LCVG
Angry the Clown

UHD (4k) Blu-ray Discussion Thread

I hope they don't screw up the sound mix on those.

And can someone explain why somebody thought Godzilla 1998 in UHD was necessary?

10 minutes ago, AlbertA said:

And can someone explain why somebody thought Godzilla 1998 in UHD was necessary?

Quick cash in on the new movie. What's odd is that Warner have not seen fit to put out 2014 Godzilla to cash in on their own sequel this month. 🤷‍♂️ Perhaps when King of the Monsters hits UHD...

• Like 1

The Shining appears to have been dated for 1st of October.

I'm curious to know how Warner will handle this one given the different US and international cuts. My expectation is that they will limit it only to the US cut on UHD worldwide, but it would be great if they actually included both versions for all territories. 

• Like 2

Given that my views about the longer, rubbish US cut of The Shining are even stronger than those about  the longer, rubbish cut of Aliens I really hope they don't make it the only option.

• WTF 1

I don’t dislike the US version of The Shining. Not sure whether that’s because that’s the cut I saw first or what, but since Warner have never shown much interest in seamless branching, and seeing as how they like to make one disc for all territories where possible, I suspect everywhere will get the US cut. Hope I’m wrong as it’d be a nice way to preserve both. I haven’t heard which cut is screening at Cannes. 

Cannes running time suggests US version;

https://m.festival-cannes.com/en/festival/films/the-shining

Doesn’t guarantee that they won’t include the shorter cut on disc as well, but debuting the new restoration in Europe but it being the US cut is a fair indication of how the disc will pan out I think. 

I'm literally not buying it if it's the US cut. Yes, I am sulky, but all that exposition winds me up something rotten.

On 5/14/2019 at 11:42 AM, Angry the Clown said:

Quick cash in on the new movie. What's odd is that Warner have not seen fit to put out 2014 Godzilla to cash in on their own sequel this month. 🤷‍♂️ Perhaps when King of the Monsters hits UHD...

2014 godzilla is out, you just can’t see it.

Shining press release confirms it is just the US cut:

LuwEPSV.jpg

WARNER BROS. TO RELEASE STANLEY KUBRICK’S THE SHINING ON 4K ULTRA HD & DIGITAL ON OCTOBER 1ST

Now widely regarded as one of the greatest horror films ever made, The Shining was directed and produced by Kubrick, who wrote the screenplay with Diane Johnson. The film was based on the novel “The Shining” by Stephen King, and stars Jack Nicholson in an iconic role as Jack Torrance, Shelley Duval as Wendy Torrance, Scatman Crothers as Dick Halloran, and Danny Lloyd as Danny Torrance.

The 4K remastering was done using a new 4K scan of the original 35mm camera negative at Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging. Filmmaker Steven Spielberg and Stanley Kubrick’s former personal assistant Leon Vitali worked closely with the team at Warner Bros. during the mastering process.

The 4K remastering is of Kubrick’s original 146 minute version of the film which premiered in the United States on May 23rd, 1980.

On May 17th, the restored 4K version of the film will be screened at The Cannes Film Festival.

In 2018, The Shining was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.” The film ranked 29th on AFI’s 100 Years…100 Thrills list, and Jack Torrance was named the 25th greatest villain on the AFI’s 100 Years…100 Heroes and Villains list. Additionally, the quote “Here’s Johnny” from the film was ranked 68th on AFI’s 100 Years…100 Movie Quotes list.

Ultra HD showcases 4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR) and a wider color spectrum, offering consumers brighter, deeper, more lifelike colors for a home entertainment viewing experience like never before.

The Shining Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack features an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc with the feature film in 4K with HDR, a Blu-ray disc with the film in high definition and the special features in high definition, and a Digital version of the movie. Fans can also own The Shining in 4K Ultra HD via purchase from select digital retailers beginning on October 1. The Ultra HD Blu-ray of The Shining will include more than three hours of previously released special features.

