LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Anthem - Bioware's Destiny (PS4, XB1, PC)

Here you go:

VENTURE INTO DANGER

In this shared-world action-RPG, you and your friends are Freelancers—the bold few with the courage to leave civilization behind, explore a landscape of primeval beauty, and confront the dangers you find.

UNITE WITH FRIENDS
Up to four players band together to take on whatever perils you discover as a heroic team. As your friends support you in your journey, so do your victories and rewards benefit your friends.

RISE TO ANY CHALLENGE
Wield an arsenal of Javelin exosuits, each equipped with unique weapons and abilities. Customize them with gear you earn and craft, then use them to fly, leap, and climb through a contiguous open world.

CHART YOUR PATH
Experience massive, world-altering occurrences like Shaper Storms. Fight savage beasts and ruthless marauders. Delve forgotten ruins as you seek to defeat the forces plotting to conquer humanity.

CONTROL YOUR FATE
Your power grows with every step into the unknown. Whether plunder, revenge, or glory lures you onward, your choices will irrevocably change you—and the world around you.

Z1FBCRv.jpg 

AgZvN6b.jpg

YUP!!

Barely paid attention to the reveal at the EA Presser, but I loved what I saw in the gameplay demo. The flying looks great.

There's a lot I really like the look of - the lush open world, the incidental wildlife, the fact you're basically all Iron Man. I'm just not sure I like the third-person camera creating a massive blind spot where the character is. The way the in-town stuff is in first person suggests it may be optional when in the suit as well, though, so I'm definitely still interested.

There is just not enough time to spare between this and Destiny 2. I'm far too far into the Destiny side of the fence, to bail on D2. 

Game looks nice but, I'm a Desticle. 

I'm inclined to go for another Destiny because the core shooting is so good. But this looks like the more interesting world. 

Sure looks beautiful! I don't trust it yet though. Scripted gameplay, and a possible graphic downgrade, that we've seen devs do in the past, have me cautious. 

But, if this "too good to be true" looking game actually delivers...I might just dive in. 

I would say there is a good chance that Destiny 2 will have been out for a year or more before this comes out. 

AC Origins was confirmed to be running using checkerboarding as well. Nothing wrong with it either but still noteworthy given Microsofts TRUE 4K nonsense. Anyone that believed the console was going to run all of these titles natively...well.

• Like 1

Isn’t the ‘everything you need to know’ basically ‘It’s Destiny with the serial numbers filed off’? :P

Via resetera, a breakdown of info in a July Game Informer article:

• Game is online only.
  • No loot boxes.
  • Potentially one game for the series. Mapped out to be a service.
  • 30 FPS on consoles. Uncapped on PC.
  • Voiced human playable character.
  • No recruitable party members. Game will be harder to play solo.
  • All stats are based in the suits. No reason to make new characters.
  • Microtransactions are cosmetic only "forever".
  • Can't customize character after initial creation (at launch).
  • World is not gated. One large open world.
  • TBA on cross-platform play.
  • No plans for Switch.
  • No PVP.
  • Dialogue trees are in the game but are simpler than previous implementations.
  • There is a height limit in the game for flight.
  • Can't steal loot.
  • Story is less Sci-Fi focused than Mass Effect.
  • At any point you can enter "Hover Mode" with a button press.
  • Gender will have a minor design differences for lighter suits but won't for heavy ones.
  • Tutorial is based on the Ranger suit. Halfway through the critical path you will gain access to all 4 suits.
  • GI Impressions point to the story being divided up into two components. FPS exploration of the city (think Normandy or Skyhold) where you talk with NPCs and make choices (this area is single player only). Rest of the story being events in the shared co-op world.
  • More focus on unique personalities and interactions for NPCs. Think of the events with your crew in the ME3 Citadel DLC.
  • Bioware wants to alleviate frustrations folk have with co-op games.
  • You will fight that Spider boss seen in the EA demo multiple times. Either for loot or through reuse in latter missions, GI staff wasn't sure.

I’m going to be that guy. But no romance options in a Bioware game just seems wrong to me. I was disappointed when I read that. Plus, while I know it is supposed to look cool, I don’t know what it is, but nothing is exciting me about this game yet.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Paul said:

I’m going to be that guy. But no romance options in a Bioware game just seems wrong to me. I was disappointed when I read that. Plus, while I know it is supposed to look cool, I don’t know what it is, but nothing is exciting me about this game yet.

What about bromance though? :)

But seriously yeah nothing they've showed has made me go " I have to play that game". 

They failed to win my interest yesterday too. It was always going to be difficult as not much will drag me to an online game anyway, but even visually it wasn't tremendously exciting. Now if Square's Marvel game happened to be similar, letting players band together as various heroes.... well that could be intriguing. 

• Like 1

Years on and these developers are still chasing that first time we fought that dragon boss in Phantasy Star Online and the feeling of bliss we felt doing it. Two Destiny games in and I still haven't felt it. I don't know if its because of age or just  sheer nostalgia. Either way, this is a game I should be much much more interested in than I am and I can't place my finger on why really. It looks good, seems to play well but I have the same trepidation I had before Destiny released and the sequel didn't really do much to change my perspective - where's the story? World building? Maybe I'm being harsh but I remember the first Destiny trailer that finally got me was the E3 one that went into the history of the traveler and setup the reasons I should be excited to explore their world. Bungie failed miserably with the first game (the expansions were better) and the sequel improved but not enough for me to bother staying after completion. I haven't seen anything out Anthem that wraps all of this in any narrative that seems worth a damned to me. That mission could have had a Warlock, Hunter and Titan in it and I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference other than the underwater stuff (which was neat!).

Maybe I have Danny Glover syndrome?

giphy.gif

Maybe its also that I'm more willing to give Bungie a pass in how they deal with their RPG narrative learning curve but I am not willing to give Bioware the same leeway considering their pedigree? This is the company behind Baldurs Gate II, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Knights of the Old Republic! I shouldn't be searching for something interesting about your story/world 8 months from release!

• Like 1