LCVG
Angry the Clown

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

On 3/5/2019 at 11:35 AM, Angry the Clown said:

Rumoured (mostly via international retail listings): 

Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Toy Story 3.

hdmoviesource.com is listing these as possible June 4th releases.

• Like 1

As expected, a 40th Anniversary restoration of Apocalypse Now has been announced and will screen at the Tribeca Film Festival. As well as boasting a new Atmos sound mix it has been revealed that the version shown will be an all new 'Final Cut' of the film. 

It's currently not been announced when the disc release will arrive, but it's quite possible it will follow close to its Tribeca debut in which case it could be a May or June release. Obviously we don't yet know, beyond featuring this new cut, whether the theatrical and Redux versions will be included in 4k as well, and whether Hearts of Darkness will also be there as a bonus (no reason why they shouldn't replicate the BD disc of it in the package though).

If distribution remains the same as the previous Blu-ray then Lionsgate will likely be handling it in the US, and Studio Canal in Europe. The restoration itself, which is struck from a fresh 4k scan of the original camera negative, I suspect will have been undertaken by Coppola's Zoetrope company in house.

It'll be interesting to see if Paramount eye this as a good opportunity to release The Godfather Trilogy around the same time as supposedly they are keen to get those out on UHD. It would also be nice if Lionsgate took this as an opportunity to do a UHD of Tucker from the existing 4k restoration. 

Unrelated, but I noticed Tribeca is also having a 30th Anniversary Say Anything reunion screening. A 4k master of that exists, it's been up on iTunes for an age (sans HDR), so there's perhaps a slim chance we could see a UHD disc of that this year, but it's 20th Century Fox and even though they prefer to lean on anniversaries as an excuse to put out a catalogue title, it's not a movie of a genre that typically fits in with the type of content they prefer to release (and we don't know if the Disney takeover will completely disrupt Fox's Home Video department). 

• Like 2

The Shining is on the way according to a German source.

https://www.4kfilme.de/stephen-king-shining-4k-blu-ray-remaster/

They claim it is targeting an October release. Next year would be its 40th anniversary, so I wouldn't be shocked if it slipped into 2020 but we'll see (quite possible they'd sooner have it out in time for Halloween). I'm still disappointed we never got an anniversary Exorcist from Warner last year. I thought for certain that was one they would be keen to do.

• Like 1

I'm desperate for Eyes Wide Shut to get a new 4k scan. Even if it got one and Criterion did a regular 1080P Blu of it, it's begging for a better master and encode. 

A Collector's Edition for Scarface has surfaced via way of a Swedish retailer (with an October release) which is first 100% confirmation we've seen that this is coming.

scarface_the_world_is_yours_gift_set_4k_

• Scarface 1983 4K UHD+BD
  • Scarface 1932 BD
  • New DVD bonus disc - with new Added value, an 35th anniversary reunion with Al Pacino, Michelle Pfeiffer and director Brian DePalma
  • The iconic statue, approx. 25-28cm in height

https://www.discshop.se/filmer/bluray/scarface_the_world_is_yours_gift_set_4k_ultra_hd_blu_ray_blu_ray/P163032

Most interesting, and exciting for me, is that it notes the 1932 film will be included on Blu-ray (it has, to date, never received a blu-ray release but is on iTunes in HD). Hopefully that is included in a standard edition as well.

The Scorpion King is seemingly getting an international release on June 20th. It's yet another title from the Russian list that leaked a couple weeks back, so perhaps other movies listed there (such as The Thing, Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life, Edgar Wright's Cornetto trilogy, etc.) are indeed on the way as well.

WV83gnqR.jpg

Scarface wasn’t on that list interestingly, so even as it looks as though the leak was legit we can probably say there will be more on the way.

Sounds like Universal and Warner have growing confidence in catalogue releases. Hopefully we get formal announcements of the Batman films and Gremlins soon as they’re rumoured for June.

Next year should be a year for some big Universal titles as Jaws and Back to the Future have anniversaries. Spartacus too (so if Warner plan to increase their Kubrick 4k output then hopefully Universal will cash in with that).

Paramount’s gone a little quiet on catalogue, even on this side of the Atlantic where they’ve released more catalogue titles than they have in the US, but I’ve got my fingers crossed for Star Treks later this year (even though there have been zero rumours). Would also love an anniversary disc of Sleepy Hollow from them.

I’d like Shawshank Redemption and Green Mile anniversary discs this year. I hope we get those (both Warner).

• Like 1

So Disney have fired the head of Fox Home Entertainment, likely indicating my worst fear that Disney’s Home Entertainment division will swallow them up rather than allowing them to continue with some level of independence.

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/longtime-20th-century-fox-home-entertainment-chief-mike-dunn-among-first-wave-of-post-disney-merger-layoffs/

Reasons this could be very BAD:

1) Fox have historically been very nurturing of their catalogue, with good restorations, releases and re-releases since the DVD era. Not Something that can be said of Disney outside of their animation/Lucas and Marvel properties these days.

Fox Home Ent were also pretty liberal about licencing catalogue titles to boutique labels like Criterion and Eureka. Disney have thrown some scraps, and I do mean scraps, from the Touchstone/Buena Vista catalogues to Kino in the last couple of years, but little else. We know how they also limit Walt Disney branded catalogue titles (Herbie, Return to Oz, Cool Runnings Honey I Shrunk the Kids...and many others) to their damn US only movie club.

