LCVG
Magness

New AV Receiver

Haven't seen anything myself. But I bet you will start to see "2.1" monikers thrown around by manufacturers even if they only support something that doesn't need the extended bandwidth - or maybe just one port will have it... you know... the usual.

CES 2019 will be interesting.

It was very good to know the important stuff,  quick frame transport, variable refresh rates, dynamic hdr...etc can be patched in to certain chipsets, but so far the only 2.1 feature some manufacturers are adding to 2.0b is eARC and the linger question remains as to whether anyone would want to patch in more stuff when they always have something new to see every year.

I’m desperate to have surround again after so many years without it but, while I don’t care about 8k bandwidth support, I do care about having all those other features.

It doesn’t sound as if we’ll see any true 2.1 products until late 2019/early 2020.

23 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

It doesn’t sound as if we’ll see any true 2.1 products until late 2019/early 2020.

Ugh.  I can’t wait another year for a solution, looks like I will have to look for something intermediary which I hate to do, but my setup is way too messy right now.

Should be easy to find deals on last year's outgoing models, certainly. I was tempted myself, but I'll continue to wait. The problem for me is not knowing where I'd put speakers as I had to give up on surround due to space limitations and not being able to wall mount anything. 

Here’s a question for those who better understand eARC. Would that actually negate the need for a receiver to suppot VRR, QFT...etc, as so long as the Display device did one could effectively defer an eARC compatible receiver to audio seitching only, no? ... or would the linitation be that this would only leave the user with a display’s limited number of HDMI inputs to play with for video feeds that might use some of the new 2.1 features?

It could yeah. You could even have a mix of hdmi video through receiver and hdmi video through TV.

it would be up to the TV if it did audio pass through and not decode stuff though.

Today most use of ARC is simply to use the built in features/apps of the TV without having to connect an extra hdmi cable. I suspect this will continue to be the case with eARC.

On 11/26/2018 at 1:26 PM, Eldorado said:

It's a good time to be looking at least.  There has to be something decent on sale right now.

Good point.  Anybody have any strong opinions about any of the receivers on this list?  For reference, I currently have the Denon x4000 which is 5 years old.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/cw-receiver-offers

4 hours ago, secretvampire said:

Good point.  Anybody have any strong opinions about any of the receivers on this list?  For reference, I currently have the Denon x4000 which is 5 years old.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/cw-receiver-offers

My s730H has supported everything I’ve thrown at it so far - so my vote goes to s740h/s940H in that list .

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AlbertA said:

My s730H has supported everything I’ve thrown at it so far - so my vote goes to s740h/s940H in that list .

I won't lie, I've been tempted by the Sonys since I'm pairing it with my Sony 4k projector.  I might go with the next model up since I need more inputs, but still only $450.  I guess my exceptions are antiquated, the good units started at $1k minimum for the last 20 years and now that is no longer the case and $450 still seems like a good deal.  😁

My Sony 860 cost £250 a couple of years back, when my £1000 Onkyo died and I didn’t have the budget for anything better. 

Its good enough i cant be bothered to buy a dedicated amp for music. Admittedly I’m using the DAC in my CD player and the Rega phono stage for records, but it seems mostly a solved problem of how to get decent sound. 

• Like 1

I think I'd be eventually drawn to a mid-range Denon/Marantz. Alternatively, if finances allowed whenever the time might come, one of Arcam's receivers would be lovely and worth it for the DIRAC room correction which is the best I know. My last receiver was a mid-range Denon though and I was very happy with it, and that came several years on from once owning high end separates. It definitely doesn't cost the earth to get quality anymore. It's interesting how the pre-amp/processor market has dwindled now as a consequence (with Arcam now offering three receivers and just one processor in their multi-channel line up which was once processor exclusive).

You certainly get a lot for your money with Sony, Denon...etc. It's remarkable how quickly they drop in price too. Bargains a year after launch when new models come out of course, but even months after launch now I see 2-300 off the price of Denon's latest x500 range. 

• Like 1

The Sony STR-DN1080 reviews out very well for that segment so I pulled the trigger, will be very nice to stop swapping cables and enter the world of 2015 sound by having support for the advanced sound codecs. 😆 Seriously, after so many years of a "respectable" receiver costing $1200 at a minimum it feels like I'm about to be sent a chintzy knock-off only paying $450, should last me for a couple of years though until the next big thing comes along.  

• Like 2

The reason I recently started trying to work out if a surround set up was feasible again was chiefly because I need more HDMI inputs myself. :)  

In all seriousness though, it’s been nearly six years without it and I really do miss it. Just no room for speakers really. It’s got to account for over 50% of the experience, even just amplifying an old mono mix or whatever. It’s a lot less engaging when all you have are a TV’s internal stereo speakers.

It's a real pity there's no way to get your stereo amp set up with the speakers either side of the TV; even stereo would be a massive improvement on TV sound.

Indeed. My towers, nine of the damn things, with my Blu-rays flank the TV/AV stand. I did look at some satellite speaker options but again it’s a placement issue, and the sofa is right up against a wall making surround placement difficult too.

Picked up my receiver from Best Buy this afternoon, haven't had time to hook it up yet.  But also realized this might be the first time I've ever(?) been able to buy my receiver at local retail, hah.  The last two times, an Onkyo and a Denon, I had to buy them online because places like BB wouldn't carry the flagship-level lines and I wasn't going to pay straight up MSRP at now defunct "home theater" specialty stores, I was always having to get in through online AVS Forum dealers and such offering discounts so I could try to minimize the damage.  Anyway, just a stupid observation.  😁

• Like 3

Hooked everything up last night, pretty painless.  Calibration was easy, too.  Does as advertised, passes the native 4k signals to my projector at 60fps when applicable.  Yea!  I will try a UHD with one of the newer codecs here shortly to test it out, also my Switch arrived today so time to try some Super Mario Odyssey!

• Like 1