LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Stranger Things - New Netflix Supernatural/Thriller series debuting in July

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

Ep. 7 is the only thing that remotely qualifies. Again, it’ll be divisive.

I’m not sure what I thought about Ep. 7. I’m on Ep. 9 right now and I hope they pull it together before this thing is over. 

43 minutes ago, kelley said:

I’m not sure what I thought about Ep. 7. I’m on Ep. 9 right now and I hope they pull it together before this thing is over. 

It’s an episode that serves to do multiple things but primarily to setup the next two seasons. They pull everything together nicely by the end.

Indeed. A few ups and downs from me:

- Eleven is still a wonderfully compelling character and Millie Bobby Brown is an extremely talented young woman. There are elements to her arch that work (her time with Hop and that bond that forms) and others that don’t (the time spent at her birth mothers home drags a bit too long for my taste) but she is the anchor that keeps the ship from sailing too far off course. Even when she’s hundreds of physical miles away.:D

- The weakest addition to this season was Billy. I get it, we need the jock douchebag to take the place of Steve but his presence never felt like a natural menace. It was manufactured to give Max her moment in the end and that felt dishonest because some of their interactions made it seem like there’s something more sinister going on. There really isn’t. He’s just an asshole step brother! I did like that there was some attempt at deepening him a little once his father comes into the picture. Also, he’s totally going in on Mikes mom next season...lol.

- Mopey Mike was a bit of a downer. It wasn’t until he finally found someone else to save in Will that he becomes the Mike of old. The epilogue for the season is pitch perfect. I legit got the feels when he finally gets his girl in the end. Beautiful moment. Honestly the epilogue is perfect period. With the Steve/Dustin connection, Lucas and Max’s kiss and Nancy picking Dustin up when he needed it the most. Even poor Will finally got a much needed pick me up. There’s a great sense of closure even knowing more is coming.

- Season 3 needs to leave Will Beyers alone. I say that half in jest and half with complete seriousness. I don’t know that I can watch another season of that poor kid being put through hell.

- R.I.P. Bob the Brain. Loved Sean Astin in this. His character was the right mix of dork and sweet and he provided Ryder/Joyce with someone to share some real moments with and be less of the insane broken down mom we saw in season 1.. His death is utterly utterly choreographed but that last image of him is fucking brutal.:(

- Great damned job in going against type and casting Paul Reiser as a GOOD guy! He’s always going to be the corporate dick from Aliens so you go in expecting him to be the next Modine here. He’s not and I appreciated that.

- Episode 7. Yeah, that’s an interesting one. I thought it strange (heh) that this season was 9 episodes as compared to 8 from its predecessor and now I understand why. Frankly, you could yank episode 7 out entirely from the series, make some minor modifications and it wouldn’t change the calculus of the season much. There’s important character development for Eleven here that could be executed differently and arrive at the same place and I don’t think it’s cynical to say that. However, in listening to the Duffer brothers talk about the episode - it’s apparent they wanted to experiment a little. Go outside of the safe confines of Hawkins with a real tonal change for Chicago.

I think it works. I think it also does some key world building with the apparent threat of “Papa” still being out there, Eight running around in the world (and maybe others?) and some bigger questions about the program that spawned them. I can see how it’s divisive coming off of a big cliffhanger the episode before. It definitely has an X-Men/New Mutants vibe but it’s the underlying story of Eleven trying to find her place in the world that works for me. The whole time I was thinking “this whole thing just isn’t Eleven AT ALL” and she rewarded me in the end for thinking that.:)

- Steve Harrington for president. Steve is the man this season and his “Adventures in Babystitting” schtick was some of the best stuff this season.

- The mind flayer has a much bigger role to play but I did feel like it never provided the tangible horror the Demogorgan did in the first season. I absolutely adore Lovecraft and cosmic horror so the trailers hinting at this creature really excited the hell out of me. Seeing it not have a corporeal form at all and being more of possession story left me a bit disappointed. Chalk that up to misplaced expectations I suppose. I wanted the finale of “The Mist” creature wise inhabiting the upside down place and I didn’t get that. I still want that in the future once they flesh out more about the shadow monster and it’s continued efforts to intrude into our world.:)

Just finished it up and in the end it all made for one hell of a season in the end. I agree on everything you said Romier....

though I did not have a problem with billy, especially because I could not stop laughing at the scene with Mikes Mom. Steve is the fucking man, Lucas sister is a riot, and frankly I love every character on this show so I could probably write a huge post about each one.

As for episode 7, pure future season set up for others with powers. I’m glad they did it now ,and got it out of the way. That giant thing is gonna come eventually and they are gonna need a team to take it down. It is very x-men, but with a horror spin and I am more then fine with that.

Episode 8 was straight up Jurassic Park Homage.

Watched the after show stuff, and there is even more 80's references and early episode fore shadowing then I picked up on.

