LCVG
Angry the Clown

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

There’s nothing like a double bill of extraterrestrial horror to soothe the pain of Brexit, I guess. 

• Like 1

That Alien date is also now listed by the British Assosciation of Screen Entertainment so we can take it as a lock. Would imagine the US release coming on the 2nd at the latest. Since BASE receive their data from distributors the fact none of the sequels are listed would sadly suggest Fox are pulling a Die Hard on us. 

• Like 2

UK Alien artwork:

5xYGa0c.jpg

I'm not sure if Scott has overseen an Atmos mix for the new re-master or not, otherwise we can expect the same DTS HD MA track from the existing Blu. It'll be interesting to see the final audio specs. Good chance it will have HDR10+ though. Also curious to know if this will just be the theatrical cut, or the extended branched as well. 

I'm not losing hope on also getting Aliens this year just yet. While I doubt it will come in April my hope is that, if we do see Abyss and True Lies anniversary discs later this year from Fox, they might also throw out Aliens with it for a Cameron triple bill.... and maybe even a 10th Anniversary Avatar disc at some stage this year too? (hard to predict whether they'll do Avatar this year or at the end of 2020 when the sequel arrives). I've not read of Cameron overseeing a new 4k transfer of Aliens yet though, and his lack of free time has repeatedly been the hold up for a lot of his films getting discs (certainly true of Abyss).

• Like 1

4kfilme.de is listing the Batman tetralogy (Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, and Batman & Robin) as arriving in June, alongside a 35th anniversary edition of Gremlins.

• Like 1

Great stuff. I never got round to picking up the older Burton Batman films on Blu. Having watched Gremlins over Christmas I felt it was in dire need of a new master so I'm glad that seems to be happening. Shame they're not doing Gremlins 2 as well though. 

I hope the Batman discs, or at the very least the two Burton films, are individual releases. Just doing the first one individually while also doing a box set of all four alongside it would be infuriating. That could be something that differs from region to region like the handling of the Matrix films. I'd buy Forever cheap someday as I do actually like some aspects of it. 

Canadian artwork for Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald shows there to be an extended cut, but one that will be limited to digital stream only. 🤷‍♂️ I'd assume the longer version would be limited to HD in which case, as cases like this would typically suggest the alternate cut hasn't been finished for 4k/HDR. That'd be the only rational explanation for why it's not on the disc... but then it's not on the Blu either so who the hell knows. 

g9BJo0X.jpg

I believe it's due in March.

Streaming only? On a bloody Warner title? Well, that's a bummer. Hopefully it's just the gimmick of shoving bonus scenes that were cut for a good reason back into the movie, given that I'll only be able to see it on a telephone.

Pretty disappointed with the DTS: X sound on the new Halloween.  The music was not as loud or enveloping as I had hoped it would be, although I may bump up my usual listening volume to see if that is needed.  Seems to me that the original Halloween had better music representation that this new one.  Just an excuse to do back-to-back showings this weekend, as the wife and daughter are going to be gone Saturday.

UK/Euro steelbook for Pet Semetary is nice. Safe to assume US will get this too as the discs here show US rating logos:

RqtnoRib.jpg

The terrifying tale by Stephen King is also a beloved adaptation of the best-selling author's work. Newly remastered in 4K for its 30th Anniversary, Pet Sematary follows the tragic story of the Creed family. After their cat is accidentally killed, a friendly neighbour advises its burial in a mysterious nearby cemetery. When the cat comes back, it's only the beginning of an unthinkable evil leading to hell and back. Sometimes, so it seems, dead is better.

New 30th Anniversary Bonus Content

Disc 1 - 4K ultra HD + special features
  • Fear and remembrance
  • A look back at this classic with the cast and crew of 2019's Pet Sematary
  • Revisitation - new interview with Mary Lambert
  • Director Mary Lambert shares memories of the movie.
  • 3 new behind the scenes image galleries
  • Including never before seen storyboards
  • Commentary by director Mary Lambert

Disc 2 - Blu-ray + new and original special features
  • Stephen King Territory. The characters. Filming the Horror.
  • Commentary by Director Mary Lambert Pet Sematary: Fear and Remembrance Pet Sematary: Revisitation Original Special Features Stephen King Territory The Characters Filming the Horror "

25th of March release in the UK:

https://www.zoom.co.uk/product/pet_sematary_30th_anniversary_limited_edition_4k_steelbook_4k_ultra_hd_blu_ray_uhd

I know Paramount get a double cash in with this one (both anniversary of the original and riding off the back of the forthcoming remake), but honestly if we get this, THIS, and go the whole year without the classic and TNG era cast Star Trek films to cash in on the Motion Picture's 40th Anniversary then it would be extraordinarily baffling. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, iainl said:

Streaming only? On a bloody Warner title? Well, that's a bummer. Hopefully it's just the gimmick of shoving bonus scenes that were cut for a good reason back into the movie, given that I'll only be able to see it on a telephone.

