LCVG
NickC

The Official Television and Display Technology Thread - Enter of your own will.....(and leave with a lighter wallet)

That's why a Very Bad And Wrong part of me keeps staring at the Sony A1 as prices start to fall ahead of the A9, because that thing is just a screen, and the 55" is basically the same height at the 49" XF90 that's my "I haven't really got room for a 55" OLED" backup once you include stands. 122.8x71.1cm if you're counting.

Of course, it's still over TWO THOUSAND POUNDS at the moment, or twice the XF90. But.

Vizio’s PQ65 is getting insane reviews right now. Z9 levels of performance for 1/3rd the price point (this set is on sale for $1500 at Best Buy at the moment). Peak 2,000 nit in HDR, amazing black levels with FALD enabled, etc.

https://referencehometheater.com/2018/reference-ht-reviews/vizio-pq65-f1-image-analysis-review/

• Like 1

https://www.slashfilm.com/war-on-motion-smoothing/

High-profile directors Christopher Nolan and Paul Thomas Anderson have reached out to television manufacturers to ensure that audiences at home are able to see films presented as closely as possible to the director’s original intention, and a new “reference mode” will implement the results of a new director’s survey.

Vincent doesn't believe there will be a true hdmi 2.1 TV at CES 2019, 48gbps being the limiting factor for the soc. Hopefully they can get the rest of the features out, I'm not in the market for an 8k tv, but a 75 inch 4k is definitely on my list for 2019.

• Like 1

Yes that was an interesting video. If he’s right that 2.0b can in fact do VRR...etc (should a manufacturer choose to provide a firmware update of course) then it does make true 2.1 support less essential.

On 10/24/2018 at 2:54 PM, Angry the Clown said:

Yes that was an interesting video. If he’s right that 2.0b can in fact do VRR...etc (should a manufacturer choose to provide a firmware update of course) then it does make true 2.1 support less essential.

I just now watched that video. Yeah it sounds like the only negative to 2.0b with all of the 2.1 accouterments is the bandwidth needed for something like 8k, and there's no reason to wait for that.   

Also, Vincent videos are always worth watching just for his comedic delivery. 😆

1 hour ago, Starhawk said:

I just now watched that video. Yeah it sounds like the only negative to 2.0b with all of the 2.1 accouterments is the bandwidth needed for something like 8k, and there's no reason to wait for that.   

Mmm. As I see it the roadblocks would still likely be that:

1) 2.0b devices seemingly require a  chipset that can be patched with all those interesting additional features, so not all existing chipsets may be created equal. Is the compatibility difference defined by 2.0b vs 2.0? I’m not sure.

2) That manufacturers would bother to update those chipsets even if it is possible.

Denon have only patched eARC into their latest mid to high end receivers. Is that because they have different chipsets compared to the more entry level options or is it because they’re deliberately choosing to deprive their cheaper models of an added feature? I’ve no idea.

Sadly I do think that companies will seize on 2.1 as a selling point for new devices so wouldn’t expect any patches beyond eARC even if a manufacturer happened to use a chipset capable of more. It’d be nice of manufacturers were more open about whether their current products can do VRR, QMS, ALLM, QFT and other new and confusing acrony, but we’re kind of lacking in companion devices to turn those into buzz words anyone knows about and can benefit from. That said, we know the X outputs VRR and we know some Samsung’s support VRR and ALLM.

It does make sense that we may not see displays with VRR...etc as a common feature until 2020 as that is when we can expect next gen game systems will which probably promote VRR quite heavily. For receivers they’d be smart to pre-empt that with 2.1 features by the end of 2019 in my opinion, whether in the shape of everything but the 8k bandwith or “full fat” 2.1, then at CES 2020 we’ll perhaps see actual 2.1 input displays. Who knows though? Some might even want to have it only on their forthcoming 8k displays.

Again I could not care less about 8k but I do think that those other aspects of 2.1 sound terrific and hugely beneficial. I definitely won’t replace my TV until 2020 at the earliest but, again, it’d be nice if manufacturers could be more forthcoming about what their existing chipsets are capable of.

It’s not all 8k though. I’m interested in 4K HDR 120 FPS RGB which requires 2.1 Bandwith.

Actually just transmitting 4k60 HDR 12 bit RGB requires more than the 2.0 BW - this why they have to do color conversions and chroma subsampling today.

ALLM is just a flag so no bandwidth requirements there.

QMS is also just a set of flags to quickly negotiate frame rate/resolution so it doesn’t need 2.1 BW either

VRR itself does not require bandwidth but the target frame rates do. With 2.0 you could do up to 4k60 or 1080p120. Perhaps useful for current gen for games hitting 40fps and the like.

With the increased BW of 2.1 you could do up to 4k120HDR which would be potentially useful for next gen or PC.

QFT requires 2.1 BW at 4K because it’s all about transmitting the source frame as fast as possible to reduce lag.

I hope the industry focuses on FPS rather than 8k.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AlbertA said:

I hope the industry focuses on FPS rather than 8k.

From everything Digital Foundry talks about with regards to the hardware options on the table for next gen, we still probably shouldn’t expect native 4k at 60, even 30, across the board with every  new title if they also want to push graphical enhancements with significant generational leaps over the X and Pro. It’s likely to be a similar mix of native and not quite native 4k to what we have now, but hopefully with more 60fps titles.

To that end, I don’t think anyone will be thinking about 8k gaming for a very long time. 8k TVs will appear of course, and JVC’s latest top end projector does simulated 8k, all that is fine from the potential of upscaling (particularly with 70”+ displays).

Phil Spencer has said he wants to shift focus to framerates which is good, but again we’d surely be looking at 60fps targets at best next gen. Emphasis on targeting 60, and hyping up VRR, seems to be the way they will go to promote smoother performance with the new systems.

I really am quite proud of the wonderful people I follow across social networks that I've received this post so many times since it went up yesterday.