LCVG
NickC

The Official Television and Display Technology Thread - Enter of your own will.....(and leave with a lighter wallet)

Thanks for the info.  I think at this point, when my lamp in my projector goes, I'll in a panic buy whatever the best projector is.  Right now that may be the 5040.  And in a couple months we'll see what pops up on the radar.  Thanks again.

25 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

Thanks for the info.  I think at this point, when my lamp in my projector goes, I'll in a panic buy whatever the best projector is.  Right now that may be the 5040.  And in a couple months we'll see what pops up on the radar.  Thanks again.

I replaced the lamp in my current projector not too long ago, so I'm good on that score. I was really close to ordering the 5040ub around black Friday, but given the introduction of the 4010, which brings it close to the 5040, I figure there's an update to the 5040 coming this year. I'm hoping that will resolve the holes in HDR support. I've no doubt the current model puts out a great image...but if I'm going to upgrade now, I want all the bells and whistles I can get at the ~2.5k price point.

• Like 2

On 12/16/2018 at 10:04 AM, Romier S said:

It wasn’t price alone. They gave the TCL higher marks on its HDR performance calling the P series less impactful by comparison. However, that’s one perspective and your best bet is definitely to take a look at both sets in person and see which floats your boat. It doesn’t look like you can go with wrong with either, frankly.

Another wrinkle, I just came into a couple hundred extra bucks which puts the Samsung NU8000 within reach.  Is it worth looking at, or keep the 200 bones for something else and stick with the TCL/Vizio?

3 hours ago, foogledricks said:

No problem. And in regards to your mount, unless you bought one specific to your projector, the mounting holes should adjust. Even if they don’t mounts aren’t terribly expensive. Some places even give you a new mount free when you buy the projector. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Whooter said:

Another wrinkle, I just came into a couple hundred extra bucks which puts the Samsung NU8000 within reach.  Is it worth looking at, or keep the 200 bones for something else and stick with the TCL/Vizio?

Edge lit Samsung vs FALD LCD competition? That isn’t a discussion worth having, IMO.;)

I can only speak for myself but fuck edge lit LCD’s. I won’t spend another penny on them. I’d take the Vizio and TCL FALD options any day.

If you’re not married to a bigger screen, the 55in X900F fits that new price range and is worth the extra scratch. If you want the full 65, I say stick to the two you were looking at. Again, for me FALD is a minimum “must have” if I’m spending money on an LCD.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Edge lit Samsung vs FALD LCD competition? That isn’t a discussion worth having, IMO.;)

I can only speak for myself but fuck edge lit LCD’s. I won’t spend another penny on them. I’d take the Vizio and TCL FALD options any day.

If you’re not married to a bigger screen, the 55in X900F fits that new price range and is worth the extra scratch. If you want the full 65, I say stick to the two you were looking at. Again, for meb FALD is a minimum “must have” if I’m spending money on an LCD.

I have been miserable about keeping up with the technology any more, so I appreciate the insight.  Guess I'll have a couple of bucks left over, then.  :)

Thanks!

Update, I went ahead and got the Vizio P-Series.  It was $999 vs. $969 for the TCL at the local Best Buy and for the extra $60 I went for the 120hz panel and the HLG HDR.  

Gets delivered next Monday.  Can't wait to finally get into 4K!  :)

• Like 4

Good to read of Samsung pursuing MicroLED with such passion (sony continue to do so with their CLEDIS r&d).

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/6/18168793/samsungs-75-inch-microled-4k-tv-pitcure-quality-ces-2019

I’ve written about this tech before, it’s OLED contrast but with much higher brightness capabilities for HDR and no image retention, and no manufacturering limits on display size. I still really do expect this to be where things shift in the next 5-10yrs once the manufacturing yield issues are overcome, and I continue to feel thatbit could also go so far as to replace the front projection market at home unless there’s a huge breakthrough in improving HDR for projectors.

There is a push to move microLED into movie theatres which I am less excited about as I think there’s a lot to be said for the psycholoical effects of the projection experience, but there again the industry is going to be facing the issue of projector shortcomings with HDR whilst the home display capabilities movie furthet ahead. I’m just not sure I want a world where going to the cinema is literally just watching a giant TV is all.

As of late 2018 Sony wete showing a 120” CLEDIS display..... which they had priced at a value of $500,000. The waiting game can be so cruel. 😞

It’s interesting isn’t it? Always thought it should happen but never expected Apple to allow it. It will be interesting to see whether other manufacturers get to adopt an itunes app in future too, or whether this is part of an agreement between Samsung and Apple (I’ve always been fascinated and amused by the oftentimes hateful competitiveness between the two companies and their simultaneous ability to work with each other).

36 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

It’s interesting isn’t it? Always thought it should happen but never expected Apple to allow it. It will be interesting to see whether other manufacturers get to adopt an itunes up in future too, or whether this is part of an agreement between Samsung and Apple (I’ve always been fascinated and amused by the oftentimes hateful competitiveness between the two companies and their simultaneous ability to work with each other).

Very much so, now if they'd allow it on Samsung phones or android devices that's be really interesting. I doubt it will happen, but I'd love to see it.

Apple seems to be slowly loosening the strings on their services - from Apple Music on Android, Amazon and other devices now to iTunes on Samsung TV’s. It’s a good step forward in my opinion and gives access to more content to more people so I’m all for it. 

• Like 1

Looks like Vizio TVs are getting AirPlay 2 support as well. So I guess apple finally is opening up.

• Like 1

I want someone to zoom in on those displays as they seem to be keeping people from normal viewing distances for a reason, presumably because the closer you get the more visibe the seams between panels become? (the 75” prototype on show is modular, not a single panel).

Remember LG’s rolllable OLED prototype from a year or two ago? It is now consumer ready in the form of the R series.

Not sure the 21:9 framing option they toyed with when questioned at early tech demos has made it in. Certainly doesn’t seem as though the ceailing mount option that was also thrown out there as an idea is there. It’s a 65” display.

• Like 1

Impressed by what I am reading about how LG continue to listen and respond to calibator requests. The 9th gen LG OLEDs will allow for custom tone mapping curves and will also offer built in test pattern generators.

https://referencehometheater.com/2019/commentary/2019-lg-tvs-custom-tone-mapping-explained/

The C series will once again have a 77” size offering too which is good to see them continue (the 77” C8 hit some very low prices, all things considered, recently as the 8th gen nears end of sale).

Interestingly it looks as though LG is switching back to the same processor across the board of models this year, with even the B9 apparently having the new gen2 A9 CPU.

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED65B9PUA-oled-4k-tv

That contradicts the press release which only credited the gen2 to the C, E and W models so we’ll see what’s accurate or not soon enough I suppose.

Hopefully they separate gradient smoothing from noise reduction control with the CPU this year. It’s also going to be interesting to see if they can get even closer to Sony and Panasonic on the general image processing front.

• Like 1

Sadly only remains relevant to those of us outside of America, but Panasonic are finally supporting Dolby Vision with their new 2019 OLED TVs!

They will also feature HDR-10+ support making them the only HDR agnostic OLED TVs on offer.

LOVE Panasonic’s OLED sets so I’d give careful consideration to replacing my E6 with one of their 2019 sets (albeit a year from now when they’re discounted). Have not seen firm word on HDMI specs though. The full lineup and specs are not being revealed until an event in February.