LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Anthem - Bioware's Destiny (PS4, XB1, PC)

Still can’t decide on this. “Destiny, but you’re Tony Stark” is a great idea, the world looks gorgeous and it’s all clearly very well done. But I haven’t found the time to go back to Destiny 2 in months and still don’t have Forsaken, so I don’t need another one in my life. 

• Like 1

So I’ve played a few hours of the VIP demo now and it’s not bad. It’s definitely Destiny-like but, the player remains the same - you change class based on the Javelin you take out which is a good way to do it. The Javelins and specifically the jet packs on them are pretty awesome :) that has not gotten old in the demo so far. Graphically, the game looks gorgeous but, it’s a little weird playing in 3rd person but, being in 1st person in the hub city (the opposite of Destiny). I think the movement feels a little too “floaty” but, that may be just an issue with the demo version. The gunplay is ok and there is a lot of variety even in the demo but, the guns and the shooting does not feel up to the level of Destiny IMO. Will play some more later today but, so far impressions are good - not great but, this is an early demo.

• Like 2

Reminder:  The Anthem Demo this weekend is open to everyone that downloads the client.  I don't know about PS4, but on Xbox One you can search for Anthem Demo in the Store, and it should come up.  You'll need to use the Origin client for PC.

If i end up playing it... I would be a PS4'er.   Will give it a try this weekend and see, but I'm thinking division 2 may be more my speed.

So I played an hour of the Anthem demo again on PC today and it’s definitely better than last weekend so that’s good. Load times are WAY better and matchmaking and joining my friends game was a lot easier. However, the floaty controls and movement are still not fun, the gunplay still doesn’t feel right to me and you still move too slow in town and too fast when flying with mouse control. Just not sure on this one... will play more this weekend though. I like it but, I think Kyle is right and Division 2 might be the way to go, or this will,convince me to just un-ass the money and pay for the Destiny 2 annual pass 😊

5 hours ago, Magness said:

So I played an hour of the Anthem demo again on PC today and it’s definitely better than last weekend so that’s good. Load times are WAY better and matchmaking and joining my friends game was a lot easier. However, the floaty controls and movement are still not fun, the gunplay still doesn’t feel right to me and you still move too slow in town and too fast when flying with mouse control. Just not sure on this one... will play more this weekend though. I like it but, I think Kyle is right and Division 2 might be the way to go, or this will,convince me to just un-ass the money and pay for the Destiny 2 annual pass 😊

I feel like I dropped out of Destiny 2 too long ago now, and I should just wait until D3 at this point.   Besides I think I can only manage one of these type of games at a time.  Maybe I do go back to destiny after seeing how the other two play.

• Like 2

I feel like Anthem is more about the Abilities, rather than the gunplay.  Playing as a Storm, I really only use my guns when the abilities are on cooldown, or to finish off a combo.

I'm loving it so much right now...

• Like 2

On 1/31/2019 at 1:02 PM, Starhawk said:

I hope they get cross play going soon. I'm probably the only one here that'd be playing on PS4.

Ill be on ps4 as well. 

On 2/1/2019 at 6:49 PM, Kyle-K said:

I feel like I dropped out of Destiny 2 too long ago now, and I should just wait until D3 at this point.   Besides I think I can only manage one of these type of games at a time.  Maybe I do go back to destiny after seeing how the other two play.

Miss seeing you on Destiny!! I’m still playing it. I have a feeling I’m going to stop during the next “season”. It’s going to be all about Gambit, and I’ve played enough of that. 

Been enjoying the Anthem demo, mostly. One thing Destiny definitely has over Anthem, is better gunplay. They just feel superior in pretty much every way, so far. 

Im waiting to see how the reviews go before I buy this game. 

I’ve decided I’m going to play Anthem so setup the Origin Access account for it. I’ll be playing on PC and the last demo being better than the VIP demo is what decided it for me, at least enough to pay for 1 month or OA. I think there’s enough here to like that it’s a fun game and the demo this past weekend was much better than the last demo so I hope they get the rest of the game into shape for launch and the following weeks.

