LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Xbox One X - Available November 7th 2017 - $499.99

Game Pass continues to be the best thing since sliced bread.  Two games I came this close -> <- to buying on PC yesterday, showed up on GP last night.  "Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden," and "Ashen."  Saved me $75 or so.  Plus I also saw "Strange Brigade" which is something I've been interested in, but not at the price they have it on Steam.  Huzzah!

18 minutes ago, iainl said:

Ashen sounds interesting, too. I have never understood MK. 

Same. I’ve never been really into fighting games in general. 

I find they generally require a time investment to be at all competent that I am rarely bothered to make.

Virtua Fighter and Soulcalibur have been the ones to hold my attention for any amount of time in the realm of traditional fighters.

Smash Bros and the original Bushido Blade are my faves in the non-traditional realm. Bushido Blade could really use a comeback.

Virtua Fighter is my favourite fighting series ever. I like the pace of it. It’s not too frantic. The earlier Tekken games, 3 in particular, hit similar buttons for me. I am impressed with Killer Instinct on XB1 as well which by comparison IS frantic and built around its fast paced combo system, but it is nevertheless silly enough to be entertaining and moderately accessible for people like me who are generally terrible at fighting games. My suspicion is modern MK games are quite similar.

My fondness for the Street Fighter series is more nostalgia based given my total lack of skill playing them, but I still got entertainment value from that and the older MvC titles. I’d still like to get the anniversary collection.

Smash is is so uniquely stupid and impeccably executed that it’s a frantic fighter I can finally say I have fallen for. Turned out it was more intimidating seeing other people play it than it was to properly dedicate time to one of the games myself. 

I used to play fighters all the time. Xbox 360 had plenty of good ones. Dead or Alive Ultimate got a ton of play by forum members.

I have dyspraxia so I think it’s a coordination problem that always left me stumbling with fighters (but that’s also why I still play them, and games in general as they can help my broken brain). I’m amazed how basic Smash is with its controls and special moves actually as, again, seeing others play it used to make me think it was as complicated as Street Fighter but, certainly in the case of Ultimate anyway, it’s one of the most accessible fighting games I have ever played.

Virtua Fighter, early Tekkens and Soul Calibur always had a great balance of accessibility and were never so fast that I would lose focus on what was going on. I blindly mash buttons and hope for the best when playing Killer Instinct, but it cost me £8 and I get my entertainment value out of it so for nothing beyond what little Gamepass costs us I will definitely throw Mortal Kombat X into the mix.  :)  

MVC3? Oh go on, then. Was only trying to persuade my son to try SFIV at the weekend.

Don't really need to let Just Cause 3 spend another 72 hours unpacking itself after the PS4 release, though.

"Aftercharge is a team-based cooperative multiplayer online first-person shooter game " NO THANK YOU.

In case you were wondering about how you spent 2018 playing Xbox games, Microsoft has you covered.

2018 Xbox Year in Review

Some stats from my year:

• Top 1% GamerScore (reached 37,585 total points, which is  up 25% over the prior year)
  • Top 7% time played (376 hours total)
  • Top 1% in number of Achievements earned (360 in total, appropriately enough)
  • Forza Horizon 3 was my most played game at over 50 hours, followed by Forza Horizon.

The most amusing thing is that because I spent so much time with the Forza Horizon series in 2018, it says my favorite genre was sports games, which is definitely not on brand for me.

Anyway, as I said on Twitter, I spent a lot of time on Xbox last year, as you can probably see. Of the 47 games I completed in total, 28 of them were on Xbox One X. 

In some ways it's neat to be able to get stats like that, but in others it just shows how much tracking data they have now.  I was a little surprised at some of them though:

• It's telling me top 2% on gamerscore with 101018 (+3450 or 3%), so it must be tracking percentage increase and not overall total
  • 187 hours played, with 67 on AC Origins.  Sounds about right.
  • Top 1% in achievements earned with 242, which seems pretty low.  I would have thought that there'd be a lot more out there.  I did play through all of MCC though, which has a lot of small ones that you pick up along the way. 

With that caveat that its definition of 2018 is only the first 10 months of the year:

• My GamerScore is 26,991 (+6,900 in 2018; +26%; top 1% of players)
  • 354 hours (top 8% of hours played)
  • 291 new achievements (top 1% of achievements earned)
  • Most played game: Assassin's Creed: Origins at 82 hours (!)

(The cutoff means it doesn't count me playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Red Dead Redemption 2, Battlefront II, Overcooked, Spyro: Ripto's Rage, a lot of Forza Horizon 4...  My GamerScore was actually 29,800 at the end of 2018.)

...and it also said that sports is my favorite genre, 100% because of Forza.

Top 100% Gamerscore!

8 hours played. 

Most played game was Sea of Thieves Beta at 6 Hours (which I think I may have left running for a few hours). 

Pretty sure I spent more time downloading updates than playing Xbox this year. 

- We Happy Few (January 17) 
- The LEGO Movie Videogame (January 17)
- Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (January 24)
- Saints Row: The Third (January 24)

• Like 1

Crackdown 3 on day of release... Shadow of the Tomb Raider (making all three modern games on the service) a few months after release, and the excellent Batman games (that I paid $5 for on sale a few weeks ago, doh). That's ridiculous value. De Blob's a fun wee wii era platformer that's much better without waggle controls. 

I love this service ;) 

• Like 1

My son loves it, because he keeps playing all sorts of things he doesn't know whether he'd like.

I like it in theory, but frankly the only things I play on it are Forza Horizon 4 and Rocket League, because they're the only things I play anywhere at the moment outside Switch...

7 hours ago, dogbert said:

Crackdown 3 on day of release... Shadow of the Tomb Raider (making all three modern games on the service) a few months after release, and the excellent Batman games (that I paid $5 for on sale a few weeks ago, doh). That's ridiculous value. De Blob's a fun wee wii era platformer that's much better without waggle controls. 

I love this service ;) 

Yeah I bought Batman during a sale recently also.

Crikey. That’s a bounty of stuff! 

I’ve been attacking my Gamepass titles of interest lately. Having crossed Sunset Overdrive and Wolfenstein New Order off the completed list I will likely tackle Shadow of Mordor next, though its length is a wee bit longer than I’d like. 

Will absolutely play Crackdown, de Blob and Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and sure revisiting Arkham might be of interest down the line.

Those are some good additions.  Crackdown 3 is definitely interesting, and I'd still like to give the last Tomb Raider a shot.  I'm kind of surprised that there's still not an "XBL Platinum" subscription that bundles both Gold and GamePass, but if they can get people to subscribe to both anyway, no need to do it I suppose. 

Batman: Return to Arkham (February 21)
Headlander (February 21)
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (February 21)
The Walking Dead: Season 2 (February 28)
Alien: Isolation (February 28)

YyOKGSA.jpg

• Like 1