LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

Metroid Prime 4 is dead. Long live Metroid Prime 4 [Switch] - Jan 2019 update: Retro to develop from scratch.

Same reason they said a core Pokemon game was in development - people will buy Switches for a new Prime.

And possibly because Nintendo hasn't said ANYTHING about Metroid since Other M (brr) that they wanted to big up the reveal. It's not like people weren't waiting for it :)

7 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'm pleased about that, personally. Time for them to work on something else.

Wait, wasn't the last one they worked on like a console generation ago?  What exactly have they been doing all this time?

I just looked it up.  They made that 2D side scroller.  Yikes, sounds like they don't have the talent they used to.  Explains why they're not the developer.  They have two interns, a community manager, and a secretary running things.

Since they last worked on Metroid they did Donkey Kong Country Returns on Wii, then later 3DS. Tropical Freeze on Wii U and whatever their current secret project is. I think they also worked on Mario Kart 7. The've had a busy enough 8yrs. 

32 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'm pleased about that, personally. Time for them to work on something else.

I'm sure someone said that about that Team Ninja game too.

"It's good Retro is doing something else."

;)

While I agree to an extent, they've been away from the franchise lone enough that I'd be ecstatic to have them back instead of a team doing their best Retro impersonation. I liken it to 343/Bungie. Yeah it's too early to definitively say that but still, it's a concern.

I'm not going to worry about it just yet. Hell, if all they can give us is a lame logo the game is probably not going to come out until 2019 as it is. 

Nintendo have taken to Youtube today to announce that development on Metroid Prime 4 as we (hardly) knew it has been canned. 

The new studio tasked with developing the game from scratch is...... Retro. So stop your bitching. 😀

• Like 1

I’d agree. My feelings with regards to Retro not doing it in the first place was primarily to do with the fact I was more interested in seeing their first Switch game be something new rather than another Prime or Kong title. I still feel that way.

That Metroid has been handed back to them at a time when they’re surely now closing in on completion of whatever Switch game they’ve been developing means, for fans of the studio’s talent at least, this will have all worked out for the better in the long term.

Hard to imagine we’ll see this before 2021 but that’s ok. Hopefully we still get a remastered trilogy in the interim, though who knows whether this delay to 4 might speed up or delay that happening?

19 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

That Metroid has been handed back to them at a time when they’re surely now closing in on completion of whatever Switch game they’ve been developing means, for fans of the studio’s talent at least, this will have all worked out for the better in the long term.

They had a big project canned around E3 last year, allegedly. And a lot of talent has churned. Allegedly. No clue what they've been working on since.

50 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

And regarding the Prime Trilogy on Switch:

If accurate it will be interesting to see just when they now decide to release it. 

OMG Metroid Prime Trilogy in HD would be my gaming dream come true. RELEASE IT NOW, DANIEL!!!!

• Like 1

Days like this are when I wish the Switch was capable of doing proper 4K ports. I would *LOVE* the Prime trilogy in proper 4K. 

I'll take the games at 1080p though. Happily.:)