LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Insomiac and Sony bring you Spider-Man exclusively to PS4 - September 7th, 2018 release date

I've been trying to rush throw GOW so that I wouldn't have to feel guilty about playing this soon.  I failed.  I'm not going to finish GOW in time which means I will not be playing this on launch.  Ah, it is immoral to rush through games anyway.

• Like 1

I had to pull an extra on call shift for work, so I was able to easily excuse my ridiculousness ;).

I’m also really getting the Jones for an open world game AND a good Spider-Man game.

The intro is pretty fun, though I was really expecting a smash cut to ‘one month later’ based on some of the dialogue. Hasn’t happened yet.

I got a bare half hour with the game, but it comes out swinging at least (aheh) and pops you into control within a couple minutes of the start (lot of fun Easter eggs in the opening pan across the apartment too).

Web-slinging is good. I can see it being great once you get a handle on the controls, which will be my own toughest challenge, but I was happily zipping around the city with relative ease.

Combat is good, though Peter can’t take a punch like Batman, and you have to dodge a lot. Spider-sense is helpful and your time to react is pretty generous (and you can level it up for counters).

I really like the focus bar and how you can fill it up to either restore your health or do a button combo one punch takedown.

The web shooters are a blast to use in combat, and sticking people to walls is a hoot. It gets the feel of the character just right in terms of being a speedy acrobat with a great punch.

I haven’t cleared the whole intro section yet, I don’t think, as I don’t have any open world to roam yet, but it’s off to a promising start.

• Like 1

My copy arrives today but I'm deep into an Arkham City replay. That will have to get finished before I move over. Though as I said, I'm relatively deep into it so I don't expect it to be very long before I'm web swinging my through New York.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mark E said:

The photo mode looks quite amazing - people are getting some dynamite shots with it.

My nephew shared this one. 

6801F365-1844-4B9B-A488-CFE235DF7280.jpeg

• Like 2

This game thinks I'm better at fighting than I am.  Took me way more tries to beat mobs than I should have.  Struggling with controls and combos a bit.  Like Batman, I gotta get in a rhythm and Im just not there yet.  I'll get there though.  Gotta keep moving.  Can't get stuck in one place too long.

And transversal isn't as smooth as it should be.  This is one of those games that gets exponentially more fun as you get better at it.  Looking forward to getting better.

Combat is a struggle for me mainly because I’ve played the Batman games back to back now and I keep pressing the Xbox equivalent of the Y button instead of the O to dodge. It’s clicking for me though and I’m loving the stealth takedowns which are VERY Arkham inspired. I’m playing on the hardest difficulty and was mixing in some cool shit by the time I stopped. I especially love the web shooters and combining them with a dodge to throw webbing in a dudes face and take them out of the fight for a bit. I’ve just got to get over my own muscle memory with the Arkham games (which won’t happen for a bit since I stopped to get back to finishing Arkham City).

Traversal not smooth? I couldn’t disagree more. The web slinging is superb and once you get in the habit of using the reticle and L2 + R2 combo to zip to a section and then press X to point jump you’ll be moving around the city like a champ. The best is using L3 to dive to gain speed and the hit R2 to pull out into a web swing, then into a jump at the apex and hit x to web dive forward into another swing. It’s like a well executed combo in a fighting game. Simple but with enough learning curve that you have to practice a little to master. As it should be. 

• Like 1

USGamer was saying that to excel in combat you can and should be using the shit out of your gadgets. I have yet to put this into action, but I have found combat a challenge to get used to.

Currently I’ve been avoiding the story to hunt backpacks. There are some really cool callbacks to early Spider-Man there.

Story is great, love stopping crime. Do not have the hang of combat or web slinging but I feel that’s more on me than the game, which I’m fine with.

For basic ass huge mobs, the special power from the starting suit is quite useful if you can get people bunched up.

7 hours ago, Romier S said:

raversal not smooth? I couldn’t disagree more. The web slinging is superb and once you get in the habit of using the reticle and L2 + R2 combo to zip to a section and then press X to point jump you’ll be moving around the city like a champ. The best is using L3 to dive to gain speed and the hit R2 to pull out into a web swing, then into a jump at the apex and hit x to web dive forward into another swing. It’s like a well executed c

We are on the same page.  I'm saying that I haven't mastered those combinations yet, so the process isn't effortless yet.  I keep pressing r2 to swing and nothing happens.  I think what's going on is that you're supposed to fall for a bit before you cast a web to swing.  So I'm trying, nothing happens, I'm confused, sometimes I just fall and land on rooftops and have to get going again. So it is not smoother for me yet.

Well that was fucking awesome.  Just did my first warehouse of guys mission.  The strategy and arena of that fight made for infinite fun.  Even when I was dying I was happy to give it another shot because I knew I just needed to improve.  Soooo fun.  And the open world stuff is fun too in the way Arkham City was fun.  Tipping point hit.

The most impressive thing about this game is that there could be 10 guys in the room, I could be in the air flying away from the 10 guys, the camera is pointing away from the guys so Im basically blind and somehow the game knows I want to attack the guy with the gun next to the street light.  I attack who I want to attack.  It's awesome.

This is really good.  I'm using the suit power that launches the little drone.  It does a great job with the mobs.

I've been collecting all of the back packs and photographs.  Don't know why it is fun but it is.  I was sad that they are almost gone.  Then I saw there 3x more stuff that is locked and not on my map yet.

Haven't even done Aunt May's party yet.

Argh you guys are making it hard to not grab this.... but I still have to play MGS5. And I head on vacation in a few weeks. I can wait*.

*Statements made here are not always true.

• Like 1

Finally had some time to play late yesterday after my 12 year old spent a good chunk of time with it. The nailed the swinging -  it seemed very natural to me.

Combat is good - obviously Arkham inspired which is a good thing. Batman fighting style is more punchy, Spider-man is more acrobatic - neat that you can tell characters apart by combat mechanics - or maybe I'm just convincing myself - either way same outcome :)

So far I prefer Arkham City's more punchy, guttural feeling to the combat. In the hardest difficulty for Spider-man - there hasn't been much of a challenge yet. I hope it's just a different difficulty progression curve.

I love games where the nail the image quality so much that you don't see aliasing - I'm sure there is once you pixel peep but I can't tell while playing normally. The interaction in the city, the number of npcs and cars make the city feel alive. As opposed to Arkham City/Knight where it just feels desolated all around.

The polish in this game is also very visible. The different voice acting takes (it changes based on whether you are just chilling/walking vs swinging around), the density of the city, the superb animations, the character modeling, texture and motion cap work, the dialog (nails the spiderman vibe) - Insomniac knocked it out of the park.

Is it a revolutionary game? - no - but it absolutely nails the Spider-man vibe just as Rocksteady's Arkham games nailed Batman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Argh you guys are making it hard to not grab this.... but I still have to play MGS5. And I head on vacation in a few weeks. I can wait*.

*Statements made here are not always true.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/7/2018 at 12:05 PM, Mark E said:

His lazy ass should be hustling over to the top of Avengers Tower for the achievement. Kids today :P

His lazy ass just got Platinum.  😳

• Like 1