LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Graeme

Destiny 2

Graeme    59

Destiny 2 trailer is launching today in a little over an hour from when I'm posting this.

Here's a teaser to watch before then.

https://youtu.be/rQ4i0AT8c-M

I'm really interested to see where this one goes. I really liked the first Destiny. I hope it has a larger, more seamless world and better storytelling than the first game. I know they learned a lot from the first game and expansions, I would love to see it all come together.

dogbert    243

I think your expectations match mine. Keen to see how this has grown in scope/scale & more than anything, structure. Little interest in pvp, but I've thoroughly enjoyed my pve Destiny experience.

Graeme    59

PC Version confirmed just before trailer launched. Beta with pre-order. Tons of editions and expansion pass available to buy.

Whooter    222

Bah. Just a jokey CG trailer. Hope more info comes soon.

Fillion was funny, though.

iainl    125

PC is nice to see on principle, but I'm now pretty much convinced much of what I liked about Destiny is that Bungie are the one lot of people in the world who have cracked making pad FPS fun for me; I'll stay on PS4.

Played the hell outta Destiny. Prob more than any game in my entire gaming history.

Story absolutely sucked ass. The gameplay, and gunplay, and that "feel" that's so hard to explain to non gamers, they cranked right outta the park.

I preordered D2. What can say except, I hope they've improved everything they fucked up with D1.

Looking forward to the beta, big time.

Whooter    222

If anyone wants to try out the early access beta without preordering, just create an account on the Hong Kong PSN.  You'll be able to download it there right now, and can play either on the HK PSN or switch back to your regular account, and you'll have access to it.

I've only played the SP mission, but I can see it's gonna end up sucking me back in...

• Like 1

Whooter    222

Just played the story mission on the PC Beta (scored an early access code from someone.)

I'm floored by how well it plays on my modestly specced computer and still looks fantastic @ 1440p

Will definitely be going PC for this iteration of the series...

Graeme    59

I didn't get a chance to use my Beta code for the console test, so I've used it for the PC test (even though it goes into open beta soon). Downloading it right now.

I've heard it's good on PC. I wonder if I've made a mistake getting the PS4 version.

Magness    44

I am really not sure which version to get between PC and PS4 but, PC can run faster, looks prettier and is around £10 cheaper here... But everyone I played Destiny 1 with is on PS4 and the co-op gameplay was what sold me on Destiny to begin with. Any word on cross play being added between PC and XBX (or PS4) later or anything?

Graeme    59

I think I'll be happy sticking with PS4. Especially since it comes out so much sooner.

At first it seemed like my PC just couldn't handle the game. It seemed very choppy and a low frame rate. With the game's default settings I was probably averaging less than 20fps and only at 720p. I thought I had changed it to low settings and was still getting the same results, but you have to reboot the game for video settings to take affect at all.

On Low settings, I went through the whole strike locked at 60fps, which was quite nice. I upped it to medium and saw a bit of a drop, but not bad. The nice thing about this game is that there's hardly any difference between low and highest settings, so playing on low or medium is completely fine to get the better fps.

I just didn't feel comfortable with the game though. I have hardly played any shooters on PC in the last few years (decade?) and played a lot of Destiny on PS4 and jumped right back into the game a little while ago. I know I'd get used to it pretty quickly on PC, but I don't think I need to. PS4 will actually run at a higher res for me, will have the controls I'm familiar with, have the exclusive PS4 content (which I assume PC won't get), will let me play sitting on my couch easier, and comes out easier. PC gives me better framerate and better controls once I get used to it.

Plus, I just hate having to fiddle with umpteen settings, and never be sure if it's exactly how I should have it.

iainl    125

Beta slowly, slowly downloading here. My overwhelming impression from that video is that the difference is in texture memory, and as 2GB card owner (admittedly a GTX 770, one of the faster cards before they started making 3GB standard) it's just as well Low looks so good.

Still can't decide if I want the PC or PS4 release,  but hopefully this will help me.

Graeme    59

I'm a little disappointed with this "beta". There's not much content there. The opening mission, the strike and 2 crucible maps... which is what they showed at E3. It would have been nice to have a few more missions, or a city type area to explore. This feels like it was simply a preorder marketing tool than an actual test for anything.

I guess with PC, at the very least it's probably nice to have it tested on as many PCs as possible well before the launch. But I can't see this stressing the servers, or really being used for balance or anything much else.

Funny, how with the Destiny 1 beta, they actually gave us a pretty big chunk of the game and people were unsure as to how much more there was going to be.

iainl    125

OK, even on pretty low settings so everything runs OK (I just let the game choose them itself, but I can tell from the video that I'm on low textures and fxaa aliasing) 60fps Destiny on a mouse and keyboard is a completely different game, and one I prefer. Which is weird, because I always said that Bungie's ability to make joypad FPS work was the single most interesting thing about them.

Guess I'm going PC.

• Like 1

Whooter    222
22 hours ago, Graeme said:

I'm a little disappointed with this "beta". There's not much content there. The opening mission, the strike and 2 crucible maps... which is what they showed at E3. It would have been nice to have a few more missions, or a city type area to explore. This feels like it was simply a preorder marketing tool than an actual test for anything.

I guess with PC, at the very least it's probably nice to have it tested on as many PCs as possible well before the launch. But I can't see this stressing the servers, or really being used for balance or anything much else.

Funny, how with the Destiny 1 beta, they actually gave us a pretty big chunk of the game and people were unsure as to how much more there was going to be.

I think it ended up being a network test more than anything. Anywho, it sold me on the PC version of the game, so now it's the long wait until the end of October for me... 

I had read somewhere that Bungie regretted putting so much of the full game in the beta for Destiny 1, and this time around wanted to hold more back to surprise players with.

iainl    125

That's fine by me. There's enough in there to confirm the game works well on my setup, including handling the co-op networking on the Strike. The original had a tonne of stuff partly to convince people there was a good game in there too, as it does as a demo. 

Graeme    59
56 minutes ago, Whooter said:

I had read somewhere that Bungie regretted putting so much of the full game in the beta for Destiny 1, and this time around wanted to hold more back to surprise players with.

I'm sure that's the case, but I don't think the problem with the Destiny 1 beta was that it spoiled the game, the problem was that there wasn't really that much more in it. If there had been like 10 planets instead of 4, then it would have been a much smaller sample of the whole game. 

With this beta, I'd have troubles believing that they're actually getting much useful network data as there isn't really much to keep people playing for more than an hour or two, unless you really like the PVP. 

With that said, I quite liked the mission we got, and I thought the Strike was quite good. 

• Like 1

dogbert    243

With this beta, I'd have troubles believing that they're actually getting much useful network data as there isn't really much to keep people playing for more than an hour or two, unless you really like the PVP. 

For the console beta, it definitely was a good networking test, forcing people to connect over a few days, with a timed social area test. 

iainl    125

Pity it's not one of those XBox + PC Common Release things that Microsoft do - Sainsbury's have a £199 bundle of One S, Forza Horizon 3 and Destiny 2. Given I want both games and rather fancy a new controller since my 360 ones are showing their age, that's like £50 for a UHD player. 

But it I don't think I want to play on Xbox. Damn. 

£45 for D2 PS4 on its own, btw.