LCVG
Angry the Clown

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

Not a huge fan of plastic clutter and the variety of novelty park popcorn buckets that have come and gone in the past (the AT-AT one was ridiculous), but this.... THIS....

Yeah I would buy that. 

Taschen, with whom I have spent more money on books than I care to mention, are releasing a book about Disneyland in a few weeks.

disneyland_ju_gb_3d_01172_1806131647_id_

disneyland_ju_gb_open_0094_0095_01172_18

disneyland_ju_gb_open_0158_0159_01172_18

This bountiful visual history draws on Disney’s vast historical collections, private archives, and the golden age of photojournalism to provide unique access to the concept, development, launch, and enjoyment of this sun-drenched oasis of fun and fantasy. Disneyland documents Walt’s earliest inspirations and ideas; the park’s extraordinary feats of design and engineering; its grand opening; each of its immersive “lands” from Main Street, U.S.A., to Tomorrowland; and the park's evolution through the six decades since it opened. It is a treasure trove of Disney original documentation and expertise, with award-winning writer Chris Nichols drawing on his extensive knowledge of both Disneyland and Southern California history to reveal the fascinating tale of “the happiest place on Earth.”

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/popculture/all/01172/facts.walt_disneys_disneyland.htm

It's one of their more generously priced publications. 

Taschen are enjoying a nice run of Disney projects lately. Their Walt Disney Archives, like most of their XXL books, is well worth the expense. Coming in a couple of months is their hefty Ultimate History of Mickey Mouse.

disney_mickey_mouse_xl_gb_3d_01148_18052

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/film/all/01148/facts.walt_disneys_mickey_mouse_the_ultimate_history.htm

Think I am going to plan a trip to Anaheim in 2020, around May which if I time for weekday visits things might not be too horrendous around Star Wars land. Would be nice to go next year, less so for Star Wars but mostly because Haunted Mansion turns 50 next summer, but Star Wars madness will keep me away. 

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Not a huge fan of plastic clutter and the variety of novelty park popcorn buckets that have come and gone in the past (the AT-AT one was ridiculous), but this.... THIS....

Yeah I would buy that. 

They should fill it with coloured popcorn so it looks a bit more like the bugs he’s filled with. 

• Like 1

Some TRON news for Florida:

Disney has just released timelines for the closures of the Walt Disney World Railroad and Tomorrowland Speedway in connection to TRON roller coaster construction.

Starting in December 2018, the Walt Disney World Railroad will pause its grand-circle tour of the Magic Kingdom and take up residence in the Main Street Station. This will give guests a chance to see the railroad via up-close looks and one-of-a-kind photo opportunities. Disney didn’t say when the Walt Disney World Railroad will resume service.

Also, the Tomorrowland Speedway will close for a portion of 2019 as the attraction’s track is adjusted to make way for a wider walkway back to the TRON roller coaster. It will re-open in the Summer of 2019 without a theme change.

It'd be crazy if Speedway re-opens and hasn't been converted to electric vehicles. Surely that has to happen by the 50th anniversary?

On 8/4/2018 at 9:29 AM, Angry the Clown said:

Not sure how he got close enough to capture that image of the spaceship again, even with a quality telephoto lens to cover the distance I can't quite picture where he'd be getting such a good angle from.

You can get this view from Toy Story Land. Here is another shot from WDWMagic from just a bit further back. 

Star-Wars-Land_Full_33225.jpg?width=800&

I noticed that in one of Tim Tracker’s latest videos. Interesting it is so visible. The east entrances at both parks might be where the most obvious differences are as you’d think there would be more separating Toy Story from Star Wars at the studios. I’m sure they will plant some tress soon enough at least, but it looks like it could nevertheless deviate from the artwork and model in Florida.

Apparently the cast members tell guests that it is Andy’s new toy set which he’s setting up. 

On 8/13/2018 at 6:53 AM, Angry the Clown said:

Halloween stuff already going up on display in and around the Florida parks. Just crazy. Seems earlier and earlier every year now.

What I find crazy is that a ticket to Not So Scary now costs more than a day there. 

I’d be really frustrated holidaying there in August and seeing all the Halloween stuff (August is when I’d always be there as a kid as that’s the main school holiday month in the UK). May is definitely the time of year I think I would look to make my visit to Florida in future as it seems good weather wise, Epcot gets Flower and Garden...etc so eyeing time between end of spring break and memorial day weekend seems sensible.

I was researching a potential 2020 trip to California and the only thing I think I’d need to be wary of in May there is booking around Grad Nights at Disneyland which sound like a nightmare to get caught up in (they seem to mostly land on Fridays and Saturdays). I won’t know 2020 Grad Night dates until around june next year as that’s when they seem to announce the calendar, but if it works out and I can afford it I think it would be a pleasant time to be there. I suspect I’d just miss the opening of DCA’s Marvel attractions though.

It’s never going to be cheap for me to get to California, especially since I will never fly that many hours in economy again like I have in the past. My thought is to try and get out there for a week, spending a few days revisiting LA and then the rest in Anaheim. Since it’d be Disneyland’s 65th year I’d quite like to grin and bear the crazy price of the Disneyland Hotel for the fun and historical value of it too but we’ll see. I’d like to be in Anaheim long enough for a day at DCA and two at Disneyland itself. I’d be quite tempted to splash out on the Walt’s footsteps tour and VIP tour at Universal too as I’ve never done those before.

So yeah, 2020 California then then 3-5yrs later for Florida I guess as that’s going to be super expensive.

