LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Crackdown 3 E3 Trailer from the Microsoft Conference - Releases November 15th, 2019

Day and date with the new console:

Very disappointed at the lack of a stage demo for this. Trailer was ok,

Ugh ugh ugh. 

At least we have one good Crackdown game on the Xbox One X... Even if it's old...

Are Sumo definitely still the dev team working on it? I’ve a huge soft spot for them so if they need more time then so be it (easier for me to say, perhaps, since I don’t own an XB1, but I’d be interested in the PC release).

Launch trailer (holy shit this comes out in like a week and a half lol).

I'll try it on Game Pass and if its good, I'll head out to purchase it.

Polygon had a preview up about it, it was disheartening.  Not that it was bad in a major fail kinda way, but just lots of disappoint and missed potential.  

The last few videos I've seen (I haven't been paying it much attention since the last e3), including the ones from today's Inside Xbox show, look very much how Crackdown 1 actually plays, which isn't how it's necessarily remembered. I played a good bit of Crackdown 1 on XboxX last year & this is very very similar looking. 

So it's old fashioned, yeah, but true to its source, I guess. 

I'll be giving it a go for sure. 

Indeed - it looks like the "Just Cause but with superpowered jumping instead of a grappling hook" that the first game actually was. Crackdown 2 already showed me that trying to make the formula do too much more would be asking for trouble, so I'm happy.

Looks like this is only included with the Xbox Gamepass not the “UWP” Gamepass that includes the PC version. That’s too bad... I’ll wait for impressions here and reviews.

Yep, that looks like Crackdown and that’s a good thing. Not sure how much evolution there is but I’m also not sure I need huge evolution here over a rediscovery of what made the original good.

• Like 2

The summary of that youtube vid made me grimace that we even need to explain this. :(

A lot of people aren't familiar with the Crackdown series and why it's designed like a playground for action figures and toys, rather than a big budget shooter. Maybe this video will help demonstrate why the architecture is simple and the animation is meant to convey immediate controller inputs

Really glad I have Game Pass. Because I still hope it will be my sort of thing, but I can still delete it in disgust if I don’t click with it. 

• Like 1

I never played the first two games, so I don't have any stake in how the third one turns out, but it just feels like Microsoft can't get any "wins" this gen on the first-party exclussive game front.

Yep, got the 2 months for $2 Game Pass deal.  Installing Crackdown 3 now.  Also installing 6 other games, as the wife and daughter are going to Paris next week and between those games and my new projector, I should be set.

• Like 1

I need to download it. I got Metro and plan to play it first but Crackdown is next on the list.

Reviews for it are pretty middling thus far (Giant Bomb gave it a 2 out of 5) but reviews are what they are. The biggest complaint seems to be that the game feels “dated” but if that means it’s a good follow-up to the original, I won’t see that as an issue. Reviewers hated Darksiders 3 - I enjoyed the heck out of it.

3 hours ago, JFo said:

I never played the first two games, so I don't have any stake in how the third one turns out, but it just feels like Microsoft can't get any "wins" this gen on the first-party exclussive game front.

There’s a reason they are out there buying up talent. First party has never been Microsoft’s pedigree and I have my doubts about how well they’ll curate the talent they are pulling in given their history. I hope I’m wrong as they scooped up some good dev houses recently.

It’s Crackdown with a new coat of paint. While I appreciate the simplicity, especially after putting 30 hours into Odyssey lately, I really can’t see myself staying interested like I did 10+ years ago. Right now, it doesn’t really seem like it’s going to be more then LT to aim, RT to shoot with a lot of orbs to collect. But I am having fun with it for the moment. I just don’t think it’s going to last.