Jump to content
LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Romier S

Netflix Original Series - Ozark

Recommended Posts

Just watched ep 1. Really good! Great setup. It's hard not to compare the basic ethos to Breaking Bad, but I think it compares favorably. It's certainly no copy. 

 

Definitely going to keep watching. 

 

Not quite airtight in every way. But a great start. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First episode was not what I expected...in a good way. Definitely a great start. I'm digging in tonight after Dunkirk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a pretty relentless, intense ride. It does compare favorably with Breaking Bad. I'd say this first season is on par with a below-average Breaking Bad season, if there even is such a thing.

 

Highly recommended. 

 

 

Carlos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm halfway done, and while I'm still enjoying the show, there seems to be a notable lack of tension. The ingredients are all there, the set up is sink or swim, life and death, but the tone of the characters (well, mainly Bateman) that is at times flippant in a way that just rings false. If anyone consistently conveys the desperate urgency that the story suggest, it's Linney.

 

But there are many great things about the show, this is a pretty minor complaint...and perhaps the second half will alter my assessment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rustyjaw said:

I'm halfway done, and while I'm still enjoying the show, there seems to be a notable lack of tension. The ingredients are all there, the set up is sink or swim, life and death, but the tone of the characters (well, mainly Bateman) that is at times flippant in a way that just rings false. If anyone consistently conveys the desperate urgency that the story suggest, it's Linney.

 

But there are many great things about the show, this is a pretty minor complaint...and perhaps the second half will alter my assessment.

Yes, that's a good description about Bateman. There's a scene in the last episode where a lack of continuity about what happens to him especially rings false.

 

But I thought the series was good... The tension with the wife....oooffff far too realistic :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I finished this show (season?) last night. It's really very good with some drawbacks, but the drawbacks weren't enough to derail enjoying the story as it unfolded. The main issue I was was the impossibly delicate suspension of disbelief that the story asks you to to undertake. There are so many contingencies, not really plot holes, but just contingencies that pile up...if any one of the were to fail, the whole thing collapses. I feel a few times it gets very close to that.

 

At the same time, the twists are turns that result from those contingencies are fun to watch. It's a complex story and it's told well.

 

Also, on the whole, the acting is really excellent. From the kids to the ancillary characters. Very believable. It's hard to fault Bateman too much, as his character is central and he is on screen more than anyone else. But I feel he occasionally lets up on the gas a little here and there, at points where the story is asking for a lot. The kids, all of them, are really good. The young woman who plays Ruth is excellent (you'll recognize her from The Americans, but this role is way more meaty).

 

I'm so down for another season, although I haven't looked to see if that was even part of the plan. It's certainly left open for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished it as well and ended up really enjoying it. Though part of me wished episode 8 had come earlier in the sequence. That's such an integral piece of the story that truly helps those suspension of disbelief moments you mentioned, Ed by at least providing some context around these characters.

 

Bateman is fine if a bit wanting in having the acting chops to really pull the character off to a level that would allow me to invest in him ala a Walter White for example. However, it's more than made up for by Linney who just carries the thing on her shoulders. Love her to tears in everything she's in. (Seriously, if you never watched "The Big C" on Showtime...go now. You'll be happy.:) )

 

Everything that happened with Del blew me away at the end. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally agree about Linney. She's really flawless. I suspect that the sparks of marital friction in the scenes that she and Bateman share are some of Bateman's best because he's opposite her. And some of those arguments were devastatingly authentic. 

 

Oh, and on episode 8. It was curious, right? Why 8? I enjoyed that one a lot. Many series would have sprinkled that backstory into multiple episodes. It was a daring move to hold off that long. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed the first season of this series.  Not All Time Great, tell everyone they have to watch it territory, but very good.

 

I loved episode 8, though it sure made me wonder how Marty's chatty business partner could see the last money launderer get his eyes cut out and still later steal from the drug cartel.  Other than that I thought the writing was very good, I'll definitely check out the next season.  And yeah, Linney is outstanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot we had a dedicated thread for this show.  LOVED season 2.  I put some additional thoughts in the Netflix thread. 

 

 

Carlos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2018 at 7:52 AM, Carlucci said:

Forgot we had a dedicated thread for this show.  LOVED season 2.  I put some additional thoughts in the Netflix thread. 

 

 

Carlos.

I heard negative things from some people about S2.  And now you have to go and say I should still give it a go.  Damn it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

I heard negative things from some people about S2.  And now you have to go and say I should still give it a go.  Damn it.

 

Hard to see why anyone who liked season 1 would beef about S2.  It's more of the same, even ramped up a bit. The daughter is way more  annoying, and, as in S1, there are some unrealistic plot points, but the pacing is better.

 

Carlos. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Carlucci said:

 

Hard to see why anyone who liked season 1 would beef about S2.  It's more of the same, even ramped up a bit. The daughter is way more  annoying, and, as in S1, there are some unrealistic plot points, but the pacing is better.

 

Carlos. 

 

 

You know, the only thing I got out of her was that it was just the same thing.  Which, in and of itself isn't bad, but she framed it as bad so my only impression, up until now, was negative.

 

This show is not in the same league as breaking bad.  But it does have a lot of its charm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, foogledricks said:

 

You know, the only thing I got out of her was that it was just the same thing.  Which, in and of itself isn't bad, but she framed it as bad so my only impression, up until now, was negative.

 

This show is not in the same league as breaking bad.  But it does have a lot of its charm.

 

You're right, it's not in the same league, but it's definitely the same sport.  It's all about seeing them paint themselves  into inescapable corners, and then somehow finding a way out, only to have that lead to even more or a shitstorm to fight out of.  No show can do that as good as Breaking Bad.  

 

 

Carlos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Carlucci said:

No show can do that as good as Breaking Bad.

I was just going to say something similar. Same style but unfair to compare the quality with Breaking Bad. In my opinion very few shows, if any, can compare with Breaking Bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to get back to this but I want to rewatch S1 before I dive into S2. It's been long enough that I can't remember a lot of the plot nuance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×