LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

A vinyl thread (for us old fogies who laugh in the face of common sense).

Ordered the IT soundtrack from Waxwork Records.  Always liked the music from the miniseries.  And I figured, what the heck, I haven't bought myself anything in a long time!

“High Definition Vinyl” Is Happening, Possibly as Early as Next Year

Marc Hogan, writing for Pitchfork:

The HD vinyl process involves converting audio digitally to a 3D topographic map. Lasers are then used to inscribe the map onto the “stamper,” the part that stamps the grooves into the vinyl. According to Loibl, these methods allow for records to be made more precisely and with less loss of audio information. The results, he said, are vinyl LPs that can have up to 30 percent more playing time, 30 percent more amplitude, and overall more faithful sound reproduction. The technique would also avoid the chemicals that play a role in traditional vinyl manufacturing. Plus, the new-school HD vinyl LPs would still play on ordinary record players.

I heard about this on a podcast yesterday. I’m not sure if this has already been mentioned here or not, but I thought I’d share in case it hadn’t.

Any thoughts on this? The extra storage capacity and improved amplitude sounds like it could be a win for vinyl enthusiasts. I’m not sure analog purists are going to take kindly to having their music digitized before having it pressed though. 

Still, I can’t shake the feeling that this is another empty audiophile marketing gimmick designed to part enthusiasts with more of their money in the same way that (in my opinon) 24-bit digital audio is.

I get that they’re cutting these with a bit more precision, but most of the “advantages” seem to be coming from getting a computer to find the optimal cutting size rather than a human using their skill and expertise to make a judgement. 

Hmm. 

I think I fear the last of a nebulous “soul” to the process more than I do time with the audio signal in a digital realm. 

I ordered the Doom CD. I'll order the vinyl a bit down the road if its still available. 80 beans is a bit much right now given most of my funny money is being allocated to my retro gaming binge.:)