LCVG
Angry the Clown

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

Still work to finish but Grand Avenue has opened up:

grand-avenue-09292017-2.jpg

grand-avenue-09292017-3.jpg

More below:

http://blogmickey.com/2017/09/breaking-grand-avenue-now-open-disneys-hollywood-studios/

It's nice. I'm not sure I get how the theming fits, but, yeah, it's nicely done (I like the show window decorations. Shame there are no real stores outside of the Baseline Tap House).

So I just got back from the MS Ignite conference in Orlando, and the attendee party was to book off both Universal parks from 7:30-midnight for conference badge holders (about 27000 people).  Aside from the access to rides, there was free food and drinks everywhere, which was really awesome.  I've been to a lot of tradeshows etc, and this is probably the best evening event I've been to.  Didn't get a chance to do everything, but I was with a colleague who wanted to see the good stuff.  We saw everyone heading towards IoA to start with, so we went left to Studios.  Here's the highlights:

• Transformers (5 min wait)-Not terrible, but Spider-Man is better
  • Revenge of the Mummy (4 min wait)-Still awesome-love the ending, but theme is showing its age.
  • The Simpsons (8 min wait)-Theming outside/inside is great, ride is OK for a repurposed BTTF.
  • MIB (7 min wait)-The first time I'd actually been through the front door of the ride and seen the elevator.  Still one of my favourite shooting rides.  Push the red button for 100k points.
  • HP Gringotts (15 min wait)-First time seeing Diagon Alley, and it's actually pretty easy to miss.  Didn't spend a whole lot of time wandering around, but I can see how you could kill a bunch of time just checking out the sights in the area.  Ride was decent, but screens looked a little low-res honestly.  Not super convincing.  The queue etc is really impressive though. Also, the hogwarts express was down, so had to walk to IoA.
  • HP Forbidden Journey (30 min wait)-the longest line we hit of the night, but time to actually finish a beer in line.  Still impressive, and the screen effects are better than on Gringotts.
  • Spider-Man (2 min wait)-The best dark ride ever.  Not only is the the theme better than TF, but the 3d effects work better.  Also, there are more practical elements. 
  • Hulk (0 min wait)-This was actually just closing as we got on the last train of the night.  Seems about the same as I remember, and a decently long launch coaster, but nothing super special about it.  They installed metal detectors on it though, so it REALLY means nothing in your pockets (even sealed pockets). 

If we'd had more time, we would probably have hit Kong and Jurassic Park, but I'd say that's pretty good for a few hours at the parks.  I don't know whether T2 was even running that night (I don't think ALL the attractions were open), but even then, it's a long-ish show, and when you have limited time, it's a case of "hit the highlights". 

I heard about the event that booked both parks. Didn’t know what it was though. Sounds like it would have been a ton of fun!

Sounds like you got a lot done in a few hours. Spidey really is a great ride. That ride is getting close to 20 years old and hasn’t even started to show it’s age. It’s funny how the truly great rides seem timeless.

Transformers is basically the same ride and will probably start to feel old in 10 years. 

The only real problem with the event was that it could have been even longer.  I could probably have killed another 2-3 hours there, but something that scale could not have been cheap. 

They did go back and re-do the video for spidey in HD a few years back, but that's about all the changes I can think of. 

Disney have finally confirmed the rumour that the Guardians of the Galaxy attraction at EPCOT will indeed be a rollercoaster. Blog Mickey has a permit application image and as expected the Energy Pavilion would act at the pre-show/queue and load area, with the ride itself being housed in another building (like Rock N'Rollercoaster).

http://blogmickey.com/2017/10/guardians-galaxy-attraction-epcot-roller-coaster/

Have any of you been listening to the Defunctland Podcast? The last few episodes have been an interview with imagineer and puppeteer Terri Hardin and they've been hugely entertaining covering everything from Jim Henson/Muppetvision, Captain EO and other things. There's also a bonus episode on Youtube where she provides an audio commentary for Captain EO. 

I listened to the first part of the podcast, and have the others queued up.  I liked the bits about working with Jim Henson-although I can't imagine as a puppeteer at that point saying to to an offer to work with him. 

It’s been possible to see a glimpse, from a distance, of the rock work at Disneyland’s Star Wars land coming along in Fresh Baked videos, but Rian Johnson’s gone and provided the best view yet.

On 10/20/2017 at 2:04 PM, Angry the Clown said:

Is it weird that it is turning into an NBA thing after another NBA thing failed over at Universal Citywalk? It’s not really a brand with appeal to international guests. 

Basketball is the fastest growing sport in Europe.

That doesn’t necessarily mean it has a huge base. But if you look at how competitive European teams have gotten in the Olympics I can see it. 

Bums me out to see DisneyQuest like that.  I spent a decent amount of time there between 1996 and 2002, and periodically visited it since.  What are they doing with that space again?