LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Insomiac and Sony bring you Spider-Man exclusively to PS4 - September 7th, 2018 release date

On 6/13/2017 at 8:57 AM, foogledricks said:

Um, this is now my #1 game that I want.  Mordor 2 is second.  But damn, this game is absolute nobrainer day #1 $60 purchase.

I guess this looks good if you're into super awesome games that are fun to play.

3 hours ago, JFo said:

I guess this looks good if you're into super awesome games that are fun to play.

Every game that I've played in the last few years, whether I loved them or hated them, were purchased because I made some sober assessment that I would probably like the game based on what everyone else was saying.  I just don't mark my calendar for games anymore.  Sequels to games I loved might merit a Day 1 purchase.  I think I got Arkham Knight on Day 1.  But this game, based solely on the video, bam, Day 1.  They have lightening in a bottle here. 

Yeah very little gameplay tidbits. I think the last trailer had more. A lot of focus on big set pieces on this one  I just hope it plays fine too.

16 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

How can this not be the best game ever.

Aunt May is now Aunt Martha

• Haha 1

This is nitpicking, but the web used in that trailer looks pretty bad.  When he restrains the guy on the ground.  Looks almost like a Minecraft spider web.

Image result for minecraft spider web

image.png.d77a63be4b21ae98af044e6e4638435f.png

Outside of the nitpick of the spider-web, that's a ridiculously confident video ;) If it's that fluid, consistent & smooth in the hands of gamers, we finally have a next-gen Spider-Man. 

My only quibble with the latest reincarnation of Spidey is the implementation of Stark tech into his suits - turning him into an Ironman Jr.

Spidey is cool enough on his own IMO.

But it's great that fans of the Iron Spider suit will get to play with it in the game.

• Like 1

Here's a summary for the video impaired:

- Final game has identical texture resolution to the E3 demo. The Spiderman suit material changed (E3 suit was glossy). An artistic change, not technical.
- Per-pixel motion blur. Best implementation they've seen to date. Adjustable in-game.
- No checkerboard rendering on PS4 Pro, uses temporal injection technique used in Ratchet and Clank.
- Adaptive resolution on PS4 Pro. Ranges from 3456x1944 to 2560x1368. Hitting that low point is "extremely rare". Average resolution is 2816x1584. Upgrade from E3 demo which was 1440p.
- Base PS4 also uses adaptive resolution. Most of the time it's 1080p but can hit 900p.
- Building reflections blend between four cube maps depending on height.
- Missing puddles not due to performance issues. Artistic change. Reflection cube map changed from the one used in E3 demo. DF hypothesizes it would have been difficult to re-adjust puddle placement taking the change into account.
- Puddle reflections work the same as they do in the E3 demo.
- Uses volumetric lighting with great shadow quality and ambient occlusion.
- Cars use different types (incandescent, LED) and colors of headlights. Attention to detail overall is pretty nuts.
- Traffic and pedestrian density appears higher in the final game.
- Slight shadow differences in the final game vs the E3 demo. Looks more realistic in the final game. Overall more lighting/artistic differences.
- Texture detail, building interior detail, reflections, and lighting are better in certain scenes in the final game vs. the E3 demo.
- Runs at solid, stable 30fps on both PS4 and PS4 Pro "99% of the time". A dropped frame or two can happen. Motion blur adds to the smooth experience.
- Some scenes require loading. Relatively quick (< 10 seconds).

• Like 2

Apparently you can also unlock the classic Ditko original Spider-Man outfit and it’s cel-shaded so it looks like the comic book :D

I hope the 60’s cartoon version is there too, but I’ll be using the hoodie Clone outfit when I eventually get my copy...

• Like 1