LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Xbox One X - Available November 7th 2017 - $499.99

Headlander looks very me. Maybe I'll give Alien Isolation another try, as I stopped playing before even reaching the Alien due to it being too scary.

Some good games there. Headlander is a decent Metroid-vania in case that interests you. 

I miss the eventuality of $99 hardware at the end of a console cycle.  These days, you’ll still pay in the $120 ballpark for a PS3 with a decent sized HDD. The systems were still $199 by the end of the generation. The 360 wasn’t far behind.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

The age of consoles with mandatory HDDs always struck me as the most prohibitive factor in seeing sub £/$100 prices. Would that be a fair assumption?

Possibly.  You could probably build an Xbox with something like 128GB of flash storage reasonably cheaply (and recommend external storage), and taking out the BR drive would help drive costs down, but $99 might be pushing it.  128GB would mean what-a couple of installed games at most? 

I think the wii mini was the last console that launched at $100, and to get there they ripped out all the gamecube and network support. 

• Like 1

With these modern consoles using more off the shelf parts, it might be possible to cut corners for a much lower cost sku. Would switching to flash storage also reduce the amount of cooling? It'd definitely reduce footprint - take out the BD drive, take out the hard drive, you're shaving off a fair bit of space + weight. Not sure what the cost impact of all that would be though. 

We barely use the BD in ours. 

• Like 1

Oooh, that's interesting. I really enjoyed 3 for the amount of time I played it (has anyone ever finished a Just Cause game? They're great fun for a few hours, before each map of unending repetition gets too much) but that was through PS+, so I'll lose it soon.

Are the physics less broken than at launch?

Oh wow, that's great news. I don't have a lot I'm playing on PC rather than Xbox at the moment, but it should stop me buying games I have there twice.

It sucks Mankind Divided never got an X patch. It’s lovely on the PS4 Pro and is a stellar freaking game to boot. Vampire is a nice add, too though I really need to buckle down and get back to it (only played a few hours).

Oooh, Edith Finch please. I honestly doubt I could tell the difference between MvC3 (that's already on GP) and Infinite anyway. Didn't have a single clue what I was doing with it, and rapidly retreated to the safety of SFIV.