LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
NickC

Star Wars Battlefront 2

Activision made 3.6 billion in micro transactions last year while EA made over 2 billion. This is the future, these companies are not going to give up that kind of money. And obviously, there are a lot of people supporting this. But I think they are still learning, trying to figure out the right balance. The best thing we can do is talk up the games that do it right, and call bullshit on games such as Battlefront and NBA 2k that destroy the experience. They aren’t going away, but the Internet is powerful enough these days where it can at least affect some change. And maybe I’m optimistic, but I think companies will get better at implementing them in less intrusive ways.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul said:

Activision made 3.6 billion in micro transactions last year while EA made over 2 billion. This is the future, these companies are not going to give up that kind of money.

Exactly. They've discovered that this is where the real money is. You look at how much games like GTA5 and Overwatch are raking in each month, consistently without any real ceiling, and they are going to all want in on that action. They can complain (or try to justify) by saying games still only cost $60, but given the choice of having games cost a one time $80, or even $100 fee or a $60 charge with unlimited earnings potential.... and they will choose unlimited earning potential.

If they wanted to increase the price of games, they could have. People will complain, but will get over it and buy it anyway, just like they do with everything else they want that isn't a "AAA" video game. In Canada, the price of new games shot up practically overnight from $60 to $80 when our dollar dipped a bit. It was quite a shock then, but now it's the norm. People are still buying games.

But now, with this crap, they're all just pushing it to see what we will accept and what will be the breaking point. And what we will accept and what is the breaking point will change and we will continue to accept more. It's not hard to see how a game like Overwatch would have been burned at the stake 5 to 10 years ago, and now it's the shining example of how to do it "right".

This kind of stuff is probably here to stay, and as mentioned above, kids playing games now will view this as normal pretty quickly, which is a bit scary to think. I don't blame the companies trying to make more money. I don't blame them for wanting more than $60 (or at least their cut of that) for a game you could potentially play for years, which they have to support and potentially run servers for. They probably deserve way more than $60 for that. But it can't be pay to win, and it can't be gambling. It also really can't be "we want to you feel a sense of accomplishment for the effort and that's why it will take you 40-80 hours..... or you can just pay us money instead to skip it." Fuck that.

• Like 2

Overwatch is great example since there are no character or map unlocks you have to pay for (no pay to win dynamic); it is all cosmetic. They also make the cosmetic items good enough that you actually want them so they are the best example I can think of at the moment. Having said that, you’re probably right and a few years ago we would have hated even that limitation...

6 hours ago, Graeme said:

This kind of stuff is probably here to stay, and as mentioned above, kids playing games now will view this as normal pretty quickly, which is a bit scary to think. I don't blame the companies trying to make more money. I don't blame them for wanting more than $60 (or at least their cut of that) for a game you could potentially play for years, which they have to support and potentially run servers for. They probably deserve way more than $60 for that. But it can't be pay to win, and it can't be gambling. It also really can't be "we want to you feel a sense of accomplishment for the effort and that's why it will take you 40-80 hours..... or you can just pay us money instead to skip it." Fuck that.

Well said and I couldn't agree more.

I hope this isn’t just them pulling it back until the heat dies down and then turn it back on again. 

There was some speculation that some games (Forza 7 for example) are being built with micro transactions in mind, but then waiting until after the launch windows to turn it on to avoid bad reactions and reviews. 

Either way, let’s hope they make changes that improve the game in light of this and figure out something fair when they do decide to try monetization again. Maybe white and camo Vader skins. 