I was underwhelmed by the demo weekend.  It got better once I unlocked the second mech, (I went with the wizardy one)   but I don't think this one is for me.  Next up; Division 2. 

That being said, I could see this getting better with a little more variety of skills and weapons,  so I'll wait for final impressions.

5 hours ago, Kyle-K said:

I was underwhelmed by the demo weekend.  It got better once I unlocked the second mech, (I went with the wizardy one)   but I don't think this one is for me.  Next up; Division 2. 

That being said, I could see this getting better with a little more variety of skills and weapons,  so I'll wait for final impressions.

I should be in the Division 2 demo this weekend, and will see what happens.  I played a metric shit-ton of Division, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this one shakes out.  I know I'm definitely tired of all the snow and cold in the first game...  :)

• Like 2

On 1/25/2019 at 4:02 PM, Romier S said:

I have the same issue with this game that I do with Day's Gone on the PS4. I should be interested but I can't find a give a fuck bone in my body and I don't know why.:(

Same here on Anthem - though I'm intrigued by Day's Gone even if it's a clone. 

I suppose it's because the story and characters (if any) don't click with me - neither did Destiny story or characters for that matter.

17 hours ago, Whooter said:

I should be in the Division 2 demo this weekend, and will see what happens.  I played a metric shit-ton of Division, so I'm looking forward to seeing how this one shakes out.  I know I'm definitely tired of all the snow and cold in the first game...  :)

You just say that because it was in New York, beanhead. 😏

Division 2 is my first purchase in months. Might also drop in this weekend. 

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2019 at 12:02 PM, Starhawk said:

I hope they get cross play going soon. I'm probably the only one here that'd be playing on PS4.

No you won't :)

• Epic Post 1

On 2/5/2019 at 9:34 AM, Angel P said:

You just say that because it was in New York, beanhead. 😏

The city and the people, I like.  It's just the Yankees I'm obligated to hate.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So Anthem early access is up now and it does look and play smoother for me (PC) but, it’s still got most of the same bugs from the last demo... Freeplay sessions won’t exit, items disappearing from inventory, audio dropout for no apparent reason, crash to desktop on loading some areas, etc. Hope this is in better shape by the 22nd. They have already patched it twice just since Friday so I’m hopeful... what’s here is fun and pretty good but, buggy enough that this should still be a beta IMO.  

I'm enjoying the hell out of it, burned through my 10 hours triel from EA Access and now have to wait until the 22nd to continue even though I pre-ordered (on Xbox.  Apparently PC players with Origin Access Premier already have unlimited access to the full game. WTF BioWare/EA?)

I don't give two fucks about PVP so if it never comes, no disappointment here.  There's plenty of ways to get the PVP fix (Apex, Division 2, etc.)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Whooter said:

It's night-and-day better than the demo, so you may be okay.  :)

Good to hear. I decided to hold off for now, but will most likely still get it later. 

13 hours ago, Whooter said:

It's night-and-day better than the demo, so you may be okay.  :)

We wound up playing for five hours yesterday.  Completely addictive.  I’m sure it’d be a completely different story solo or with randos, and I do acknowledge some of the complaints (I’m already kind of sick of the collect-a-thon mission elements), but as things stand now...?  Having a blast.

• Like 1

It definitely has its flaws and niggling little issues (for instance this morning, I got a pop up banner in the middle of the screen stating that the Server would be going down in 02:00:00, and then updated by re-popping that banner EVERY. SIXTY. SECONDS! until my controller ran low on battery and I had to log out.)  I've been playing solo and with randos and have been having a fantastic time.  

My only major complain would be that Freeplay needs to be more than 4 people for a map that size.  Especially if you're soloing.  It's not fun to run into a Titan and have the other 3 players clear on the other side of the world.  I've been able to solo all the world events I've come across, but Titans just eat my lunch, and I've not found a way to signal the other players that there's shit going on.