LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Red Dead Redemption 2 (late 2017... until it gets delayed *UPDATE: Delayed to October 2018*) [PS4/XB1]

A “Beta” of Red Dead Online starts tomorrow. It’s not a limited time beta that will stop before the full launch, but just a service that will morph from beta to full service over time. 

When you can start to play depends on either what version of the game you own, or when you first played it:

- Tuesday, November 27 - Anyone with the Ultimate Edition of Red Dead Redemption 2.

- Wednesday, November 28 - Anyone who played Red Dead 2 on launch day (October 26).

- Thursday, November 29 - Anyone who played Red Dead 2 on launch weekend (October 26-29)

- Friday, November 30 - Anyone else who owns the game.

I haven’t touched it since I posted. That’s not a condemnation of the game, frankly. Just not in the mood for some massive open world game yet. Spyro hit about the same time and a good laid back 90’s platformer was just what the doctor ordered in my house.

I'm picking it up and playing in chunks as time allows.  Got distracted early on going after some of the big bountys I got from the saloon in Valentine, so I haven't advance the story missions very far.  I've probably explored more of the map than I was originally intended to.

This past weekend, I played the mission where Arthur and Lenny go to Valentine and get drunk.  Holy hell that was a creative and funny mission.  😅

Finished the narrative (main story/epilogues) and I'm probably one of the few that didn't enjoy this game. At a high level my main issues are the narrative is overlong/drawn-out, main story was unsatisfying, the controls aren't great, the game play mechanics/systems could use some work, and the horse collision physics appear to be taken straight from the motorcycles in GTA (painful to watch and play). There are definitely great moments, but they aren't often enough to overshadow the issues and it ended up being a slog to get through. There are many great open world games these days and this one feels like a relic of the past.

Verdict:

mad-max-mediocre-gif.gif

I just can't get into it. I have never been more disappointed in a game. The controls are so bad and everything just feels like it is in mud. I want to like this game so much. Love the setting, the characters, etc, but playing it is zero fun. The cores, the controls, the movement. Rockstar still feels like they are making PS2/PS3 games with better graphics.

-Dean-

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, EnemaEms said:

I just can't get into it. I have never been more disappointed in a game. The controls are so bad and everything just feels like it is in mud. I want to like this game so much. Love the setting, the characters, etc, but playing it is zero fun. The cores, the controls, the movement. Rockstar still feels like they are making PS2/PS3 games with better graphics.

-Dean-

My feelings exactly, glad I'm not the only one.

2 hours ago, EnemaEms said:

-Dean-

I had the same feelings about the original. I still have it on deck but its fallen by the wayside for more pertinent stuff, frankly.

6 hours ago, EnemaEms said:

-Dean-

That’s my fear. The draw for me is the setting, the atmosphere, but I’m not getting a sense of fun from what I have seen of the game.

I did enjoy the first one but I think you’ve put it beautifully in observing that Rockstar are still effectively making the same games but with more polish.