LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Jordan_E

My Malcolm Brass Universe

Jordan_E    62

Horror short story collection?  Hope you get that out!  My fav genre!  Working on the 3rd in the Malcolm Brass books and it's short stories that tie into the MBU.    

Jordan_E    62

Not exactly Malcolm Brass material, but put my story Little Nation, Little War on Kindle.  It is semi-autobiographical, concerning various incidents that occurred growing up Indian (we don't call ourselves Native American in my fam) and extends that into a cautionary tale.  It is occasionally brutal, hard-edged, and gave me nightmares while writing it.

Carlucci    162

There seems to be an issue with the formatting on the Kindle edition.  If you choose any font size other then the very smallest, there are random hard-returns in the paragraphs.  Here's an example:

u6utpKP.jpg

Carlos.

Jordan_E    62

I see the problem.  The site defaults to tablet, rather than Kindle reader (weird, huh?) and it looked fine on tablet format.  Now, trying to change it, just made it worse.  *sigh*  Going to be a long day!

Robot Monkey    127

Here's the funny part:

I know Carlos is trying to to help, but look at his post with the picture of the problem and then the pic in his sig -- the out-of-context mic drop makes me chuckle.

• Like 1

Jordan_E    62

Still trying to work out this problem.  Have tried everything I can think of so far... tried various fixes, and it all ends up the same way.  

Carlucci    162

I'm going to play with in Calibre to see what it can do. I have used that to fix other book formats before. 

Carlos. 

Jordan_E    62

I'm going to get back to it tomorrow.  Been fiddling around with it all day, to no avail.  Changed fonts, changed this and that, submitted it with ePUB, WORD, and PDF... all the same result.  So frustrating.

Carlucci    162

No joy with my basic conversion skills in Calibre.  I downloaded it directly from Amazon to my PC to get it in the AZW3 format, but it was even worse.   Then I tried using the heuristic conversion options to convert it to mobi/AZW3 and didn't see any difference.  

I also tried it in the kindle app on my Samsung android tablet.  Same issue.

If it helps, when I download it directly to my Kindle, Calibre reports it as a "virtual book format", .KFX,  when viewing the metadata of the on-kindle file in Calibre.  That seems strange to me. 

Sorry to be the bad news guy.  I'm sure you'll get it worked out.  To the extent I can, I'm happy to be your tester for Kindle Paperwhite.   I can read it in the smallest font when I'm at home, but I need to go larger on the bus, due to the shaking/bumping bus ride.

Carlos.

Carlucci    162

Ok, one more bit of "help"/being a PITA.  Displaying the formatting in Calibre yields:

4H9FsLt.jpg

These <br> formatting codes correspond exactly to the incorrect hard-returns when the font is increased, whereas they fall at the right spot when the smallest font is selected.  I would posit that you need to get rid of all of these except when you want to start a new paragraph. I'm pretty sure Calibre can do this, but you might have a very easy time search/replacing these in whatever editor you originally used. 

Carlos.

Jordan_E    62

The final book in the MBU is now available on Kindle.  The Spear: The Collection contains several short stories that connect Malcolm Brass to NextDoor and beyond.  I have an idea for a quasi-sequel to Malcolm Brass, but not sure if I want to jump into it right now.  It is more of a stand-alone Malcolm Brass story that would take place in the 1950's.  We'll see how the outline goes.  Thanks to everyone for putting up with me on this craziness.  The books are not exactly setting the world on fire, but the fact that I finally got them out there is a major step in the right direction, as they've been sitting on the shelf for many, many years.    

• Like 1

Jordan_E    62

Decided to jump into the new story.  It's called Passenger X and concerns a monster on the cruise ship, because what else would happen when Malcolm Brass goes on a cruise?  I basically ripped off the plot to the original ALIEN and put it on a 1950's cruise ship.  Hey, I could call it an homage but that's a lot of bunk!  And since Alien pretty much "borrowed" from IT! The Terror From Beyond Space, I don't feel that bad.  

• Like 1

Dimness    78
On 8/1/2017 at 5:54 PM, Robot Monkey said:

Here's the funny part:

I know Carlos is trying to to help, but look at his post with the picture of the problem and then the pic in his sig -- the out-of-context mic drop makes me chuckle.

If only this can exist in perpetuity.....

• Like 1