LCVG
NickC

The Official Television and Display Technology Thread - Enter of your own will.....(and leave with a lighter wallet)

Lots of new Sony TVs coming, with a a heavy push on their full array LED sets.

AG8 OLED - 55" AND 65"

XG95 Full array LED - 55", 65", 75" AND 85"

XG90 Full array LED - 49"

XG85 standard backlit LED - 55", 65". 75" AND 85"

AG8 OLED and 9 series LED sets all have X1 Extreme CPU and support for the recently announced, and very vague, 'IMAX Enhanced' a/v which some UHD discs and Sony's streaming service will soon feature (it's a variation on the DTS spec as far as audio is concerned, with Denon/Marantz having previously announced firmware update support on select 2018 receivers, with more manufacturers expected to do the same this week. What it means for video is still somewhat unclear).

At the top of Sony's range will be their AG9 OLED and their new ZG9 85" and 98" full array LED TVs, the LED two being 8k TVs which will have an HDMI 2.1 patch in future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Lots of new Sony TVs coming, with a a heavy push on their full array LED sets.

AG8 OLED - 55" AND 65"

XG95 Full array LED - 55", 65", 75" AND 85"

XG90 Full array LED - 49"

XG85 standard backlit LED - 55", 65". 75" AND 85"

AG8 OLED and 9 series LED sets all have X1 Extreme CPU and support for the recently announced, and very vague, 'IMAX Enhanced' a/v which some UHD discs and Sony's streaming service will soon feature (it's a variation on the DTS spec as far as audio is concerned, with Denon/Marantz having previously announced firmware update support on select 2018 receivers, with more manufacturers expected to do the same this week. What it means for video is still somewhat unclear).

At the top of Sony's range will be their AG9 OLED and their new ZG9 85" and 98" full array LED TVs, the LED two being 8k TVs which will have an HDMI 2.1 patch in future.

Boo to only the top tier sets having HDMI 2.1, I was hoping the XG95 series would.

I’d be surprised as we’re still without companion products making use of all the other non-8k functionality present in 2.1 (no games consoles really offering the full feature-set, no UHD players or streaming devices), so I am not quite sure what might compel most companies to justifiably adopt it on TV’s this year, even if it meant just patching in non -8k features into compatible 2.0 chipsets. Plus HDTV Test’s prediction about 2.1 still probably has some accuracy to it as, although we know LG is on board with full fat 2.1 we can probably assume there are still a limited number of companies able to offer the chipsets to television manufacturers in the first half of 2019.

Naturally it makes most sense to announce support will be there on 8k displays though as Sony have.

For me 8K is the least interesting feature of the 2.1 spec, if manufacturers implement the other 2.1 features in a semi-2.1 spec that would be great, I guess we'll have to see how that pans out. I wonder what bandwidth is required to do 4K 120. There's a lot of chicken/egg scenarios here, sooner or later something has to come first.

• Like 1

The replacement of the XF90 with an XG95 for all above 49" is a curious one, but basically seems to boil down to the 49" being a cheaper model closer to the XF90 in spec rather than the full update of the 95. Otherwise, in practice they're not pushing array-dimmed backlights any harder than this year, no?

What -is- new is that the XG95 gets the acoustic panel tech from the ZF9 / AF9 and so presumably a glass front rather than the soft LCD of the XF90, and also their faster CPU so that they don't have the comically poor UI response that made me splash out on an LG OLED (something I don't regret, because I'm expecting the 55" XG95 to not be much, if any, cheaper than I paid for a C8 of the same size at first).

2 hours ago, NickC said:

For me 8K is the least interesting feature of the 2.1 spec, if manufacturers implement the other 2.1 features in a semi-2.1 spec that would be great, I guess we'll have to see how that pans out. I wonder what bandwidth is required to do 4K 120. There's a lot of chicken/egg scenarios here, sooner or later something has to come first.

Agreed on features of interest when it comes to 2.1, but again it’s mostly going to be a matter of waiting a year until the bulk of HDMI chipsets being supplied to device manufacturers are 2.1 by default. I think we should see it as standard in receivers later this year, then in 2020 UHD players, network devices and game consoles...etc

No 2.1 from Panasonic outside of ALLM being patched in. 

I’m definitely keen to see the full lineup in Feb (there’s sure to be a model that is basically the GZ2000 but without the added expense of the built in audio tech). It’s great they are adopting DV now and since Panasonic’s OLEDs have been my favourites I definitely think my E6 will be replaced with a 2020 model unless they decide to patch in a few more hdmi 2.1 features on the 2019 sets. I did always feel like my E6 would be a three year purchase, so mid or late 2020 would be right and I can save to go 65” like I originally wanted. It would be interesting if Panny also announce 77inch to price against the C9 as I don’t think they’ve gone above 65 yet.

Vincent seems so happy and excited.

I can’t find much info on the uled stuff yet. Are they using quantum dots as color filters? 

If they can make uled cheaper than OLED they’ll have a hit on their hands.

And affordable uLED 120” wall (say less than $4k) would start to erode the projector business.

I've seen very little info around Samsungs 2019 TVs outside of the MircoLED/8K stuff, any word on them with HDMI 2.1 in any of their 2019 sets?

Outside of their iTunes/Airplay announcement they don’t appear to be revealing any of their 2019 TVs at CES.

I suspect they will stage their own even within the next three months. Isn’t that what happened in 2018? I forget. Either way, their only presence at CES appears to be the mLED prototypes.

