LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Xbox One X - Available November 7th 2017 - $499.99

Eh, it said "your friend will not have to pay a fee"

No, his followup says YOU will not have to pay a fee. Zero clarity on his friend. Considering the denial of reports, I'm going with the pessimist view on this one, Brian. ;)

Seriously though, some clarity in general would be nice here Microsoft.

No, his followup says YOU will not have to pay a fee. Zero clarity on his friend. Considering the denial of reports, I'm going with the pessimist view on this one, Brian. ;)

The typo he was trying to fix was the *free* *fee* and he garbled it agian because it's fucking twitter. Not that I believe some random MS support dude at this point.

MS obviously intended online required. MS obviously intended no preowned. Both are getting backtracked on, the online required a little before the announcement (the recent leaked email) & in the next week for the preowned, lol.

MS obviously intended online required. MS obviously intended no preowned. Both are getting backtracked on, the online required a little before the announcement (the recent leaked email) & in the next week for the preowned, lol.

I think there's obviously some type of preowned limitation. They are completely shutting their mouths about it, but good god the internets will explode when they finally do outline it and it will be glorious to read.  ;)

It will be even more interesting to see how Sony responds to it. Will they jump aboard or choose to keep the status quo as a competitive advantage?

Via Eurogamer:

EG: The big thing that everything is concerned about is the Xbox One's attitude to second-hand gaming. I really want to try to get to the bottom of this issue before we talk about anything else.

Harrison: Okay, so, I can understand where some of the confusion may have come from, so let me try to help out there. First of all, you can buy a game on a disc from a retail store, come home and install it to your Xbox One. The disc contains all the bits and data on that game, which you can then give to your friend, and they can then install it on their Xbox One. No restriction on that, except that the second person obviously has to pay for it.

You can purchase a game in two ways: you can purchase it from a retail store or you can download it. So the act of putting the bits on the hard drive - the Xbox One doesn't really know or care what method the bits got into the machine, if it was from a disc or downloaded from Xbox Live. But obviously the users will then have to purchase that content.

What I think people are now confusing is the purchasing of content in the first instance with the ability to trade and resell the previously played games. We have a solution for that and we will be announcing exactly how that works in due course.

EG: Why can't you talk about it today?

Harrison: Today is about introducing the platform and it's about introducing the big themes of what Xbox One is about as a new entertainment device that brings together games, TV and entertainment into one place. I think it's inappropriate for us to go into every avenue of tiny little detail today, but we will in due course, so...

EG: Okay. I mean, it's just funny having come from a panel where the amount of detail they were going into on the silicon and power-switching on that, to come in here and be told you can't talk about something that it sounds like you already know the answer to and would clear up a lot of people's suspicions and concerns.

Harrison: Well, let me say it again: we will have a solution that we will talk about in very short order about how previously played games can be traded between players.

EG: When you install a game on Xbox One, does it lock it to a single account on that system, and therefore if someone in your household has another account does it restrict them from playing?

Harrison: No.

EG: So they're able to play the game, Okay.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-21-xbox-one-second-hand-games-will-charge-a-fee-to-play

Adam Sessler @AdamSessler     4h

The cheering in the audience is not coming from the press...

So if its not the audience/press.....

So if its not the audience/press.....

No, he said "not coming from the press". There were microsoft peeps at the back of the hall making the noise apparently.

https://twitter.com/XboxSupport/status/336957014729175040

[q]That information is not accurate at this time. Sorry for any confusion. ^BA[/q]

lol. clusterfuck. Kotaku reporter on GAF thinks the support is wrong, Harrison is right... We shall see.

I think there's a lot of confusion & crossed wires & misunderstanding... But I think it's a fair guess that MS is presuming/hoping for users to get used to the idea of them buying a licence not a 'disc' and are going to give you the ability to give up a license so you can trade the game in... But I don't see the concept of just borrowing a friend's disc to play fit into that model right now...

No, he said "not coming from the press". There were microsoft peeps at the back of the hall making the noise apparently.

Ah makes sense then.

This seems somewhat clear:

Jon Hicks
@MrJonty

On second hand games: you buy disc, it installs, you play from HD. Sell disc, it installs to new console and deactivates your install.

But doesn't that go against Harrison's comment that you could give the disc to a friend, and your friend would have to pay? So, if you gave the disc to your friend, your friend would install and then you couldn't play it any more? Obviously this kills rentals dead too. 

My head hurts.

But doesn't that go against Harrison's comment that you could give the disc to a friend, and your friend would have to pay? So, if you gave the disc to your friend, your friend would install and then you couldn't play it any more? Obviously this kills rentals dead. 

