LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Days Gone - New Sony Bend game

More info..

Originally Posted by 3rdamention

I assume this has been posted, but the Devs of Days Gone just sat down with RoosterTeeth and they are talking all about the game.

Since Rooster Teeth is broadcasting live, just click the link, rewind the video about 30-45 minutes, they are really breaking it down.

* Studio is about 100 people, was around 40 - 50 for Uncharted Vita.

* Game is PS4 Exclusive, no PC mode "We are Sony Bend, we are PS4 Exclusive" lol. At Sony Bend, they make it very clear during interview, everyone wears a lot of hats. Many people are involved in different aspects.

* One thing I picked up is you ride a special bike, called a Drifter, that can drive off road, they said lots of off roading since the roads are all broken up, "Broken Roads." The bike is needed to survive, it is like its own character. It has saddle bags that holds your inventory. The bike is grounded, you will need to "know where it is and manage it" Several devs are bikers, lots of research into the bike. Actually got it up on rollers to make sure they got the sound of the bike right.

* Also, weather has a big effect on traveling and how the bike handles.

* No Multiplayer at all, focusing on their strengths, single player story.

* Demo was a bounty hunting mission, hunting down a biker "2 Dog" and tried to show the danger of leaving the safety of encampments.

* Wanted the game to be a big sandbox of what you would do when "shit goes down."

* Weapons crafting system, they call a "MacGuyver Mentality" where the you figure out clever ways to build tools to get out of situations.

* Their demo they are showing off on show floor has "millions" of ways to play that demo, depending on what tools you bring with you. The environment also plays a huge role in how you deal with certain situations.

* Takes place just a few years after the "apocolypse" event. Society is starting to try to rebuild, as supplies are starting to run out. Made it sound like part of the game is figuring out what to do with the resources you find.

* Wildlife is in the game, they have a "huge" wildlife system they aren't going to talk much about right now. But the event didn't wipe out all wildlife.

* Not willing to talk yet about different story paths, different endings, etc. They chuckled but they dont want to talk about it yet.

* Zombie hoard was all real, no LOD tricks, there are that many people on the screen.

* No release date or time window. They aren't wanting to do that right now.

* It was huge for their studio to be right up there on stage, getting prime focus, along with all of Sony's other big studios. It showed them how much Sony believes in their product. It meant a lot to them.

And thats it! Loved listening to that.

Originally Posted by 3rdamention

I assume this has been posted, but the Devs of Days Gone just sat down with RoosterTeeth and they are talking all about the game.

Since Rooster Teeth is broadcasting live, just click the link, rewind the video about 30-45 minutes, they are really breaking it down.

* Studio is about 100 people, was around 40 - 50 for Uncharted Vita.

* Game is PS4 Exclusive, no PC mode "We are Sony Bend, we are PS4 Exclusive" lol. At Sony Bend, they make it very clear during interview, everyone wears a lot of hats. Many people are involved in different aspects.

* One thing I picked up is you ride a special bike, called a Drifter, that can drive off road, they said lots of off roading since the roads are all broken up, "Broken Roads." The bike is needed to survive, it is like its own character. It has saddle bags that holds your inventory. The bike is grounded, you will need to "know where it is and manage it" Several devs are bikers, lots of research into the bike. Actually got it up on rollers to make sure they got the sound of the bike right.

* Also, weather has a big effect on traveling and how the bike handles.

* No Multiplayer at all, focusing on their strengths, single player story.

* Demo was a bounty hunting mission, hunting down a biker "2 Dog" and tried to show the danger of leaving the safety of encampments.

* Wanted the game to be a big sandbox of what you would do when "shit goes down."

* Weapons crafting system, they call a "MacGuyver Mentality" where the you figure out clever ways to build tools to get out of situations.

* Their demo they are showing off on show floor has "millions" of ways to play that demo, depending on what tools you bring with you. The environment also plays a huge role in how you deal with certain situations.

* Takes place just a few years after the "apocolypse" event. Society is starting to try to rebuild, as supplies are starting to run out. Made it sound like part of the game is figuring out what to do with the resources you find.