Synopsis:
Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) becomes the winter caretaker at the isolated Overlook Hotel in Colorado, hoping to cure his writer’s block. He settles in along with his wife, Wendy (Shelley Duvall), and his son, Danny (Danny Lloyd), who is plagued by psychic premonitions. As Jack’s writing goes nowhere and Danny’s visions become more disturbing, Jack discovers the hotel’s dark secrets and begins to unravel into a homicidal maniac hell-bent on terrorizing his family.

Digital Distribution Elements:
On October 1 The Shining 4K UHD will be available to own for streaming and download to watch anywhere in high definition and standard definition on favorite devices from select digital retailers including GooglePlay, Vudu, Xbox and others, and will be made available digitally on Video On Demand services from cable and satellite providers, and on select gaming consoles.

The Shining Ultra HD Blu-ray contains the following previously released special features:

Audio commentary by Steadicam inventor Garrett Brown and Stanley Kubrick biographer John Baxter

Video from the Overlook: Crafting The Shining
-Enter the terrifying world of the Overlook Hotel as only Stanley Kubrick could envision it

The Visions of Stanley Kubrick
-A detailed look at one of cinema’s greatest visual storytellers and his unique ability to move audiences through the magic of unforgettable images

The Making of The Shining
-This cinema verite documentary offers a rare glimpse into the directing style of Stanley Kubrick as he interacts with stars Jack Nicholson, Shelly Duvall and others

Wendy Carlos, Composer
-Composer Wendy Carlos reflects on working with complex auteur Stanley Kubrick and developing music scores for The Shining and A Clockwork Orange

BASICS

Standard Street Date: October 1, 2019

EST Street Date: October 1, 2019

Ultra HD Blu-ray Languages: English, Latin Spanish, Parisian French, German,

Ultra HD Blu-ray Subtitles: English SDH, Latin Spanish, Parisian French, Arabic, Complex Chinese, Castilian Spanish, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, German SDH, Hungarian, Italian SDH, Italian Forced, Japanese, Japanese, Forced, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Swedish, Thai

Blu-ray Languages: English 5.1, Dolby Digital: English 5.1, Français 5.1, Español 5.1

Blu-ray Subtitles: English, Français, & Español

Running Time: 146 minutes

Rating: Rated R

The language and subtitle tracks for the UHD listed above effectively guarantee that this will be the same disc worldwide, with no shorter version for international territories. Shame as it would have been nice to preserve both, but again I've personally never disliked the longer cut.

• Like 1

Field of Dreams is a lovely disc. I’m so happy. The detail, the grain, the colour. Just a wonderfully engaging image, and an eternally engaging film. 

If this is consistent with the quality Universal deliver with future catalogue releases then truly we are spoilt. 

• Like 2

Stand By Me is coming coming on 27th of August from Sony.

10711_tn.jpg

4K BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES AND TECHNICAL SPECS:

• NEWLY SCANNED IN 4K FROM THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE, WITH HDR
  • NEW DOLBY ATMOS TRACK
  • NEW Never-Before-Seen Deleted & Alternate Scenes

ALSO INCLUDED ON THE BLU-RAY:

• Picture-in-Picture Video Commentary with Director Rob Reiner and Actors Wil Wheaton & Corey Feldman
  • "Walking the Tracks: The Summer of Stand By Me"
  • Audio Commentary with Director Rob Reiner

It's a catalogue release from Sony not tied to any kind of anniversary. More please!

Meanwhile some of the Craig Bond films have surfaced in listings again, this time in Europe and as individual releases rather than the Canadian 'Craig Collection' listing we'd seen previously. I'm concerned about the Bonds as if a few trickle out this year the future of the rest of them would be in question as they'd be Fox releases (on MGM's behalf) and who knows what will become of Fox Home Entertainment, or indeed their deal with MGM, in the long term. The newest Bond will come from Universal. 