And yet the UK art has a sticker on it boasting about the extended cut. Would Warner be so stupid as do that on the box for a disc only for it to apply exclusively to the download code? 

81qpntjqw4L._SX522_.jpg

Artwork is always subject to change, mind you (and it does even say TBC at the top). 

They're practically lying about the download anyway, when it's limited to the Flixster system at VideoCD quality. So why not lie further?

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 4:28 PM, iainl said:

They're practically lying about the download anyway, when it's limited to the Flixster system at VideoCD quality. So why not lie further?

Well Warner UK are doubling down on this with their Twitter PR stating that the extended cut will be on disc.

I guess we’ll know for sure whenever rear cover artwork surfaces. It’d be strange if this is a U.K. exclusive. Wouldn’t necessarily be the first time Warner have done something significantly different for the U.K. as we got a better package for Blade Runner with all the bonus discs (movie UHD was the same as US though so this would still set a precedent).

The US press release doesn’t specifically state anywhere that the extended cut is digital only, contradicting the notice on the US artwork. In fact it says “4K UHD and Blu-ray Combo Packs include an extended cut with deleted scenes” so I am wondering if the US notification on the artwork is in error and in fact it should read that the 4K and Blu are ONLY the extended cut, while the streaming offers both? We’ll see.

My guess is that the sticker’s dodgy and we only get the extended on streaming and Blu but are stuck with theatrical on UHD.

But it could also be that the U.K. get extended on disc because the US have quality streaming options we don’t. Particularly if the Blu has both, but they mean the only 4k extended is the iTunes stream Americans get on MoviesAnywhere, Warner not being happy with their branching code for UHD?

Studio Canal's release of The Deer Hunter is getting a film only release in the UK on the 11th of March, minus the chunky box and paraphernalia that was included in last year's collector's release. Pleased to hear it as that's what I've been waiting for. It's under £14 at Amazon right now (possible it lacks the bonus features disc as Amazon only have it down as 2-discs, but that could be an error). Should be similar releases of those Carpenter films to follow by the summer. 

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Studio Canal's release of The Deer Hunter is getting a film only release in the UK in March, minus the chunky box and paraphernalia that was included in last year's collector's release. Pleased to hear it as that's what I've been waiting for. It's under £14 at Amazon right now (possible it lacks the bonus features disc as Amazon only have it down as 2-discs, but that could be an error). Should be similar releases of those Carpenter films to follow by the summer. 

The non Collector’s Ed Carpenter discs appear to be landing in March as well as Amazon UK have listings up (£20 each). They’re listed for the 18th. Again, it’s possible they will lack the bonus features discs. 

Uhm.... UHD Club is a company that has been granted licenses for elaborate (often leather or wooden) packaging for UHD's in China and this has surfaced as their 10th release...

2moqavp.jpg

https://mediapsychos.com/topic/8777-the-adventures-of-indiana-jones-1-4-uhd-club-exclusive-uc10-coloured-wooden-case-edition-4k-only-china/

Release Date: TBA

Price: TBA

Note:  As Paramount announced that there may be more art released, so UC may decide to change to a different art if a better one is given!

Surely not!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dogbert said:

Anybody got a Venom MA code they don't need? Got $5 here for it :)

I can’t bring myself to pay for the movie, lol

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

I can’t bring myself to pay for the movie, lol

It's not for me, I can say that. The boy got taken to see it with a friend & loved it. Me? Meh. 

Got sorted anyway. He's happy at least. 

On 12/14/2018 at 1:40 PM, Angry the Clown said:

A Sony catalogue release, so we know what to expect. 

Hoping for a Legends of the Fall release sometime soon. 

Has that been rumoured? I remain genuinely disappointed that Sony didn't bother to capitalise on last year's anniversaries of Mask of Zorro and Last Action Hero by doing new masters and UHD releases, but would randomly throw The Quick and the Dead out there (not to knock the release of any catalogue title of course, I just wish I could get a handle on what their thinking process is regarding what to release when). 

Things have gone quiet on Panic Room and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo it seems.