LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Mark E

Dragon Quest Builders

Geeze, between this game, Tomb Raider, DQ7, and Phoenix Wright my game pile is an embarrassment of riches. I found myself impatient with the demo/tutorial which seemed to zoom by in the real version even though it was exactly the same.

I'm still doing the basic quests to learn stuff but it's super fun. I love getting a townsperson request and laying out the blueprints, then making their dreams real like fantasy HGTV. Barely scraped the surface of anything, especially the combat, but early impressions are very favourable.

I still have some vague interest in Minecraft. And then I've watched two hours of Youtube vids on this one, and it seems like the perfect decompression after Dark Souls 3. It looks so relaxing.

It's pretty chill and I don't think Minecraft is my speed, so this more directed version is totally up my alley. The town building aspect is a lot of fun; it's been a while since I played anything with an emphasis on creation like that.

I don't think this is explicitly clear in the game but you need to use the banner to save the game. I'm currently chugging through the tutorial for the third time since the bloody demo, sigh.

Luckily I hadn't sunk too much time in before I figured this out...

And from what I understand, don't sink too much time in the first chapter.  Evidently you start from scratch each time.

Yep, knew that going in. I kind of like that - the opening parts of this type of game are often my favorite anyway. Apparently the order in which you unlock things is altered based on the area due to the resources available, so it's not a total duplication.

This game is very, very satisfying. I love roaming around and crafting shit and then lugging my haul back to base and then making the town all purdy.

I spent a good chunk of my morning gaming time just clearing out the detritus so I'd have more space to build stuff and was very satisfied. The world is interesting! I was off learning to make a giant mallet and found a guy hiding out by a chest who showed me how to build staircases and demolished the bottom of an old well that gave me blueprints for a restaurant for my town.

The discovery of things plus then turning that around to improve your city is very addictive. Such a fun game.

I got this game yesterday and decided to play some while I took a mini break from Dark Souls 3.  That break is going to turn into a vacation now.  I can't stop playing this.  It's just so charming, and Rollo is just cracking me up.

It's a blast. I finished the first chapter yesterday and the boss fight was really fun, almost Zelda-esque. I wanted to keep on to the next section but other games are calling. Luckily the structure makes it very easy to pop in and out like that - once I really dove deep into the game it was hard to put down.

I finally finished Chapter 1, and I just learned an interesting gameplay mechanic that either the game didn't explain well or I simply wasn't paying attention.

So certain room types/builds give out "buffs" to the main character or your fellow townies.  What I could not figure out is why I wouldn't get those buffs even if I built the room.  Well it turns out that the banner you get at the beginning of the chapter only admits light that covers a finite area.  You have to build the room within the confines of that light.  You can tell how far the light goes just by checking the shading on the walls.  This sort of implies that while playing through the main storyline, you sort of have to be more thoughtful and be compact in your base building.  I will test to see if building by floors (rather than sprawl out) would still get you the buff.  I sprawled out my city and noticed some of my rooms weren't getting recognized.

Ooh, yeah, I thought they mentioned. I knew that somehow and managed to keep everything in the boundaries of the light, but space definitely gets to a premium as you build toward max level.

Did you find the slime? He doesn't give you anything but I recruited him and settled him in town anyway. I didn't manage a single of the challenges except to max the town out...

There's a recruitable slime?  Missed it.  I got all the challenges accept for the 20 day one.  I'm only doing the time challenges once I get everything else out of the way.  I just don't want to rush at all.

Me neither, but I completely missed literally every dragon.

The slime is hanging around through the red teleportal.

Ugh, I really want to go back and start Chapter 2 now...

I finished all the chapters 2 nights ago, and now I'm doing my speed run to get all the achievements.

Some thoughts about the game:

Even though I purchased the PS4 version of this game at full retail, I don't regret this one bit.  There's just a lot to do in this game, and I haven't even touched the free build mode yet.  The game is full of charm.  The fun/humor of the game kind of disappears in chapter 2, but it comes back in chapter 3.  I got cheated on one of the achievements on chapter 4, but I can easily go back and get it (not a spoiler, but having played Dark Souls has tempered my patience.  The last boss is easy).  I highly recommend it as it's probably the most relaxing fun I've had in a while.

Crap, we lost two days worth of posts.  Oh well.  I platinum'ed the game (I'm sure I'm going to grammar hell for that), and I can finally go nuts on Terra Incognita mode.  I am not a creative type at all, but I hope the more work I do, the better I'll get.

I undertook two projects. I recreated the home I grew up in. And I also recreated 742 Evergreen Terrace. I'm going to try and figure out how to share videos online. I have some more ideas for Terra Incognita.

I started the last chapter in a vain attempt to distract myself from Stardew Valley. I got a couple hours in - I love how they change up the mechanics just a little bit for the final chapter, really clever and fun to play with.

This game deserves more eyes on it than it got, really does.

So I got the Switch version because

• I was drunk when I purchased it
  • I sobered up the next day, and I realized I loved this game and don't regret it

Seriously, this is an awesome portable buy.

• Haha 1

I got DQ 11, complained about it the whole time.  Started this game, which I got for my daughter, now I'm going to abandon DQ 11.  This game is so much better.