* Wildlife is in the game, they have a "huge" wildlife system they aren't going to talk much about right now. But the event didn't wipe out all wildlife.

* Not willing to talk yet about different story paths, different endings, etc. They chuckled but they dont want to talk about it yet.

* Zombie hoard was all real, no LOD tricks, there are that many people on the screen.

* No release date or time window. They aren't wanting to do that right now.

* It was huge for their studio to be right up there on stage, getting prime focus, along with all of Sony's other big studios. It showed them how much Sony believes in their product. It meant a lot to them.

And thats it! Loved listening to that.

From Ironcreed

Exemplifying truly free-form gameplay, Days Gone offers freedom to explore, strategize and play “your way” in the vast high-desert of the Pacific Northwest. The hazardous environments, filled with carved out ridges, mountains, caves, cliffs mines and river basins, deliver a breathtaking backdrop to an equally diverse style of gameplay.

Emergent Gameplay

Featuring fully explorable environments and dynamic AI enemies, players will rely on their own abilities to strategize, craft weapons and tools, explore the world, and engage in combat. With almost every car, building and environment searchable, Days Gone delivers emergent gameplay possibilities, making a player’s approach to combat and discovery a vital part of the experience.

Stunning, Dynamic Graphics

Using the power of PlayStation 4 and Unreal Engine 4, Bend Studio has developed a high volume of rendering and gameplay technology to deliver an incredibly realistic open world experience. Realistic weather effects, such as rain, wind, snow and day-night cycles impact the gameplay. The game’s lighting is all real-time and reacts dynamically, the way the human iris does, as players move from one location to the next.

I was just saying...we really need more zombies across various forms of media.

Yeah we do. Where are the cereals at? No count chocula or franken berrie equivalent yet...

CP0EhEQ.png

I was just saying...we really need more zombies across various forms of media. 

I think it's because zombies are a "safe" antagonist group.  Who's gonna get offended that zombies are the bad guys, yet again?   :)

It looked too familiar and somewhat clumsy to me.

I did quite like the sheer overwhelming size of the sprawling zombie hordes, but nothing about the game seemed compelling, and I don't necessarily blame the zombie genre. I never played many zombie games. I played Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead and Zombi U. I think that's it. Nevertheless I do grow weary of further zombie game announcements, though I must admit I am quite keen to revisit the amusement of Dead Rising if Dead Rising 4 turns out to be good. Perhaps that's where my soft spot for the zombie genre lies, humour, as I always have the satire of Romero's zombie films in the back of my mind when I first think of zombies. With Day's Gone, it's how serious it seems to want to take itself, coming off like a pale Last of Us imitation, that is really the turn off. By comparison, State of Decay 2 looked more promising as a zombie game that takes itself seriously, but perhaps has more potential as a game given the apparent teamwork efforts required for survival. 

Holy cliches, Bat Man.

I mean, if it's fun to play, sure... but that voiceover. Crrriiinge.

Game seems to be shaping up nicely.  Non-scripted world with dynamic weather/time allowing for multiple ways to approach situations.  

• Like 1

One of my outstanding E3 - 2017 preorders. (The other is Death Stranding.) Response to the previews are mixed but I remain hopeful.

15 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Looks like Fallout.

If you would have said “The Last of Us” I might have agreed but outside of the post apocalyptic world, that looks nothing like Fallout to me.

The Fallout vibe came from the open world/Skyrim-like feel, with the post-apocalyptic setting, zombies, abandoned gas stations, and make-shift cities and more closely reminds me of Fallout.  Its just the closest open world comparison I can make from the games I've played.  I wasn't thinking gameplay obviously.

Ironically what made me think of Fallout more than anything was the scary car tunnel, and I now realize that that didn't remind me of Fallout, I was actually confusing Fallout with dying light.

There is that one shot of a zombie chewing on a guys neck, which obviously looks exactly like Last of Us.

10 hours ago, OldDarth said:

I'm sold. 

Yeah, that was great. Interest level rising.

I haven’t had much interest in this game so far, but with the recent track record of Sony’s first party content, I’m definitely keeping my eye on this, just in case. 

Oh, and that trailer Fight to Survive trailer was pretty good—definitely a lot to like there.