Official announcement for Alita Battle Angel (Fox) for 23rd of July in the US, and 22nd in the UK:

10708_tn.jpg

SPECIAL FEATURES:

• Alita's World – get a deeper look into the world of Alita: Battle Angel with these dynamic motion comics.
    • The Fall – a look back at the terrible war that almost destroyed two planets and set the stage for the cyborg warrior Alita's return 300 years later.
    • Iron City – Hugo gives a guided tour of the Iron City he knows, showing off its dark corners and broken-down neighborhoods.
    • What it Means to be a Cyborg – hunter-warrior Zapan tracks his mark across Iron City while musing about what it means to be a cyborg.
    • Rules of the Game – A high-octane "crash course" in Motorball, introducing the rules, game-play, and the top-ranked players and their arsenal of weapons.
  • From Manga to Screen – a behind-the-scenes look into the origins of Yukito Kishiro's beloved manga, "Gunnm," and the long road to bring it to life on the big screen.
  • Evolution of Alita – how Alita was brought to life, from the casting of Rosa Salazar, to performance capture, and final VFX by WETA Digital.
  • Motorball – go inside Iron City's favorite pastime, from the origins and evolution of the sport, to rules on how the game is played.
  • James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez and cast Q&A moderated by Jon Landau.
  • Robert Rodriguez's 10 Minute Cooking School: Chocolate – a cooking lesson on how to make delicious chocolate like that seen in the movie.
  • 2005 Art Compilation (2019) – James Cameron's original compilation of concept art for the then-titled "Battle Angel: Alita," presented with new voiceover and music.
  • Scene Deconstruction – view three different stages of the production – the original live-action performance capture, the animation stage, and the final Weta VFX from four different scenes
    • I Don't Even Know My Own Name
    • Just an Insignificant Girl
    • I'm a Warrior Aren't I?
    • Kansas Bar

4K BLU-RAY TECHNICAL SPECS:

• Audio: English Dolby Atmos, English DTS-HD MA 2.0, English Descriptive Audio 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, French DTS 5.1
  • Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French

And Disney have formally dated Branagh's 2015 Cinderella for 25th of June (US).

10716_tn.jpg

Still no word on whether the Signature Edition of the animated version, coming to Blu on the same day, is also getting a UHD. Weird if it isn't as it's hard to wonder what the live action 4k disc would be cashing in on in which case, and it would be coming a month after Aladdin hits cinemas so they can't even throw this out as a live action remake cash in.  

2019 Pet Sematary (Paramount) on 9th of July:

10709_tn.jpg

4K BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES AND TECHNICAL SPECS:

• HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • DOLBY ATMOS AUDIO TRACK
  • Alternate Ending
  • Deleted and Extended Scenes
  • Night Terrors – Family Haunting Visions
    • Louis
    • Rachel
    • Ellie
  • The Tale of Timmy Baterman
  • Beyond the Deadfall
    • Chapter One: Resurrection – Directors, screenwriters and cast discuss bringing this classic back to life
    • Chapter Two: The Final Resting Place—A deeper look into finding the right location for the terror to unfold
    • Chapter Three: The Road to Sorrow— Inside the film's tragic themes and creating the iconic cat "Church"
    • Chapter Four: Death Comes home—Unearth the creepy elements behind the climax and final scenes of the film

I completely missed the most interesting piece of news regarding the Alita Battle Angel disc... it will be Fox’s first Dolby Vision title. As with some recent Lionsgate releases both DV and HDR10+ will be present (as will the standard HDR10 layer, obviously). 

Nice little bonus to see them putting the 3D disc in the Alita box - normally those that still care for such things are expected to buy both the 3D and UHD releases separately.

• Like 1

Shazam on 16th of July in the US with Atmos and Dolby Vision:

eb6f96_8d699c4eac0e45b39ae40e6c48a60f74~

I was scanning Twitter to see if I could find any news articles about the current state of play at Fox Home Entertainment. Nothing new, however one eagle eyed person happened to notice something about the cover art for the forthcoming release of The Breakthrough:

81fZCZrz8+L._SL1500_.jpg

Fox discs have traditionally read 'Digital' in reference to download codes on the cover banners. 'Digital Code' is wording Disney use. This is coming on 16th of July as well, a week before Alita which does still have the simple 'Digital' wording on the cover. It'll be interesting to see whether the back cover layout for Breakthrough is in Fox's style or Disney's.

Ang Lee's Hulk announced for 9th of July.

10730_tn.jpg

If Universal's recent catalogue titles are any indication this could look rather lovely. Sixteen year old movie that visually is more interesting than any of the contemporary Marvel movies.