So uh Stranger Things is sort of popular:)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/stranger-things-2-ratings-nielsen-claims-huge-netflix-audience-1054372

The company released its latest, and most interesting, SVOD measurement to date on Thursday afternoon — citing an audience of 15.8 million viewers, nearly 11 million of them adults 18-49, watching the sophomore premiere episode, "Chapter One," within three days of its launch. (Eat your undead heart out,Walking Dead.) Both of those numbers, by Nielsen standards, are equivalent to the live-plus-3 ratings data you see from traditional TV.

These numbers are not authenticated by Netlfix, which has kept mum on the subject, and don't yet include mobile. But they do paint the most vivid picture yet of who's watching the streamer's biggest pop culture hit. Nielsen also says that 361,000 subscribers streamed the entire nine-episode season within 24 hours of its release.

Other compelling data includes the fact that at least 4 million U.S. viewers have already watched every episode of Stranger Things 2.

I've managed to make it through 3 episodes so far, and I am seriously thinking of buying a 12 pack of beer and finishing the rest today.  I think I'll sleep in tomorrow.

• Like 2

On 10/29/2017 at 12:01 PM, Jordan_E said:

I hated episode 7.  'Nuff said.

Just finished the series. Yeah it seems tonally out of place. They could have removed it and nothing would have changed...

45 minutes ago, AlbertA said:

Just finished the series. Yeah it seems tonally out of place. They could have removed it and nothing would have changed...

This is what they should have done.  They should have had the character that was the focus of episode 7 just leaving on a bus and that was it.  We don't know what happens.  Mystery.  Then when and if the character eventually returns, we don't know what happened, the other characters don't know what happened, and then in Season 3 they can revisit it as a flashback just as they revisited a bunch of things in a flashback during Season 2.

Quite enjoyed s2. As with the first series, my weakness for 80s coming of age stuff with the kids just being kids again made that the strongest element for me. The ending was very cute. 

ep7 felt like an episode of Heroes. 

• Like 1

Guys, I'm going to need you all to turn on the way back machine for this reference to make sense.  Ready?  Okay, so I would say I'm ultimately indifferent to episode 7.  In a series season with more than ten episodes (anything with 12 or 15 and beyond really), I'm fine with going with a one off.  But with something as compact as eight or nine, it really feels weird.  I feel like they could've done something different (and stay consistent with the rest of the season) to reach the same emotional/thematic conclusions with Eleven.  I didn't hate it, but it throws the rhythm of the season off a bit considering the cliffhanger of episode 6.

If this episode reminded me of anything, it's Top of the Heap from Married... With Children.  That was the first thought I had.

Watching season 2 kept me wishing the Duffer brothers should have been handed the Ready Player One project instead of Spielberg. 

• Like 1

I’m in India right now for work, all my team here wants to talk about is Stranger Things. I’ve been in Kolkata, Chennai, and Bangalore all have had multiple billboards for Stranger Things 2. On TV the commercial plays every other commercial break. Needless to say it is truly an international smash. 

On 05/11/2017 at 4:17 PM, Dimness said:

Guys, I'm going to need you all to turn on the way back machine for this reference to make sense.  Ready?  Okay, so I would say I'm ultimately indifferent to episode 7.  In a series season with more than ten episodes (anything with 12 or 15 and beyond really), I'm fine with going with a one off.  But with something as compact as eight or nine, it really feels weird.  I feel like they could've done something different (and stay consistent with the rest of the season) to reach the same emotional/thematic conclusions with Eleven.  I didn't hate it, but it throws the rhythm of the season off a bit considering the cliffhanger of episode 6.

As a "world building" episode it didn't work for me as, in all honesty, I'm not interested in that world and its characters getting bigger. Again, it just felt clumsy and Heroes-esque. So many of the movies the show shamelessly rips its inspiration from are contained stories (small town, bunch of kids with a handful of adult type affairs), and I think the bigger the universe of Stranger Things gets the more the show might suffer. I'm not gasping in anticipation of a third season. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

As a "world building" episode it didn't work for me as, in all honesty, I'm not interested in that world and its characters getting bigger. Again, it just felt clumsy and Heroes-esque. So many of the movies the show shamelessly rips its inspiration from are contained stories (small town, bunch of kids with a handful of adult type affairs), and I think the bigger the universe of Stranger Things gets the more the show might suffer. I'm not gasping in anticipation of a third season. 

I agree.  But you're reminding me.  I became almost sick of the now iconic nose bleeding thing.  She has used her powers way too much now, and had a nose bleed after, for me to think it is cool anymore.  It is almost a saturday night live skit at this point.  And them ramping up the power crap for season 3 will make the show go down hill.  They should use 11 sparingly.  In fact, I kinda hope they Spiderman 2 her ass and take her powers away.

Glad, just what they need to tell the story.  Trim the fat.

Can't say I like revealing the episode titles.  Just makes me think about what it could mean and I spoil myself.  Like "The Birthday" makes me think some beast or monster or thing is going to be birthed during that episode.  Spoiler.