LCVG
NickC

The Official Television and Display Technology Thread - Enter of your own will.....(and leave with a lighter wallet)

Okay, at some point I'll be creating a spreadsheet of televisions I'm looking at, but I wanted some new input before I get started on this project next week.  A few things.

Minimum Television Size

I'm coming from a Panasonic 2010/2011 plasma that was 1080p and 50 inch.  It's worked amazingly well, and will continue to be my driver for the time being.  I'm assuming with my next upgrade I'm looking at 65 inch (because for some reason 60 inch doesn't exist)?  This would be the same size as my 4:3 big screen from the olden days of Mitsubishi rear projection.

HDMI 2.1

I'm assuming the sensible thing to do would be wait until televisions with this spec start rolling out.

Operating System

This has caused me some consternation as I was kind of hoping for a "dumb" television, but smart televisions are the norm now.  Are there particular operating systems I want to avoid?  And how unfounded are the fears of intrusive ads on my television?

HDR

It looks like LG is the only television manufacturer to have both HDR10 and Dolby Vision.  Will I miss out if I get a television that supports only one or the other?  That and I've never purchased an LG device ever.

Miscellaneous

Burn in is still a thing?

Have I missed anything besides reading reviews?  I'm using this forum and Rtings.com as my base of operations.

14 hours ago, Dimness said:

Minimum Television Size

I'm coming from a Panasonic 2010/2011 plasma that was 1080p and 50 inch.  It's worked amazingly well, and will continue to be my driver for the time being.  I'm assuming with my next upgrade I'm looking at 65 inch (because for some reason 60 inch doesn't exist)?  This would be the same size as my 4:3 big screen from the olden days of Mitsubishi rear projection.

Yes, 60” doesn’t really exist anymore. 55, 65, 75, 77 and 85 are the most common, with 55 and 65 being the most reasonably priced when it comes to OLED options. I went from my 50” Pioneer KURO plasma to the 55” LG E6 and the real estate taken up by the latter is barely any different to my old TV since modern TV’s have tiny to non existent bezels. I’d have loved a 65 inch display but could not justify the added cost at the time. I intend to save up for my next display to be 65 though.

HDMI 2.1

I'm assuming the sensible thing to do would be wait until televisions with this spec start rolling out.

If you are happy to wait a year, sure, it’d provide a bit more peace of mind for the future, otherwise your options for full 2.1 support in 2019 look limited.

Operating System

This has caused me some consternation as I was kind of hoping for a "dumb" television, but smart televisions are the norm now.  Are there particular operating systems I want to avoid?  And how unfounded are the fears of intrusive ads on my television?

LG’s WebOS is nice. Whatever Samsung use seems decent, while Sony use Android which isn’t known to be great but I think is said to run better on the more recent Sony TV’s with their extreme processor. If you are entertaining an external device like an AppleTV at all then I’d argue concern over a TV’s internal OS is rendered moot. I no longer use my LG’s apps since getting the Apple TV. 

HDR

It looks like LG is the only television manufacturer to have both HDR10 and Dolby Vision.  Will I miss out if I get a television that supports only one or the other?  That and I've never purchased an LG device ever.

All 4k TVs support HDR10, and both LG and Sony support HDR10 and Dolby Vision in their upper range of TVs. There does seem to be an appreciable benefit to Dolby Vision, particularly on OLED displays. I don’t know whether VIZIO and TCL also support Dolby Vision as neither sell in the U.K. I THINK Vizio do though?

Software wise Dolby Vision is very prevalent on streaming services, while on disc Paramount and Lionsgate are the only studios supporting it consistently. Sony, Warner and Universal randomly opt to use it on select titles. All Dolby Vision content, streamed or on disc, contains an HDR10 base layer for backwards compatibility.

It’s HDR10+ support that’s the grey area right now as it’s so new. This is an open standard dynamic metadata based HDR format to serve as an alternative to Dolby Vision which is also dynamic metadata based (regular HDR10 is static. What this means, in simple terms, is the dynamic formats can send signals to the display on a scene by scene basis to regulate the colour range and light output based on a display’s capabilities rather than the TV having to do a lot of heavy processing and guesswork to self moderate the image). On the software side of things Amazon are supposed to be supporting HDR10+, meanwhile on disc Fox have recently started releasing discs with HDR10+ and Lionsgate appear to be supporting it in future (though Lionsgate appear to be providing both HDR10+ AND Dolby Vision on the same disc). Warner also pledged HDR10+ support but we’ve not yet seen any supporting content from them.

Panasonic are currently the only ones offering HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision support in their TV’s, but their TV’s are not available in the US. Likewise this week Philips revealed support for both HDR10, HDR10+ and Dolby Vision in their 2019 OLED TVs. Samsung are unlikely to adopt Dolby Vision anytime soon because they helped conceive HDR10+, meanwhile it’s anyone’s guess as to whether LG support HDR10+ given their bitter rivalry with Samsung.

