Jump to content
LCVG
Magness

New AV Receiver

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I know a lot of people who have favoured 5.2.4. Over 7.2.4. I guess a lot of it has to do with room size, but four up top whatever the surround config definitely strikes me as the way to go.

 

I used to prefer the 7.2, but after hearing the 5.2.4 configuration, I might just stick with the 5.2.4, until I get the extra speakers for the Auro3D sound, which is 10.1 altogether.  Yes, I have the external amp for those extra speakers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... I'm thinking of upgrading my main receiver to be more compatible with passing 4K HDR signals.  I currently have the Pioneer Elite SC-85 and have had the Pioneer SC series for a while. I guess I've liked having the Class D3 series amplifiers, but I'm not sure I can quantify why...

 

Some candidates include the Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer-elite-7-2-ch-hi-res-4k-ultra-hd-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/5947136.p?skuId=5947136)

Pioneer Elite SC-LX501 (https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/pionsclx501/pioneer-elite-sc-lx501-7.2-ch-x-120-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html)

Onkyo TX-RZ820 (https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxrz820/onkyo-tx-rz820-7.2-ch-x-130-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html)

 

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Deon S730H and it has fulfilled everything I’d wanted from it.

 

these days I’m no longer interested in expensive receivers.

 

The main feature I'm waiting to trickle down the line 7.4.1 support for Full Atmos. At the very least, pre-outs for the height channels so I can amplify externally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was not impressed with my last Onkyo receiver. A tx-nr720-something. QA was out the door on that one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to piggyback on this thread, as I tend to do.  I landed a pretty sweet new job a month ago after being out of work since early February, the (not so) hilarious part being I took the plunge and bought my expensive BITCHIN' Sony 4k projector like a month and a half before my previous gig unexpectedly ended.  😀  To be fair, I don't regret it, it's a wonderful projector combined with the fixed screen I put in at the same time, just inexplicable timing.  I'm over it.

 

However, it's time to address the processing side of things.  I mentioned in another thread, if you were to put a gun to my head and try to get me to admit I bought my Denon x4000 receiver five years ago, I'd laugh in your face...but it's true and I can't believe it.  It's been great, but the limitations are piling up.  It can't handle 4k/60fps/HDR signals, so I've literally been manually switching an external cable between my PC and UHD player for such things which certainly gets annoying.  No support for the latest codecs like Atmos.  Considering I can still get a good $300 on Ebay for my x4000 and some of these I see suggested are in the $600 range, it seems like a no-brainer to step up.

 

Anything I'm missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems were are close to hdmi 2.1 finally. I would probably wait.

 

If you want a stop gap, I have a couple of these (denon s-730H) and yeah I bought them refurbished from here:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs730h/denon-avr-s730h-7.2-ch-x-75-watts-a/v-receiver-with-free-denon-hdmi-cable/1.html

 

One in my media room, one in the living room. Plenty of power and features (apple airplay, spotify) and actually have some form of eARC (which Is great for my LG OLED And Vizio TV's, built in apps, some of which can stream DD+ and atmos back to the receiver). They have handled everything I've thrown at them in regards to 4K + HDR stuff.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AlbertA said:

It seems were are close to hdmi 2.1 finally. I would probably wait.

 

If you want a stop gap, I have a couple of these (denon s-730H) and yeah I bought them refurbished from here:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs730h/denon-avr-s730h-7.2-ch-x-75-watts-a/v-receiver-with-free-denon-hdmi-cable/1.html

 

One in my media room, one in the living room. Plenty of power and features (apple airplay, spotify) and actually have some form of eARC (which Is great for my LG OLED And Vizio TV's, built in apps, some of which can stream DD+ and atmos back to the receiver). They have handled everything I've thrown at them in regards to 4K + HDR stuff.

 

Meh, I'm not in a hurry, I'd rather have something that will likely last me another 5+ years.  I am feeling lazy, so educate me on what HDMI 2.1 is going to bring to the table?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, secretvampire said:

 

Meh, I'm not in a hurry, I'd rather have something that will likely last me another 5+ years.  I am feeling lazy, so educate me on what HDMI 2.1 is going to bring to the table?

 

  • 4k up to 120hz, 8k up 60hz and 10k resolution support
  • eARC (extension of the existing ARC spec but with lossless audio support. Can seemingly be patched in to 2.0b)
  • Dynamic HDR support (e.g HDR10+)
  • VRR (Variable Refresh Rate support for gaming)
  • QFT (Quick Frame Transport support for lower latency, another plus for gaming)
  • QMS (Quick Media Switching which will supposedly do away with flickering/blank screens when we switch between various source inputs)
  • Real time communication between components to eradicate lip-sync errors.

 

In short, if you can wait then do so. The silicon for HDMI 2.1 should be available by the end of the year, so we might see some receivers with support this winter, otherwise we should definitely see a major rollout of supported devices announced at CES in January. Some Yamaha and Denon/Marantz high end models are claiming 2.1 support this year, but that's a bit cheeky as far as I can tell as they're just adding eARC (I'm not aware of any of the other features being available to 2.0b via a patch). 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

 

  • 4k up to 120hz, 8k up 60hz and 10k resolution support
  • eARC (extension of the existing ARC spec but with lossless audio support. Can seemingly be patched in to 2.0b)
  • Dynamic HDR support (e.g HDR10+)
  • VRR (Variable Refresh Rate support for gaming)
  • QFT (Quick Frame Transport support for lower latency, another plus for gaming)
  • QMS (Quick Media Switching which will supposedly do away with flickering/blank screens when we switch between various source inputs)
  • Real time communication between components to eradicate lip-sync errors.

