LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Xbox One X - Available November 7th 2017 - $499.99

On the design front, considering how much has been made about making these new units more PC like in terms of what it offers developers to make life easier, is it really a surprise that the design resembles an HTPC case? I have a feeling the PS3 will feature a very industrial like design as well.

Oh & on the online connection, again from that Wired article:

This positively puts one friend of mine out of getting it.  He has no internet at home and I don't see him getting it anytime soon.

Let's hope that the game installs are small, or the 500GB will go fast.  The Wired article makes it sound like it's another proprietary hard drive.

Let's hope that the game installs are small, or the 500GB will go fast.  The Wired article makes it sound like it's another proprietary hard drive.

Average PC game installs today run in the range of 8-13GB. With outliers running into the 20-30GB range. High resolution textures and all of that great stuff take sup space and considering they are moving to BD discs - that size is going to get bigger before it gets smaller. The question becomes how much or what data is being installed. That could make things a bit more manageable. 

The question becomes how much or what data is being installed

All of it. The disc is no longer required once you've activated it.

I'm sure I'm in the minority in saying I like the design. Yeah, it's bulky but it's simple and I'm good with that.

I have to disagree.  After seeing a few more shots of it, I’m inclined to say it’s pretty ugly.  It’s bulky, yes, but not simple.  There are no elegant lines on this thing.  The front face plate is split in half with what appear to be two different colored panels.  Why?  Why not make the front of the unit look like a single cohesive piece with a slot for the BD drive and the Xbox logo in the corner?  That might look at least somewhat elegant.

I can kind of understand why the top of the unit is not uniform.  Half of it is clearly devoted to the grille for heat dissipation, so there’s a function being served there.  Still, even then I don’t know why they chose to make the grille a different color that the other half of the unit.  It looks weird to me.

All of it. The disc is no longer required once you've activated it.

Well, there you go. That's going to eat up space relatively quickly if you have have a large library on a 500GB HDD.

I have to disagree.  After seeing a few more shots of it, I’m inclined to say it’s pretty ugly.  It’s bulky, yes, but not simple.  There are no elegant lines on this thing.  The front face plate is split in half with what appear to be two different colored panels.  Why?  Why not make the front of the unit look like a single cohesive piece with a slot for the BD drive and the Xbox logo in the corner?  That might look at least somewhat elegant.

I can kind of understand why the top of the unit is not uniform.  Half of it is clearly devoted to the grille for heat dissipation, so there’s a function being served there.  Still, even then I don’t know why they chose to make the grille a different color that the other half of the unit.  It looks weird to me.

The wonders of opinion. You put more thought into the design than I ever would have. Once the thing goes in my entertainment center, I pay it very little mind. Of course you already knew this. For the sake of conversation though, the more industrial look works for me. It has a very desktop PC case quality and considering my background - it should surprise no one why I find that appealing. I personally think there's a great deal of elegance in the simplicity of a PC case so subjectively it works.

I was trying to work out how you upgrade the HDD. From the internal shot we know it's at the right rear of the unit (if viewed face on). However, from the side and rear views there is no sign of an access port. I've concluded the grille must lift off somehow in order to access the hard disc, unless you pull it out from underneath, but the wiring in the internal shot would seem to suggest that would be impractical.

As I noted, I don't mind being in the minority. :Cruise:  

One thing I'm happy about - the move away from vertical standing console design. Fuck that whole period where that was considered "cool".

This is going to sell gangbusters regardless of our griping. It's no WiiU.

Yep. Most of us will buy one as well eventually, too. No two ways about it.

For me it's a question of which I buy first this holiday season. I won't be buying both.

This is going to sell gangbusters regardless of our griping. It's no WiiU.

I'm not sold that either console will sell gangbusters. If the pricing is right, sure. No way either console is under $500. I  just can't see it. Especially with MS now including a Kinect in all boxes. I imagine MS has the ability to take a greater loss on each console for a larger amount of time, but do they want to? The gaming world is a lot different than it was when the last consoles released. COD players are still going to be able to play Ghosts on the 360/PS3, as well as EA Sports games. 

-Dean-

There's something so cartoony about Forza 5. That last pic in particular.

To be fair, the McLaren is made of carbon fiber and is somewhat cartoonish in appearance.

Looks intriguing if nothing else-not a big surprise either with the docked app view.  That's exactly what things on Windows 8 do.  Waiting for the next announcement-that all Windows 8 metro apps will run on the Xbox One out of the box.  Would make for an interesting ecosystem if nothing else, and could help both platforms succeed. 

As for that stuff with multiple owners, what about multiple accounts on the same console?  If this requires two purchases, that's a big problem for us...