LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Insomiac and Sony bring you Spider-Man exclusively to PS4 - September 7th, 2018 release date

On 9/8/2018 at 4:17 AM, Mark E said:

For basic ass huge mobs, the special power from the starting suit is quite useful if you can get people bunched up.

I did a ground pound followed by that mass-web super against a mugging.  All 8 or 9 people instantly webbed on the ground.  It was so satisfying.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlbertA said:

So far I prefer Arkham City's more punchy, guttural feeling to the combat. In the hardest difficulty for Spider-man - there hasn't been much of a challenge yet. I hope it's just a different difficulty progression curve.

I'm just not as skilled as you.  Sometimes I'm surrounded by so many bad guys, I'm fighting one of them, and then get shot in the face by someone 50 feet away.  I don't have the quickness to string together moves and dodges quickly enough to destroy large groups of bad guys the way it sounds like you are.  Instead I need to apply some strategy using the environment to give me that little bit of advantage I need.  For the one-off crime pop-ups in the city that doesn't work well for me because I don't have time to figure out a strategy before I'm dead and the event is lost forever.  But for the warehouses I can retry until I figure it out.  Sounds like you never need to retry.  But I'm fine with it, it is fun even when I fail.

1 hour ago, Kyle-K said:

I did a ground pound followed by that mass-web super against a mugging.  All 8 or 9 people instantly webbed on the ground.  It was so satisfying.

How do you do a ground pound?  Do you have to buy that skill?

2 hours ago, foogledricks said:

I'm just not as skilled as you.  Sometimes I'm surrounded by so many bad guys, I'm fighting one of them, and then get shot in the face by someone 50 feet away.  I don't have the quickness to string together moves and dodges quickly enough to destroy large groups of bad guys the way it sounds like you are.  Instead I need to apply some strategy using the environment to give me that little bit of advantage I need.  For the one-off crime pop-ups in the city that doesn't work well for me because I don't have time to figure out a strategy before I'm dead and the event is lost forever.  But for the warehouses I can retry until I figure it out.  Sounds like you never need to retry.  But I'm fine with it, it is fun even when I fail.

I haven't played much, but I finished the Otto mission, all the unlocked spectrograms and circuits a few police towers and found some backpacks.  I did fail on some of the crimes which had Brutes. I didn't quite have the cadence down yet when a Brute shows up. But it didn't feel particularly challenging. Maybe that's because the combat is fun or maybe because I had my training with the Arkham series.

Arkham series definitely helps. Especially if you’ve recently played the games. In the opening Kingpin mission, I was fighting his thugs and realized I had racked up a 48 hit combo without noticing. That’s after fucking up the dodge button enough times to feel annoyed enough to pause and compose myself before the battle in question. That’s straight from having played through two Batman games in the last month. Spider-Man absolutely does its own thing and differentiates as you go along but the foundation is pure Arkham and the “free flow” nature of the combat is felt early on.

Has anyone had any issues with this game crashing?  I’ve already have 5 separate crashes.  Thankfully, i haven’t lost any progress but it’s quite frustrating.  

No issues so far here.

Ive done 3 of the hideouts now - those are rally fun  -  now that I have more abilities the combat is really opening up.

2 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Try a delete and reinstall?

No, will try that.  Thanks.

Currently at 56%.  Loving the game but I’m glad I’m done with those damn pigeons.  

11 hours ago, Angel P said:

Has anyone had any issues with this game crashing?  I’ve already have 5 separate crashes.  Thankfully, i haven’t lost any progress but it’s quite frustrating.  

I've had one crash so far.  I've seen some other bugs though, like not being able to use the L1+R1 object yank on a side mission.  Had to use the L2 manual aim over the object, then hit L1 and R1 while holding in L2.  Felt like I was playing Amplitude all over again.  The old one, not the new crappy one.

I haven't seen any glitches.  But I have thought there were glitches.  Until I googled it and discovered I just wasn't doing the right thing.

I have repeatedly been frustrated on small building tops where I'm fighting Brutes and I dodge outward, toward the building edge, only to hit an invisible wall that is meant to prevent you from falling off.  God damn it, I want to fall off, but I'm pinned against an invisible wall while a Brute is punching me and I'm panicking and don't think to jump or dodge inward, my instinct says dodge away and it has killed me twice now.