Been watching a lot of Youtube videos of people who have done solo trips, especially to the Florida parks, and those are quite fascinating. The thought of Disneyland solo is no issue to me whatsoever, but Disney World always seems like such an inherently family/group based place to be but a lot of solo visit vlogs I’ve been watching are starting to convince me that there are a lot of upsides (single rider lines for the win!).

So it looks like the MS ignite conference is booking out both Universal parks again for their attendee party, so I'll likely be able to hit most of the big attractions at IoA and Studios again.  Hopefully the HP Train is up this year, and not sure if it's worth doing F&F/Kong at all, but if they're available, free, and probably mostly walk on, why not?  Last year was pretty insane with the longest wait of the night being the 15 minutes in line for HP at IoA.  Also staying at the Aventura near the parks, so we'll see how that is.  We did Cabana Bay last year, which is fine, but pretty wide/sprawling, so lots of walking to get where you needed to go. 

• Like 1

Very nice that you'll be at the Aventura. Tim Tracker's press day video from there should be going online later today. Really interested to see how it has turned out.

Kong looks worth doing for sure. F&F... ehhhhh. I mean if you can get on it quickly, why not, but otherwise it truly does look abysmal. 

F&F feels just like Disaster. Only worth going on just because it’s there and to say you’ve done it, and only if the wait is short. 

Well, last time they did this we managed to do Transformers, Mummy, Simpsons, MIB, Gringotts, Forbidden Journey, Spider-Man, and the Hulk (I think that's all) in under 4 hours, including beer stops along the way.  Kong was open then, but I think it had a 70 min wait at one point.  They were funneling people towards IoA when we got there, so we broke off and headed right first, which seemed like a good move.  Plan was to take the HP train across, but that was down, so we ended up taking the service tunnel that they had open instead.  Definitely a unique experience that you'd probably only get with a private event or super expensive VIP tour. 

Also, not a major park addition, but the local CF park in Toronto is adding a B&M dive coaster next year:

https://youtu.be/xKsvAVsyNkM

Looks pretty awesome-glad to see some investment finally after a few years of "new flat spinny ride"

Kong is worth doing, and my second favorite ride there right now (I still love Hulk).  Not worth an hour, but 20-30 min sounds right.

HP train ride is different in each direction, FYI.  Have fun!

Very sad to read confirmation that the pilot involved in a fatal light aircraft crash on Monday was Disney Imagineer Scott Watson. He had a lengthy career within the R&D department.

Watson was described as the quintessential imagineer: someone who was both creative and technically savvy. Those who worked with him said he left his mark on scores of Disney’s theme park attractions, from Indiana Jones to Soarin’ Over The World to the upcoming Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge.

“He had a million ideas and was just a brilliant person to be around,” said Phil Lelyveld, who worked on projects with Watson over his 10-year tenure at Disney and now runs the Immersive Media Program at the USC’s Entertainment Technology Center, a think tank within the school of Cinematic Arts. “He came up with a number of novel ideas for the theme parks and other things in Disney, but he also had the technical skills to prototype them.”

The 55-year-old executive held 45 patents that spanned a range of innovation, from a new approach to theme park ride vehicles to an apparatus for rendering 3D computer-generated graphics in real time, to a system for delivering an enhanced interactive TV broadcast, in which the video broadcast to one screen is enhanced by a simultaneous content delivered to a second device.

“I remember Scott pitching me the concept of live interactive television, showing me a demo and jokingly referring to it as ESPN ‘The Ocho,'” Amazon Studios COO Albert Cheng recalled on Facebook of his time as digital media head at Disney’s ABC Television Group.

Watson was intimately involved in the development of Aladdin’s Magic Carpet Ride, an early virtual reality trial at DisneyQuest in Orlando, Florida.  The trial, which lasted from July 1994 through September 1995, yielded key findings about how to tell stories in virtual reality, according to an account in the VR newsletter Upload.

One former Disney Imagineer, Mike Peterson, recalled how Watson stayed cool under pressure in one anecdote he shared on Facebook about the Aladdin VR attraction.

“I remember the night before opening, when he had a serious bug to fix, and he took a break to play a video game. Some managers would have screamed … ‘Get back to work! We have an opening tomorrow!’ Fortunately, our manager knew enough to leave us alone to concentrate on our projects,” Peterson wrote. “After the break had cleared his mind, he fixed the bug and the show opened on time. He was a truly unique and amazing person, who died doing what he loved.”

Digital 360 Ventures Principal and former Sony Pictures executive Mitch Singer, who knew Watson from industry standards work, recalled his love of Burning Man festival.

“He was adventurous and really enjoyed life.  Funny always laughing.  And the more you learned about him, the more you realized that he was the brains behind a lot of Disney projects,” Singer told Deadline. “I had an idea once and I was filing a patent with Sony and the patent counsel called me and said, ‘Do you know Scott Watson?’ I said, ‘Yes.’  He filed the same idea a few years ago.”

Disney didn’t respond to Deadline’s request for a comment about its long-time executive. However, Disney Imagineering President Bob Weis issued in a statement to ABC News mourning his loss.

“The Walt Disney Company is stunned and saddened by the loss of our long-time friend and colleague, Scott Watson,” Weis said. “Those of us who worked with Scott during his nearly 30-year career at Disney knew him as a humble genius who made making magic look easy. Our hearts are with his family during this difficult time.”

https://deadline.com/2018/08/disney-imagineering-cto-scott-watson-remembered-as-humble-genius-1202445437/