I was about to ask the same. It seems like Harrison confirmed that borrowing a disc would incur a fee. Eurogamer had two updates. The first:

Update 2: Our man on the ground Tom Bramwell was able to speak to corporate vice president of Microsoft Phil Harrison about this hot-button issue and was able to confirm that a second user can install a game from a friend's disc for a fee, though it's unclear how much this will be. Harrison also confirmed that several users sharing a console can access the same game at no additional charge, and Microsoft has "a solution" for the resale market, though it's staying mum on those for now.

Shortly after they posted an update saying that was NOT true based on Xbox Supports tweet I posted above which is still fucking unclear to me. AAAAAAaaarrgh.

It's a clusterfuck of a message. They either know the answer & don't want to say right now (because they know it'll be unpopular) or they haven't thought it through.

What about just borrowing a game from a friend for a night?

What about rentals?

What about second-hand sales?

What about users with multiple machines and a XBL account they shuttle back & forth between them?

What about multiple users on the one machine?

etc.

Gamespot president on the topic:

Speaking with us shortly after Microsoft's Xbox One reveal, Bartel spoke about both the company's resolve to transition gamers from the current generation to the next and the importance of second-hand games. Wired reported earlier that Xbox One will include a mandatory install before games can be played, and that second-time users would need to pay a small, one-time fee. Polygon is currently waiting on comment from Microsoft.

When asked about Xbox One's potential second-hand fee, Bartel said the information came "as a surprise" and declined to comment "on speculation."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/21/4352772/gamestop-president-sony-and-microsoft-see-the-value-in-used-games-on

Right now I'm taking Harrison's comments over an XB Support tweet until something else comes out otherwise.

Thumbs up to Bramwell for getting a little shirty with Harrison's attempt to weasel his way out of an appropriate answer with all his "I think it's inappropriate for us to go into every avenue of tiny little detail today" bollocks. Bramwell's comeback about the fucking lengthy and very detailed tech discussion held after the event was perfect. 

Here's what gets me. How does all of this work WITHOUT the console being online? They've stated always online is not a requirement but an internet connection is off the bat but it seems that an internet connection is an absolutely requirement whenever you want to install/play a new game, no if the reality of all this activation/deactivation rings true?

Thumbs up to Bramwell for getting a little shirty with Harrison's attempt to weasel his way out of an appropriate answer with all his "I think it's inappropriate for us to go into every avenue of tiny little detail today" bollocks. Bramwell's comeback about the fucking lengthy and very detailed tech discussion held after the event was perfect.

Kotaku's guy said he'd follow up on GAF. He did.

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

Speaking to us at the big event in Redmond today, Microsoft corporate vice president Phil Harrison clarified a couple of details about the system's used game policy and explained that there will be a solution for people who want to trade games with their friends.

Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game,you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said.

Other users on the console will be able to play that game as well, Harrison said. So you don't need to buy multiple games per family. "With the built-in parental controls of the system it is shared amog the users of the device," he said.

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison says.

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

But that doesn't mean used games are dead. In fact, Harrison told us, you'll be able to sell your Xbox One games online.

"We will have a solution—we’re not talking about it today—for you to be able to trade your previously-played games online," Harrison said.

I'm going to stress this again:

you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game.

This isn't some magic unique disc id system (which does exist, SCEA has it in action already). It's a piece of paper with a unique ID on it. That's what's granting you the game access, the disc is just a handy install shortcut instead of waiting for the internet download.

So when you give the disc to a friend, of /course/ it's going to prompt you if you want to buy a nice shiny new license as it's not on your account yet.

So its fucking PC gaming on a console. All of that confusion for that. LOL.

It's fucking Steam.

EDIT:  Fascinated to see how online used game sales works and if MS tries to cut out retailers on that!

My head hurts.

Fucking this.  

To make things worse, this is press conference 1 of 2 (or maybe more) that we have to piece together all of the information.

This should be easier.  

Your move, Sony.... (personally I expect something similar, though perhaps not mandatory... and yet what's worse for the consumer? Making it optional for publishers would probably lead to a gamer being confused as to why game x demands internet connection to active and game y doesn't).

So its fucking PC gaming on a console. All of that confusion for that. LOL.

It's fucking Steam.

Exactly.

My thought is Microsoft wants control of the used game sales through XBL alongside publishers. You can sell your games online and they are going to look to cut out the retail used game sales market entirely. Unless publishers plan to provide activation codes to Gamestop for the resale of their used games (yeah, right). If they don't, all Gamestop gets back is a coaster. How's that PC used game market going for Gamestop lately?

Boy does that tie nicely into EA getting rid of the online pass. Customer feedback indeed!