I want to say that I'd rather fall of the building and have to swing back up than deal with invisible walls.  But maybe there are times where I'd prefer not to accidentally fall off the building.  So I recognize that.  But this invisible wall thing is the only thing in this game that has pissed me off enough to swear out loud while playing.

1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

I haven't ran into a single invisible wall and frequently go right off rooftops.

Maybe that's why it messed me up?  Maybe it isn't supposed to be an invisible wall but sometimes it is.  Which is why it caught me off guard.  I'm not sure.  I assumed when I had fallen off buildings before it was because I jumped off, buy maybe you can sometimes dodge off.  I just have to train myself to not panic , and don't just spam on the dodge button.

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

I've seen some other bugs though, like not being able to use the L1+R1 object yank on a side mission.  Had to use the L2 manual aim over the object, then hit L1 and R1 while holding in L2.

I’ve had some of those happen as well. Too bad really as these little annoying issues are what’s going to keep it from challenging God of War as my game of the year.  

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

I haven't ran into a single invisible wall and frequently go right off rooftops.

Same. I love pulling enemies towards me with the web zip cause I kick them right off of the building at that point lol. Spidey is a murdering bastard in this game which is interesting/surprising. The Arkham games were super careful about rooftop combat, basically making it impossible to throw an enemy off of a rooftop or having them accidentally fall so as to ensure Batman isn't killing anyone. I've thrown dudes off of the tallest skyscraper in this game with no such issue.

It would have been interesting to build in something into the move set/combat that would alert the player of an enemy being in danger of flying off of a building. Then Spidey has to save them with a button press by doing one of the takedown moves where he webs them to a wall or basically hits a failed state in the game. Perhaps that's too unruly and would kill the fun (pun intended!)? There's definitely some cognitive dissonance between the lighthearted depiction of Spider-Man and the actions you are allowed to take as the player.

No glitches.bugs thus far for me as of yet. *crosses fingers*

1 minute ago, Romier S said:

Same. I love pulling enemies towards me with the web zip cause I kick them right off of the building at that point lol. Spidey is a murdering bastard in this game which is surprising. The Arkham games were super careful about rooftop combat, basically making it impossible to throw an enemy off of a rooftop so as to ensure Batman isn't killing anyone. I've thrown dudes off of the tallest skyscraper in this game with no such issue.

That's funny.  I always laugh when ever Spidey does a silent takedown from above, where he pulls the guy up in the air, and then smashes their face into a steel beam.  They're not unconscious.  They are dead.

Oh wait, there is one thing I could use help with.  When I encounter a car accident.  Sometimes the at-fault driver runs.  Hit and runs.  And I'm supposed to get him.  But I can never figure out how I'm supposed to find him.  I look around.  At my map.  I press R3 thinking something will be highlighted on my screen.  But I never see anything and he always gets away while I'm looking around for him.  I look on the screen for any indication but never see any. 

6 hours ago, Romier S said:

Same. I love pulling enemies towards me with the web zip cause I kick them right off of the building at that point lol. Spidey is a murdering bastard in this game which is interesting/surprising. The Arkham games were super careful about rooftop combat, basically making it impossible to throw an enemy off of a rooftop or having them accidentally fall so as to ensure Batman isn't killing anyone. I've thrown dudes off of the tallest skyscraper in this game with no such issue.

It would have been interesting to build in something into the move set/combat that would alert the player of an enemy being in danger of flying off of a building. Then Spidey has to save them with a button press by doing one of the takedown moves where he webs them to a wall or basically hits a failed state in the game. Perhaps that's too unruly and would kill the fun (pun intended!)? There's definitely some cognitive dissonance between the lighthearted depiction of Spider-Man and the actions you are allowed to take as the player.

Often when you launch someone off the building Spidey auto shoots a little webbing after them.  A lot of the enemies end up stuck to the building across the street. (Unless there's not a building across the street :( )  

Sometimes they behave like they have a web mine attached to them.

Knock one off, and jump off after them to see.

• Like 1