LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

A vinyl thread (for us old fogies who laugh in the face of common sense).

Really? I got the impression it was US stuff. They don't even list prices in Pounds by default.

edit - so it's a US company with a UK distribution hub for the rest of the world.

Took delivery of a nice German import of the score to Last of the Mohicans this afternoon. Gatefold double LP. It's a 45rpm release too interestingly enough. 

Is it the original or the rescore?

The full Record Store Day list is out. Looks like a good year; my tentative shopping list is around 10 items, and that's not allowing for grabbing pretty things I don't need. Top of that, though, is Follakzoid with J. Spaceman, the score for The Dark Crystal and the Chems single finally hitting vinyl.

By full do you mean signed edition? I also got the box set but its the regular, not signed edition.

Not signed just regular. I got the same.

Cool.

Since joining the vinyl renaissance in January, I've been posting pics on Facebook and Instagram whenever I spin a new purchase. Recently I've been searching online regarding 2 topics of interest and decided to throw it to the forum:

First, will cleaning a vinyl really help maintain the audio quality and prolong the life of the stylus? If so, how often should a vinyl be cleaned? Should "new in shrink" purchases be cleaned before first use? I've read comments/articles in favor but I've "heard" it doesn't make THAT much of a difference. Some of the articles point to products like these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EG5502W/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1GQEOPWTAMPI0

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UKSZUU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_24?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A313MSN0FN0R1N

Second, I have my turntable connected to a separate speaker because I don't currently have room in my entertainment cabinet. Was hoping connecting a line to my receivers phono jack could still be done but have read that having an audio cable of that length (over 2 feet?) from turntable to receiver would affect the audio quality and produce a hum even when grounded. A friend suggested an amp like the following...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028QCYS0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A278U2C7KHOHJ4

Looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks.

The only times I've cleaned records thoroughly, they've been properly grotty with dirt and mould. Fairy liquid soaked for a few minutes normally does the trick, washed off with lukewarm water. DO NOT SCRUB, obvs. 

I've got a brush like the one in that first link. I've also got one more like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Cleaning-Solution-Record-Happy-Fidelity-Collection/dp/B0154JSY68

and I find it a lot more reliable for carefully brushing away cat hair, bits of dust and whatever before the stylus would hit them. I'm always terrified with the "thin lines of nylon" style that I'll hold it the wrong way and drag the hard corner of the handle across the record by accident.

I'm assuming "2 feet" is a typo, right? I'd check if your amp even offers a phono-level input (rather than a line-level), but even if it does, it's not often that amps that aren't aimed at audio nerds have a decent phono stage. A preamp like the one you've linked would normally be a lot better.

Never heard of that model before, though; I'd choose either a Rega, NAD or Pro-Ject one myself. Though I'm still a bit grumpy that my Pro-Ject one, as good as it is doing its main job as a preamp, is utterly useless as a USB ADC - without a proper gain control it distorts when trying to record anything cut since about the mid 70s. If you plan on using that aspect of a preamp, check for a proper gain knob.

I use a brush I got from with a little of the spray , the first time I play a new vinyl . After that I haven't , as like you I got the antistatic inserts and outter bags so nothing getting dusty or dirty.

I do want to get one of the better cleaners as i need to clean a bunch of old records that are really dirty.