You also have to bear in mind that as well as the display, HDR10+ support is required of playback device just as Dolby Vision is, so a UHD Player for example (Oppo will be upgrading their existing players, but you cannot buy those anymore. Some of Panasonic’s players will support both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision however, and unlike their TVs their players are still available in the States. 

We’ll probably see more HDR10+ support in players/TVs in 2020 when there will be a lot more content on the market.

Miscellaneous

On OLED, yes it is certainly possible. I used to get retention, not burn in, on my Pioneer plasma but have never had any on my LG OLED. I’m of the opinion that retention, and more severely burn in itself, is only likely if you don’t set up your display properly either by doing a basic calibration yourself, or calling in a professional, and if you leave a TV network with a logo on or a single game hud for hours and hours on end. 

• Like 3

Re: Burn In, it's apparently not a big worry unless you have your TV set very bright and leave it on TV channels with stationary on-screen graphics (particularly primary-coloured ones) for hours a day.

But, as someone who's only had his set a month or so, I will say that EVERY time something (e.g. the Apple TV, which is a right old bugger for it, or certain console games like the cloudy skies of Celeste's cutscreens) leave what looks like a mostly plain screen but with some "arty" Vista-style blurred-out elements in the background I get that momentary fear I've broken it already.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I don’t know whether VIZIO and TCL also support Dolby Vision

Both do have support for DV, yeah.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2019 at 7:11 PM, Dimness said:

Okay, at some point I'll be creating a spreadsheet of televisions I'm looking at, but I wanted some new input before I get started on this project next week.  A few things.

Minimum Television Size

HDMI 2.1

Operating System

HDR

Miscellaneous

Have I missed anything besides reading reviews?  I'm using this forum and Rtings.com as my base of operations.

If you are going with OLED, uniformity on near black is an issue. This will be very annoying on say Xbox screens, where you can clearly see annoying vertical bands. Annoying if you get it on your set, as you have to return it, play panel lottery again or have the panel replaced by the manufacturer directly.

• Like 1

Samsung announced their 2019 8K and 4K Sets

Q950R 8K series (Europe only)

Shipping date: First half of 2019

Screen sizes: 65-inch (£TBA), 75-inch (£TBA), 82-inch (£TBA), and 98-inch (£TBA)

Backlight system: Full array with local dimming

The Q950Rs look identical to the already established Q900R models detailed in the next section, but in specification terms they crucially add Samsung’s new ‘Q Ultra Wide Angle’ technology to support wider viewing angles; built in support for Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa voice control; Samsung’s new Bixby voice control engine; and full HDMI 2.1 connectivity. 

Q900 8K series

Shipping date: Some models available now

Screen sizes: 65-inch ($4,999.99/£4,800), 75-inch ($6,999.99/£6999), 82-inch ($9,999.99/not EU), 85-inch ($14,999.99/£15,000) and 98-inch ($TBA)

Backlight system: Full array with local dimming.

The Q900s also use external connection boxes - something that has allowed Samsung to promise new, updated connection boxes equipped with a full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 port. This will enable the sets to play higher frame rate 8K sources. 

Q90 4K Series

Shipping date: March

Screen sizes: 55-inch (Europe only) 65-inch ($3,497.99/£TBA), 75-inch ($4,997.99/£TBA), 82-inch ($6,497.99/£TBA)

The new Q90s get a new processing engine, too, based on the one developed for Samsung’s 8K TVs, enabling them to deliver better upscaling of sub-4K content. 

Samsung’s Q90s also introduce new gaming features, including automatic picture and sound optimization, and a mode for raising the brightness of dark areas without affecting the look of bright areas (so that it’s easier to spot enemies lurking in the shadows). 

It does not appear that the Q90s will carry full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 ports - though Samsung has told me that they will still support 4K up to 120Hz and game-friendly VRR technology.

Q80 4K Series

Shipping date: March

Screen sizes: 55 inches ($1,997.99/£TBA), 65 inches ($TBA/£TBA), 75 ($3,997.99/£TBA) and 82 (TBA) inches

The Q8s of 2018 were a great idea: sets with direct lighting and local dimming that cost far less than the flagship Q9s. They were ultimately let down a little, though, by only carrying around 40 local dimming zones.

The Q80s aim to put this right by more than doubling the dimming zone count, to 96. The dimming engine is also, like that of the Q90s, driven by a newer, more powerful processing system, and the Q80s will also benefit from Samsung’s new wide viewing angle technology. 

Samsung hasn’t revealed yet the relative brightness of its different QLED series, though it’s likely the Q80s won’t run as brightly as the Q90s.  

In other respects, the Q80s appear to carry the same features as the Q90s, except that the Q80 doesn’t ship with an external One Connect box.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2019/02/15/samsungs-2019-tv-line-up-explained-and-priced/#69c1b90c272e