2) Fox were hardly enthusiastic about rushing out catalogue content on UHD disc, but it’s probably fair to say that last year’s anniversary disc of Die Hard and next month’s anniversary disc of Alien would stand less chance of release under Disney Home Ent. Both discs also feature audio commentaries and optional original audio mixes on the 4k discs, something Disney give zero fucks about on their own releases. Chances of The Abyss getting a UHD may have taken a big hit.

3) There’s every possibility that we may now cease to see Fox content in 4k/HDR on iTunes, and equally a chance that the titles already on the service in 4k may get downgraded to HD later in the year.

• Sad 1

It’s interesting you mention Hidden Figures as Disney unexpectedly killed off Fox 2000 this week. I suspect they will stick to their word and keep Searchlight afloat for as long as it gives them a gateway into awards season, but I could see them killing it long term if it fails to meet whatever expectations they have for it (which would be devastating).

Funny thing is even under Fox Home Ent we saw 20th Century Fox and Fox 2000 release UHD’s, but never Fox Searchlight (hence no UHD’s of The Favourite, Can You Ever Forgive me, If Beale St Could Talk...etc).

It’s possible Fox Home Ent will still exist as a sub division in some form, only now reporting to the head of Disney Home Entertainment (resulting in the the lack of need to carry over the boss from Fox), but I’d be surprised. As well as Mike Dunn all their leading tech staff have been shown the door. I wouldn’t rule out some existing Fox discs gradually going out of print (anything but the tentpole franchise discs really).

We’ll probably be waiting a while until we see what changes titles coming under Disney ownership will exhibit as anything due in the next month will have been completed already. Dark Phoenix would be a title coming late enough in the year (I guess Sept time for home video) to see whether there’s consistency with Fox’s support of HDR10+ and their approach to audio tracks compared to Disney. Who knows if they will even let it get a UHD.

We might see packaging layouts, notably how features and audio are listed on the back of boxes, switch to a Disney adopted style before we see disc content potentially altered from Fox to Disney standards, but after Alien, The Kid Who Would Be King and an X-Men ‘Beginnings’ trilogy set (First Class, Days of Future Past And Apocalypse) all at the end of April there are no further Fox UHD’s announced, and content/packaging wise those will stick to Fox’s preferences.

Rumours on a Fight Club anniversary disc, listed by some Euro retailers last year, have gone quiet. As far as I can tell Fox have no standard Blu-rays announced for the months after April either. Alita: Battle Angel ought to drop on Blu and UHD around May but it could be caught up in transition limbo (I’d expect the disc to be done at this stage though).

I also have no idea what the Fox buyout means for their distribution deal handling MGM titles on Blu-ray. We’ve yet to see any MGM title on UHD via Fox (the hint of those Craig Bond films would be the first).

14 hours ago, iainl said:

Oh bugger. That's exactly what I feared, yes. Not expecting to see Alien get followed by the sequels any time soon, then.

Disney’s going to be treating the Avatar franchise like Marvel and Star Wars in terms of marketing weight thrown into the sequels, so if Cameron were to specifically want a UHD disc of Aliens they might do it to keep him sweet. Still, I’d be lying if I said my hope for a UHD of The Abyss had not taken a big hit this week.

On 3/14/2019 at 5:03 PM, Adam Tyner said:

hdmoviesource.com is listing these as possible June 4th releases.

There’s double confirmation of June from Australian retailers for the Toy Story movies now too apparently.

I wonder if they will get a UK release. To date Disney have chosen not to release a single Pixar or Walt Disney Animation film on UHD over here (the one random exception being The Lion king). It’s such a mess.

Disney Movie Rewards has started offering UHD BDs.  Just Thor: Ragnarok and the first Avengers so far, but if you don’t have ‘em already and have a pile of unused points...free!

I’m hoping Age of Ultron will show up there soon in Ultra HD too.

That begs the question, how long until they start offering Movie rewards exclusive titles? 😫

I remain upset that service is limited to the US. I’m still not even sure I understand how it works. 

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

That begs the question, how long until they start offering Movie rewards exclusive titles? 😫

I remain upset that service is limited to the US. I’m still not even sure I understand how it works. 

Movie rewards? You get points for every movie you buy, see in theater (if linked to regal, amc, fandango,etc) going to parks, and other stuff. I usually use them to get posters..

11 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

Movie rewards? You get points for every movie you buy, see in theater (if linked to regal, amc, fandango,etc) going to parks, and other stuff. I usually use them to get posters..

Perhaps I don’t mean Movie Rewards. They did that here then killed it. I think I mean Disney Movie Club. I don’t quite get how it works.

5 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Perhaps I don’t mean Movie Rewards. They did that here then killed it. I think I mean Disney Movie Club. I don’t quite get how it works.

That is like the old Columbia House clubs. Get 5 movies for a $1 + ridiculous shipping , then buy 5 more at regular club price +shipping over a certain number of years. 

There were murmurs that the UHD BD of Christopher Robin was going to be exclusive to Disney Movie Club.  (Someone on blu-ray.com posted some kind of conversation with a Disney rep about the possibility, anyway.). Instead, it just never materialized at all.

i could very much see that happening.  They do it a lot with Blu-ray, even for high-profile titles like Herbie, Old Yeller, and Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.