LCVG
Angry the Clown

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

Looking like we'll get the three Iron Man movies in August as well.

That'd just leave Thor, Thor: The Dark World, Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange, and -- still annoyed that they didn't release this to tie into the sequel -- Ant-Man.

Yeah it’s weird that they didn’t get Ant-man out to cash in on the sequel when Disney have become fairly consistent with that kind of strategy lately. I’m similarly upset that we never got Mary Poppins alongside the sequel, but not surprised. 

I kind of just want the first Iron Man but if they do a UK set as cheap as the Cap America box we’re getting then I might as well get all three (and I do rather like the third one).

It’ll be interesting to watch Disney once the remaining catalogue Marvel discs are out, and we get Force Awakens and Rogue One discs (I’m guessing this year), because it may see them turning to other catalogue content at last. I hope so anyway. 

It's good to see these are all getting done. My "no upgrades from Blu to UHD until I've watched my backlog; only from DVD, LD or HD-DVD" rule is sticking for now, though, so it's mainly about knowing they'll be 4k on Disney+ when that launches. 

Might well get my favourite ones in the 2 for £30 at some point, though. Even Iron Man 2 stood up a lot better on my rewatch a couple of weeks ago (we're on a pre-Endgame binge of them all).

Dark World looked a LOT better on the OLED than it used to on my old LCD, because it's all in the shadows. Not a lot of bright colour that would benefit from the Rec. 2020 gamut though, and it's a 2k DI so I wouldn't rush to get that one out.

I do think that there may be something to my theory that Disney+ is the target incentive Disney have for creating new HDR masters, and that it's just taking time, but that more discs will inevitably come as a consequence of those masters being available. It will be interesting to see what hits Disney+ in 4k HDR that has not yet had a disc by December. Again, we can probably expect Force Awakens on disc finally, and perhaps Rogue One, around the time Rise of Skywalker hits cinemas, we know the Toy Story discs are coming this summer, and I guess a Frozen UHD will drop in November when the sequel hits cinemas. The animated Cinderella should be coming this summer too (they were late announcing the 4k after the Blu for Little Mermaid, but the fact Branagh's live action Cinderella seems to be coming is surely a fair indication that the animated version will too).

I wonder if we never got Ant-man because its cinematographer was too knee deep in Avatar sequels to work on approving it as, if what James Gunn has talked about in the past applies to everything, then Disney do want the creative talent involved to oversee these things where possible (i.e so long as the relevant individuals are alive). 

I guess when Disney have exhausted the remaining Marvel films and done Force Awakens and Rogue One they will turn attention to other catalogue titles from the Pixar and CG Disney Animation libraries. I'm desperately keen for Moana and Tangled, as well as everything remaining from Pixar but particularly Up, Finding Nemo/Dory, Wall-E and Inside Out. I guess we'd see the previous two Star Wars trilogies in some form or another in 2020 as well. 

While, from the two released so far, I don't think there is all that much to gain with 4k/HDR on their traditionally animated classics I want them to keep doing them as I feel it's important to support their efforts to do this stuff. I do get the impression they are only interested in their 'Signature' classics though, and their website suggests that the titles they consider worthy of this label are: Snow White, Cinderella, Bambi, 101 Dalmatians, Beauty and the Beast, Jungle book, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, Lady and the Tramp, Lion King, Aladdin, Fantasia and Little Mermaid. Obviously we've had Lion King and Little Mermaid on UHD now, and Cinderella should arrive with the new Blu-ray in June/July. Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan, Bambi and Lady & the Tramp have already received their Signature label Blu-rays since 2016, but that does not necessarily mean they won't come to UHD as Blu-ray got Lion King a year before the UHD, and I always thought it surprising that Disney opted to randomly release that UHD last December when 2019 marks the film's 25th anniversary and the release of the cg remake (perhaps it was to test the waters with one of their most popular titles, which could explain why UK didn't get Little Mermaid if Lion King's UK sales bombed). 

I've seen no word of the Aladdin Signature Edition Blu happening this year, but you'd kind of think it would land around the time the live action hits home video, which would be in the August/October timeframe so maybe that will be the next one after Cinderella (Fantasia will be 80yrs old next year so makes sense to hold it back for that anniversary). 

I wish they'd honour Tarzan's 20th anniversary this year but it seems unlikely as it's not one of the signature classics (the Blu-ray has nasty macroblocking in some shots, as does itunes apparently which would perhaps suggest it's a master fault rather than a compression error).

I'd really love to them to revisit some Hollywood/Touchstone/Buena Vista stuff, but chances look remarkably slim. Crimson Tide would be nice for example as the Blu looks rather dated. Likewise something like Unbreakable, which Shyamalan tweeted about getting a new 4k master a few months ago, but if Disney saw no incentive to do a disc of that to go alongside Universal's disc of Glass (and Disney are actually doing Glass themselves on UHD in the UK), then they'll probably never have an incentive to do it in future.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if Endgame will be Disney's first 100GB disc. They've been really crap about not doing triple layer releases (Last Jedi really could have done with one). All the Cap discs are 66GB, but I worry for Endgame given its length.

