LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Robot Monkey

New site software problem

If you accidentally click on a thread heavy on spoilers, like the Star Wars one, you're gonna keep seeing new comments in that thread on the "main" view of the site. Doesn't matter me now cause I've seen the film, but boy, it seems like a bad layout choice. 

I don't know what happens if I'd clicked on it months ago & it's suddenly a popular thread. 

In the posts block in the right hand side do you mean? I wasnt aware that took thread popularity into account. The spoiler thread didn’t have much discussion until the film opened, but spoiler threads showing up in the preview block is something I raised some time ago as I was terrified of accidentally glancing at something there in the Star wars thread by accident.

I don’t really know what the solution is. When I wrote my spoiler thoughts I put them in a spoiler tag, but it seems a bit daft spoiler tagging everything in the spoiler thread. I’ve since deliberately tried padding out the first paragraphs in my posts in that thread just so the previewed portion on the main page doesn’t actually ruin anything should someone read it by accident.

I really like having the posts preview block on the main page generally. I wouldn’t like to see it switched off. Is there a way to maybe have a sub forum in the entertainment section just for spoiler discussion threads, and could anything in such a sub froum somehow be exempt from showing up on the main page posts block?

In going through the settings, the best solution I can see to 1) keep the recent posts on the main page and 2) avoid spoiler threads showing up there is to create a sub-forum to Entertainment called "Spoiler Discussions". A forum section can be excluded from that recent post feed. It would appear like Technology > Gallery does not and seems like an elegant way to handle it. You'd always know what you are getting into when walking in there.

Also, for individual posts, I turned on the Spoiler button for medium and small width toolbars. I realized it was only showing on the widest version, but if you were on a tablet, mobile, or just a small window, it was a button that did not appear.

Edit: Dan I posted this before reading your post, but the answer is yes :)

• Like 2

Great work - I was using the workaround of only coming here on phone, as the mobile skin puts the recent preview off the bottom of my view where I can avoid seeing it if necessary. 

I’ve been getting the following error message since yesterday:

”Template core/front/global/footer is throwing an error.  This theme may be out of date.  Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme”.

Ah, I view the forum under the default theme and didn't see this. We may have to turn off the Subway theme for a bit until it's updated.

Subway is still there if anyone wants to try to use it for now, but I forced everyone back on default, because it looks like once you are on Subway, you are stuck there with that error.