UK AVForums staff have seen Samsung’s 2019 TV’s apparently. There was probably a closed door pre-CES event and press are under NDA for a month or two.

29 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

What’s uLED? Isn’t that Hisense’s branding?

MicroLED

13 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Outside of their iTunes/Airplay announcement they don’t appear to be revealing any of their 2019 TVs at CES.

I suspect they will stage their own even within the next three months. Isn’t that what happened in 2018? I forget. Either way, their only presence at CES appears to be the mLED prototypes.

UK AVForums staff have seen Samsung’s 2019 TV’s apparently. There was probably a closed door pre-CES event and press are under NDA for a month or two.

Thanks, makes sense, not sure what happened in 2018, I can barely remember last week 😀.

Google tells me there was an event on March 7th in New York where they announced the 2018 lineup.

I don't believe the MicroLED sets are consumer ready yet, I may have missed that though.

26 minutes ago, AlbertA said:

MicroLED

Ah. While I suppose it is feasible the 75 and 85 inch prototypes could become consumer products in the next year, I doubt they’d be for anyone but the super rich given the “wall” models apparently start at 300k in the commercial sector for the 146” size shown last year, and half a million for the 219” one on display this week. 

I’m honestly not treating mLED with anything more than a passing interest until it truly becomes realistic consumer tech, and we’re probably still a half decade away from that happening, and I’d expect things to be around early OLED pricing whenever that times comes, if not higher. I do believe it’s the future but I’ve seen nothing to convince me that it’s ready for prime time, or that it can even be manufactured with high yields.

The “home” models again are apparently modular as nobody has cracked doing a single panel yet, so that begs the question of how visible the seams are and how do you guarantee acceptable uniformity between each module when connected?

You’ll see micro LED abbreviated as uLED but should really be μLED. μ standing for lowercase Mu from the Greek alphabet the usual abbreviation for micro in scientific and engineering literature.

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

• Like 3

Vizio is updating the 2017, 2018 and 2019 models with Airplay 2 support. That’s great news for me as I own a couple of their sets.

10 hours ago, AlbertA said:

You’ll see micro LED abbreviated as uLED but should really be μLED. μ standing for lowercase Mu from the Greek alphabet the usual abbreviation for micro in scientific and engineering literature.

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

I doubt we’ll see much reference to either. Again, Hisense claimed uLED and tech jounalists’ interest the Greek alphabet I suspect is limited. 😀 Interesting information nevertheless as I don’t think I’d seen writings on MicroLED refer to the tech as uled.

Do you think Samsung have fully abaondoned their pursuit of QLED in its truest form? I get that impression.

Turns out Samsung do at least have their 2019 8k QLED’s on display at CES and have confirmed they will have HDMI 2.1. These sets start from 65” and go all the way up to 98”.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1547063584

Fair chance their 4K sets to be announced next month might have the certification too in which case, unless they see it only to be of relevance to their 8k displays which is possible. The benefit with Samsung of course is they have those external connection boxes for HDMI so they could, in theory, offer upgrades for some of their 4K sets.

Improved viewing angles on this year’s 8k Samsung QLED TV’s:

Might be something that trickles down into the 4k sets to be announced too. I’ll be interested to see if it comes at the cost of inferior black levels as Sony’s Z9F sadly exhibited.

A couple of short throw laser projectors I believe, neither seriously impressing anyone (inc LG’s model which has been shown in the past but will finally launch in the spring).

The bulk of projector updates tend to roll out during IFA in Germany (September). JVC had significant new model announcements last year and Sony had some minor model updates so I guess if anyone is due some notable new models in 2019 it’s Epson.

Optoma had their P1 short throw 4k laser projector at CES. Like all the DLP projectors I don’t believe it is native 4k (Sony, and now JVC, are still the only ones doing that with their SXRD/LCOS models). Supposed to be under 3 grand though: 

https://www.projectorreviews.com/articles-guides/optoma-p1-smart-4k-uhd-home-entertainment-system-at-ces-2019/

LG’s improved motion handling on the 2019 sets sounds interesting.

Will be keen to see that explored in detail when he has a review model.

Surprised he hasn’t asked them for their current position on HDR10+. With it finally being the year we’ll see good content rollout, along with Oppo and Panasonic player support, it is something I could see LG providing a firmware update for later in the year, or just supporting it as standard on 2020 models. More chance of LG supporting HDR10+ than Samsung supporting Dolby Vision I’d have thought, unless LG’s rlongstanding relationship with Dolby makes it difficult.

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

LG’s improved motion handling on the 2019 sets sounds interesting.

Will be keen to see that explored in detail when he has a review model.

Surprised he hasn’t asked them for their current position on HDR10+. With it finally being the year we’ll see good content rollout, along with Oppo and Panasonic player support, it is something I could see LG providing a firmware update for later in the year, or just supporting it as standard on 2020 models. More chance of LG supporting HDR10+ than Samsung supporting Dolby Vision I’d have thought, unless LG’s rlongstanding relationship with Dolby makes it difficult.

So is HDR10+ the future?  Basically, should I make sure whatever projector I get supports that?  I'm no longer in a rush to get a new projector.  But once the next Playstation comes out, or Xbox, that supports 4K and HDR for all games, I assume that will be HDR10+ .. and if so, then I want to make sure my projector supports that.

As I understand it, very few projectors have the dynamic range to get much out of HDR of any kind, so it’s not hugely worth worrying about, I believe.