• Like 1

They need to address the underlying progression system. Turning off the money aspect won’t make a difference if it still takes endless hours to unlock everything. It sounds like they’ll be rebalancing which is really necessary. Curious to hear how it goes.

https://np.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattlefront/comments/7dhacr/eastarwars_on_twitter/dpxsirl/?context=3

I'm a Producer at a AAA Studio

(I'm more than happy to provide proof to subreddit mods)

This is pretty clear what they're doing to anyone who works in the industry. They want to maximize their initial sales numbers to show to investors. Once the trade off is worth it(Probably 1-2 months in), they will enable the gamble boxes again because:

1. Everyone who was on the fence will have bought the game by now

2. You can't refund the game at this point

3. The news will have died down, and if new articles do come out, it won't be as relevant

4. They will already have good numbers to show investors

EA is going to royally fuck over the average gamer who doesn't have a clue how the industry works on this. This is about as deceptive as it gets. I hope that clarifies things…. but please do not let this extensive clarification distract you from the fact that in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer’s table

On 11/16/2017 at 7:31 PM, NickC said:

Good to see some changes come out of this, we will see where it leads.

This seems like a "just the tip" kinda promise.

• Haha 1

I hate microtransactions (especially random loot boxes) with a passion, particularly ones that punish players for not using them by making progression a ridiculous grind (anything that affects gameplay is a non-starter for me - see Halo 5 as a great example).  I didn't even bother trying the multiplayer in the trial - I want this sorted out before I invest any time in it.  But the best model I've seen is Overwatch - where everything is cosmetic and that is supporting a game that is actively providing new content as a result.  They're clever in making rolling the dice for skins tempting because of their seasonal events (you can only get certain cosmetic content during those events), but for someone like me who enjoys the gameplay it matters not because I don't much care whether or not my character is wearing a halloween costume.

But it's easy to say 'do it like Overwatch does' when Overwatch was a spectacular hit out of the gate.  For every Overwatch there seem to be five Battlebornes, and I'm sure these companies want to take advantage of this revenue stream as quickly as they can in case the game fizzles out and doesn't sustain a player base.  Perhaps that's why I'm so invested in backward compatibility - I'm like a squirrel saving nuts for the day when all games become these microtransaction laden crapfests.

Allegedly the change was in fact prompted by pressure from Disney.

When Electronic Arts said it was temporarily disabling microtransaction purchases in Star Wars Battlefront II due to feedback, it may have meant feedback from players and licensing partners alike. According to the Wall Street Journal, EA's decision to drop the microtransactions for launch came after a word from Star Wars owner Disney.

Citing a person familiar with the matter, the Journal reported that recent online backlash over the game's post-purchase monetization model had been noticed by Disney executives, with CEO Robert Iger himself said to be "alarmed." Disney head of consumer products and interactive media Jimmy Pitaro was said to express his concerns to Disney this week, specifically the company's unhappiness with how the controversy was reflecting poorly on the Star Wars brand.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-11-17-disney-pressured-ea-to-pull-star-wars-microtransactions-report

When you have a movie coming out in one month that the brand expects to be the biggest entertainment event of 2017 and well into 2018, when you've tied THAT film into the next TRILOGY of Star Wars film (via the director), some pissant games company ruffling up bad press centered around your core text (Star Wars) is going to get attention.  For what, an extra hundred million bucks or two in 6 month window?  That is chicken feed to Disney and the relevance of SW to their financial future.  They aren't letting their teenage kid put a "Bite Me!" Sticker on the family Porsche and drive around town.  They want good memories and good press and good experiences. And GREAT earnings, on all fronts, with no problems.

• Like 1

Is it known how long EA has the license for? I’m still trying to think about who I’d hand it to if it were my choice (I’d probably just start up Lucasarts again in house).

1 minute ago, Angry the Clown said:

Is it known how long EA ha e the license for? I’m still trying to think about who i’d hand it to if it were ny choice. 

I believe it was 10 years starting in 2013 

38 minutes ago, NickC said:

I believe it was 10 years starting in 2013 

Wow, this deal gets worse all the time. 

• Like 3

And all they have to show for it is 2 Battlefront Games. Visceral is gone and no word on when Respawns game will show up. All they needed to do was update the Old Republic games for a new generation and people would have probably been happier. I know I would have been. 

• Like 1