• Like 1

My copy of ALIEN shipped.  Hoping it will be here by Friday, following past pre-order purchases from Best Buy.

Best Buy shipped Winter Soldier and Civil War 4k.. guess I’ll be watching them a second time this week 😀

• Like 1

My Cap trilogy box set should ship out today for a Saturday delivery. Good Friday may delay it to next week though. We’ll see. Be nice to have it for the weekend.

I have Alien on the way from the US as for some reason the US version is absurdly cheap compared to £25 for the UK release.

Looks like there may still be some (independent) life at Fox Home Entertainment as far as near term releases are concerned.

Battle Angel artwork is beginning to surface in some territories (estimated for June/July), but Fox also have a promo for the recent release of Breakthrough coming to UHD at some point this summer, a film I've not even heard of.  The kid Who Would Be King is also getting a UK UHD (for a moment there it looked as if it wouldn't, but it is coming on 24th of June). 

qRDhvBLM.jpg

81ZTW3ZojuL._SL1500_.jpg

These discs would have been in the works before the Disney takeover though, but good to see whatever they were working on wasn't automatically written off in the transition. Hopefully it means Fight Club may still surface as I think it will be late in the year, at the earliest, before we see evidence of Fox discs coming under Disney (again, it'll be obvious if certain tech specs and back cover artwork layouts differ to Fox's own, and in the UK at least whether Sony's replication house begins doing Fox titles as currently they do not, whereas they do handle all of Disney's stuff). 

Thor and Thor: The Dark World have appeared with 5th of September listings in Germany.

https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_thor-4k-uhd-2d-action-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-2546605.html

https://www.saturn.de/de/product/_thor-the-dark-kingdom-4k-uhd-2d-action-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-2546606.html

Entire MCU run to date to be completed on UHD by end of 2019? With Scandanavian listings for the Iron Man films that Adam mentioned then it's looking like it might happen. Assuming we get those (August?) then what's left? Ant-Man, Dr Strange and Guardians? (and Cap Marvel, obviously).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NickC said:

When is Dr Strange coming out?

Heck knows. That, Ant-man and Guardians will have to be pretty random releases in not having anything to tie them into anytime soon.

And what are the odds we see Phases 1 through 4 in a box set?

It's possible. Universal and Sony were happy to allow Incredible Hulk and Homecoming to be included in the DVD/Blu-ray 'phase' box set releases so far. So far Disney have been more keen on box sets in the UK for UHD's than they have anywhere else though. As well as individual discs we had an Avengers box set on UHD here, and the Captain America films are a box set only here (suspect Iron Man trilogy will be too), but a phase 1-4 set in various territories would certainly make commercial sense to appeal to collectors.  

On 4/15/2019 at 3:14 PM, Adam Tyner said:

Glory has popped up on a few Scandinavian sites as an early August release.  We might hear something about a U.S. release soon.

Glory had a formal US announcement this week. 30th of July release date for the US.

10606_tn.jpg

• 4K REMASTER FROM THE CAMERA NEGATIVE, with HDR, approved by director Edward Zwick
  • ALL-NEW DOLBY ATMOS TRACK, as well as the original theatrical audio mix
  • Director's Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes with Commentary
  • Virtual Civil War Battlefield Interactive Map
  • "The True Story Continues" Documentary
  • "The Voices of Glory" Featurette
  • "The Making of Glory" Featurette
  • Visual Feature-Length Commentary (on the 4K Blu-ray disc)
  • Theatrical Trailer (on the 4K Blu-ray disc)

Once again Sony also including the original audio mix. I'm liking this new trend of theirs. 

• Like 2

Waterworld artwork:

52gsu8319146-waterworld_uhd.jpg

This has been listed with a July date in via some European listings. It's another one to tick off that Russian list of Universal catalogue titles (although this one was known beforehand after a foreign steelbook leak). Should be using the same master that Universal provided to Arrow for their Blu-ray, in which case it ought to look spectacular in native 4k with HDR as Arrow's disc is very good. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jordan_E said:

Best Buy.  Argh.  First time they didn't deliver a pre-order the Friday beforehand!  I'm bummed.

I got my Civil War and Winter Soldier 😀

• Like 3

The Easter Bunny delivered my Captain America Trilogy box set. Three standard UHD cases within a slip box just as I had hoped for, but the box is far, far nicer than I was anticipating (very sturdy and thick with a semi-embossed finish to the front artwork).   Good job, Disney. Amazing value all round for £35 really.

If an Iron Man set is priced and presented similarly in the UK later this year then I would happily pick that up even though the first one is far and away my favourite of those movies.

Looking forward to binging on these three (and chocolate, obviously) this weekend!

• Like 1