k scan (the Blu, initial reversed shot errors aside, was probably one of the most film like and faithful Disney animated catalogue titles they had released).

• Like 2

Zavvi have the UK release for Alien down for 1st of April (incidentally this is also the same date Annihilation breaks from Netflix exclusivity in the UK and gets a disc release). 

• Like 1