LCVG
Magness

New AV Receiver

Well, my reliable old Yamaha receiver finally died <sniffle> so I had to order a replacement. I had the Yamaha for 9 years and it worked like a champ the whole time so really can't complain - and I'm replacing it with a new Yamaha. The new receiver is a Yamaha RXV381 with 4 in and 1 out and will support 4K, HDR, etc.

I was a little surprised at all the variations on receivers currently out there. The sheer number of variations on HDMI inputs and outputs on receivers with mixed capability, ugghhh. While I was looking it's strange to me how many still didn't support HDCP 2.2. I thought it was weird too - just the number of receivers that did support it but, only had 1 or 2 HDCP 2.2 ports out of 4 or 5 HDMI inputs; several with HDCP 2.2 but no HDMI 2.0a etc, etc. Seems like a real mess right now...

Anyway, it took me a while to find it but, the RXV381 is a solid receiver at a good price with 4 in and 1 out and all are HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. No DTS X or Dolby Atmos support but, they aren't requirements for me and overall it's a great little AV receiver.

There's no Atmos on my Sony either, but it's a fine amp for the price. I've only got five speakers attached to it, anyway.

Audyssey has come along a long way since my old Onkyo, and made most of the low-end market much of a muchness for movie watching, it seems. Differences are really about how you like your music handled.

I kind of bought my last receiver willy nilly and not do a lot of research.  What are some things to look for when buying a receiver... besides Atmos of course?

The small amount of research I did when hurriedly replacing mine after the Onkyo died said they're basically all fine. Yamaha might be slightly more biased toward music, Denon toward movies, Sony and Pioneer both more balanced between them.

Other than that, get a model with the features you need.

I would agree that for the most part - they will all handle multiple sources just fine in 5.1. However, watch out for HDMI ports that are NOT HDMI 2.0a as that's a requirement to pass HDR and the HDMI ports need to support HDCP 2.2 if you intend to use a UHD player with the receiver (including XBone S). That's the stuff that I found so confusing - several receivers only supported the standards on certain ports. As an example, the Denon 520BT is a highly rated receiver and has 5 HDMI inputs but, only 3 of those support HDCP2.2 and none are HDMI 2.0a compliant so no HDR through the receiver.

That's a point I'd forgotten about, you're right. Currently not having any 4k displays, it hadn't occurred to me that of my amp's five inputs only one of them is up to passing the whole 4k/HDR/protected stream. So I wouldn't be able to run both a PS4 Pro and an Xbone S through it.

New receiver is in, configured and working well so far. Setup was WAY easier than on the old one as this has a proper on-screen menu. It fits nicely in the receiver shelf space I have and is a bit smaller, not as deep and even weighs a little less so that was good too. It took a bit to get my Harmony remote setup but, that's all set now too so I should be good to go again :)

Last night I began the "March to 4K" as I've purchased a refurbed Marantz SR6011.  I am already running 7.1 and this gives me all of the new codecs plus another 2 channels for later when I will add overhead speakers.

Next up will be deciding which of the 4k or FauxK projectors will be purchased.  

• Like 1

Alrighty, so the Marantz is getting returned.  I'd had it hooked up since Tuesday and it sounded good.  Then tonight a horrible screech came out of the right channel.  Turned it off and on again, back to normal.  Then it did it again a while later and poof!  No sound is coming out of the right or surround right channel.  It seems others have had similar issues with Marantz in general in the past.  I'll be honest I'm running out of receiver brands to buy.  I haven't been impressed with Onkyo QA, now this Marantz too, which is owned by Denon.  

This place has a refurbed Yamaha RX-A3050 which looks nice, and for the cost it should.  I'll probably put in the order as soon as they OK the return.

The RA is good to go.  The Yamaha is ordered and already shipped.  It was the last one too.  

They offered a free exchange on the Marantz, as I have to pay for shipping back.  But it only took 5 minutes of searching to find someone that had the almost exact same problem I did, except his left channel died instead of the right.  And he said that it happened to him on the previous Marantz he had, so two times to that one guy.  So I'll bite the bullet and eat the $50 shipping charge back.  

Edit: So since I went ahead and ordered the Yamaha from the same people, dude said he would just send me a shipping label!  :milk

Accessories4less.com

You may still need a Marantz if you're going to drive 11 speakers for Dolby Atmos. The Yamaha only does 9. I bought a 4 channel Marantz amp and it is great. 

Carlos. 

12 minutes ago, Carlucci said:

You may still need a Marantz if you're going to drive 11 speakers for Dolby Atmos. The Yamaha only does 9. I bought a 4 channel Marantz amp and it is great. 

Carlos. 

The plan right now will only be going up to 9.  The 7.1 I am already running, plus two more overhead speakers at some point in the future.  Likely at a time when I can get my buddy to come up and help me get them installed.  They will have to be flush in the ceiling since they would be in the light path of the projector otherwise.  I assure you my wife would not trust me to do that alone.  But she does trust him.  

Right now I just want to focus on getting the receiver ready so that I can then start preparing for the new projector some time next week.  The Yamaha is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday so I should get that hooked up and have some time to play with it before the PJ gets here.

So the Yamaha arrived and is all hooked up. It /barely/ fits in my shelf with about 3mm to spare under the lip of the above shelf. Thankfully there is still 2-3 inches of space hollowed above it and nothing else on the shelf with it so it can breathe. And while all of the feet are on the shelf, the front of it still juts out a bit. This sucker is big. 

We're at about a week on with the Yamaha now and have had no hiccups.  It sounds nice.  Sound definitely seems more "robust."  My wife commented on the rear surrounds while watching The Crown; the wind was blowing through trees I believe.  She's never said anything about sound at all before, with the exception of "that's loud."

Did you use the YPAO to calibrate the sound?  That thing is pretty damn accurate.  I used it, and then confirmed it with a SPL meter, and it was nearly dead-on-balls accurate.

The consensus is, if you have a subwoofer, to set your main speakers to "small" and set the crossovers according to your Subs recommendation.   I had resisted that for a while, setting my nice big speakers to "small", but it really does make a difference.

Carlos.

I did use YPAO in my five different seat positions. I did not check it with my SPL though. 

I have an old school svs pc16-49(I think that was the model) cylinder but I haven't done much bass tweaking yet. I think the mains are set to full range. In the past I've always set my receivers up as you described, I'm sure I will at some point here as well. 

On 6/27/2017 at 7:45 AM, Carlucci said:

dead-on-balls accurate.

Carlos.

I make it a point to always go back and read older posts on threads to see where the thread is going, but I had to point this phrase out as another Carlos gem.

• Like 1

My criminal procedure prof once dropped this bombshell:

"You know what's weird about My Cousin Vinnie? It's the one thing out of Hollywood that I can think of that tracks pretty closely with the actual rules of criminal procedure."

That always stuck in my head.

Not to get off-topic, but I've heard that movie is still a shining example of Hollywood being fairly accurate about criminal trial procedure.

To take it off topic even more - true story: Dale Launer, the dude who wrote My Cousin Vinny (he also wrote Dirty Rotten Soundrels among other gems) is a friend of mine. The dude is whip smart and knows way too much about the law, politics, and cars. He's a trip. He also owns some gorgeous homes in LA.