 

In short, if you can wait then do so. The silicon for HDMI 2.1 should be available by the end of the year, so we might see some receivers with support this winter, otherwise we should definitely see a major rollout of supported devices announced at CES in January. Some Yamaha and Denon/Marantz high end models are claiming 2.1 support this year, but that's a bit cheeky as far as I can tell as they're just adding eARC (I'm not aware of any of the other features being available to 2.0b via a patch). 

 

 

 

Yes, that is entirely worth waiting for if I want a reasonably future-proof box.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes sense I think. I gave brief thought to getting a receiver again recently as I miss 5.1 so much, but aside from current space impracticalities 2.1 is clearly one of, if not the most, significant updates the HDMI spec has ever received so I’d like any components I buy in future to be compatible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I'm thinking 2020 for a Yammy with 2.1 and all the goods, assuming it's ready by then. Only thing my current receiver doesn't do it Dolby Vision (it will do HDR10, which is bizarre, but whatever).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We should definitely see 2.1 become commonplace in receivers next year. It's quite possible the spring 2019 range of TVs from various companies will miss out given the time frame of the certification process at the moment from what I've been reading, but receivers are often the first to offer up the latest incarnations of HDMI. I guess it all depends on when in 2019 companies choose to launch their products. Anything mid to late next year I'd have thought would definitely get it. 

 

I'd like to see if I can have a receiver again next year, and then in 2020/2021 replace the E6. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Add me to the list waiting for 2.1 to buy a new receiver or processor, shame my current receiver doesn't have pre-outs, I'll probably wait on the soundbar and amp until then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I reached out to my Brother-in-law who is building a house and told him he might want to consider waiting for HDMI 2.1 products instead of buying top of the line products now, he sent my email to his AV guy and here is the response.

 

Quote
Hello-
     HDMI 2.1 is designed for 8K transmissions. We only have 4k now through streaming sources and cable is 2K. I wouldn't worry much about 8K hdmi spec, there are literally no 2.1 hdmi cables, tvs or receivers on the market yet. The advantage of low latency for video game use is nice which is why xbox adapted the spec now but that is really only useful in online gaming situations. Otherwise the HDMI 2.1 spec was designed for increased bandwidth of transmissions to provide greater resolution (18 gig vs 48 gig). All the other features of 2,1 are to support 8K displays. 
 
A better article is:
 
     Without being insulting towards your friend, it will be many, many years until this format is important as 8K will not be reality for 2-3 years as the pricing will be outrageous to start. Maybe 3-4 years from now they could start streaming 8K online but that will be the only way to see it. Cable providers will be way behind and I'm sure most studios will not splurge for super expensive 8K cameras. There will always be new specs coming, literally every year. But some are big important changes, 4K HDR adoption for example. And others are forward thinking. Just so your friend knows, hdmi 2.1 was actually announced last year. I was there. 4K displays will not be capable of using most the hdmi 2.1 feature set so of course most 4K tvs will not offer hdmi 2.1 inputs. If they do it will be for the gaming feature.  
 
A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing. It's like going on webmd and diagnosing yourself. The truth is hdmi 2.1 will only be relevant once 8K displays and sources become available which will be years away.  I would ask your friend what feature of hdmi 2.1 is worth waiting for exactly? There is no new audio format listed and the features are for 8K tvs. So unless you are aiming to be an early adopter of super expensive 8K tvs, which I wouldn't recommend, don't worry. 

 

So folks, no need to wait for HDMI 2.1 unless you are buying an 8K TV.

 

 

:Psycho:

 

  • Like 1
  • WTF 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NickC said:

So I reached out to my Brother-in-law who is building a house and told him he might want to consider waiting for HDMI 2.1 products instead of buying top of the line products now, he sent my email to his AV guy and here is the response.

 

 

So folks, no need to wait for HDMI 2.1 unless you are buying an 8K TV.

 

 

:Psycho:

 

 

 Without being insulting towards your friend...

:Rock:

That's analogous to "I'm not a racist, but" :)

 



A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing. It's like going on webmd and diagnosing yourself. 

:predator:

 

Clearly to be safe, you need to be ignorant. Nothing good ever happens when you are informed.

 



? There is no new audio format listed and the features are for 8K tvs. So unless you are aiming to be an early adopter of super expensive 8K tvs, which I wouldn't recommend, don't worry. Please don't ruin my sweet cashflow - I have old equipment I'm trying to unload on you for a price that should really be a criminal practice.

 

Fixed it for him.

 

Fire this AV guy :jackblack:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, AlbertA said:

Fire this AV guy

 

This. Right now. Your brother-in-law's only response should be, "Thanks for your hard work so far, but based on the complete and utter nonsense you just sent me (along with the fact that it was inordinately condescending for no apparent reason other than your defensiveness), I'm going to end our business relationship as of today. Let me know if there are any outstanding invoices for work done so far. Thank you, and good night."

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×