LCVG
Angry the Clown

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

Len Testa has tweeted a Disney Patent that appears to be for an AR Lightsaber experience/attraction, as well as a way to record it. 

I had heard they were working on a way to make the lightsabers more real awhile ago, and AR was certainly one of the options. If they actually go ahead with this, I wonder if they’ll use the AR just for the lightsabers, or if they will augment the environment similar to the Halo thing Microsoft showed off a few years ago. 

That's interesting.

I know it's not augmented reality, but I am quite impressed with the in park games Tim Tracker has been showing at the Magic Kingdom recently that require scanning your magic band to trigger audio and animatronic objects, and there's also a magic game where you use your magic bands and have character cards that have abilities (there's a very funny character interaction with the Trackers when they played the magic game once they hit Frontierland). 

On 14/05/2018 at 5:19 PM, Graeme said:

The last 2 episodes of Defuntland are really quite something special. He’s really stepped up his game in season 2.

Been listening to the podcast interview he did with Tim Delaney this afternoon which is fantastic.

Galaxy’s Edge is officially opening Summer 2019 at Disneyland and Fall 2019 at Hollywood Studios. No specific date yet of course. 

Yes, it will be very interesting, especially at DL where things are so cramped and there is such a large annual pass holder population. The New Orleans Square/Adventureland/Frontierland area is already an absolute nightmare on busy days. 

I’m not surprised that people are speculating on many measures that Disney may take to limit access for awhile, especially to pass holders.

They have been doing a fair bit of work trying to open up the pathways and moving stroller parking. Hopefully it will help. They really need to fix the queue for Pirates though. 

Hopefully they have a number of plans in place, and will be willing to react quickly to whatever situations arise. They did a pretty good job with Pandora from most accounts, but DL is a completely different animal than WDW. 

My wife has been talking about possibly taking our daughter on her first Disney trip next summer. So maybe I’d see it first hand. 

There was a Galaxy's Edge panel tonight at Hollywood Studios. Nothing earth shattering was revealed, but there was some cool stuff.

These are the AT-ATs inside the Battle Escape attraction. They look incredible!

This is a full size ship that you will enter during the Battle Escape attraction. I also forgot that this ride has a trackless ride vehicle, which is exciting.

efk435873-1200x675.jpg

New concept art.

Other details revealed

- The village on Batuu we are visiting is called the Black Spire Outpost

- Nien Nunb will be making an appearance

- There will be a Tooka Loth Cat character

- There will be some sort of creature shop in the market. Probably something like the banshees in Pandora.

Full panel video from ITM:

What's crazy about the AT-AT room is how briefly guests will probably be in there. Makes you wonder just how detailed the rest of the ride will be. I'm intrigued again, like the Falcon ride, by the concept of guests boarding a large physical ship.

Nien Numb continuing to get more attention than Billy Dee Williams since the franchise revival continues to blow my mind. 

Healthy attendance rise at WDW in 2017:

Magic Kingdom, which had 20.5 million visitors, remained the most-visited theme park in the world. Disney's Animal Kingdom jumped 15.3 percent with 12.5 million visitors. Epcot wasn't far behind with 12.2 million visitors, a 4.2 percent increase. Disney's Hollywood Studios was the only Disney World park to see a decline; attendance dipped 0.5 percent to 10.7 million.

Universal and Islands of Adventure each had a 2% increase.

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Healthy attendance rise at WDW in 2017:

Universal and Islands of Adventure each had a 2% increase.

I wonder how much it'll increase in 2019 - they are already pretty crowded even in the slower parts of the year.

10 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

What's crazy about the AT-AT room is how briefly guests will probably be in there.

I’ve always wanted to be on a Haunted Mansion “break down” in front of the Ballroom scene. I feel like the AT-AT room will be the same. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AlbertA said:

I wonder how much it'll increase in 2019 - they are already pretty crowded even in the slower parts of the year.

It'll be interesting. Really all eyes are on Disneyland and Hollywod Studios to see how they cope with the Galaxy's Edge monster that'll be descending upon both resorts and how the hotels handle capacity. If we put Animal Kingdom's 15% rise primarily down to Pandora, which continues to command huge wait times one year on (130mins for Flight of Passage and 95mins for Navi River Journey on the app as I sit here writing this), then Star Wars is going to be even more ridiculous, with huge crowds stretching well into 2021 when the WDW 50th Anniversary Celebrations kick in too. 

Think of what else is coming in that timeframe as well. Toy Story Land opens next month. Mickey & Minnie opens next summer, Tron, Ratatouille and Guardians of the Galaxy will be open before the 50th. At the very least those attractions should help take the crowds off the streets a little (which is not a luxury Disneyland is going to have), but nevertheless Disney World is sure to see record breaking attendance between 2019 and the end of 2021 (probably even 2022 if they choose not to begin the Anniversary celebrations until October of 21 and stretch them into the following year). When you think about it it's easy to see why Universal think building a whole new park is going to be their best response to what Disney have coming over the next five years.

*edit* Almost forgot that the Star Wars hotel will probably be ready for the 50th Anniversary too. :ArnoldWut:

Getting a better sense of scale of the 2nd building for Guardians of the Galaxy behind Universe of Energy now that more of it has gone vertical:

Disney announced Disneyland Passholder blackout dates for the beginning of the Summer 2019 season, giving a hint not only of when next summer Galaxy's Edge is most likely to open in Anaheim, but also how they will begin to tackle crowds.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/

SoCal Select and General SoCal Annual Passports will be blocked entirely for June 2019, while Fridays through Sundays in June and then the whole final week or June are blocked for Deluxe Passport Holders (with a shift granted access to DCA during those days). The calendar currently shows no blocks for Signature Passport Holders next June (that's the $1000 tier which is supposed to grant access "most" days of the year). The top $1150 Signature Plus tier, offering 365day access is also fine of course. I could imagine some blocks for regular Deluxe Passport Holders coming in when the calendars for July and August go up.

So signs seem to suggest they might be aiming for late June opening of the land in California. 

They apparently set all this stuff out a year in advance for passholders, so it'll be a while before we know how they will similarly tackle WDW access, but Disney World only has the Platinum Pass doesn't it? (a very reasonable $950 for all park access with no block out days). Maybe they won't even change that as Anaheim being more of a local park presumably has way, way more annual passholders than WDW. That begs the question what alternative measures they may adopt for crowd control at Hollywood Studios.

The new Disney Dish released yesterday (but recorded before the blackout announcement) suggested that the Indy Stunt show at DHS will go dark for awhile after Galaxy’s Edge opens and the seating there will be used as a holding/waiting space for people, with entertainment on the Indy stage to help those waiting pass the time. 

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

They apparently set all this stuff out a year in advance for passholders, so it'll be a while before we know how they will similarly tackle WDW access, but Disney World only has the Platinum Pass doesn't it? (a very reasonable $950 for all park access with no block out days).

WDW has other annual pass options for Florida residents and DVC members which do have blackouts (they even have a pass that is only for Epcot after 4PM). WDW is quite different than DL though as their membership is not nearly as high as WDW and I don’t think they worry quite as much about residents descending on the park whenever something new opens. 

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/ticket-descriptions.htm#annualpassticket

That at also means though that they are dealing with more guests that are there on a “once in a lifetime” vacation that could be “ruined” by poor management. 

Rest assured though, they will use the lessons learned from DL, Pandora, and even Harry Potter to help manage it all. 

And they will probably still make mistakes. 

8 minutes ago, Graeme said:

The new Disney Dish released yesterday (but recorded before the blackout announcement) suggested that the Indy Stunt show at DHS will go dark for awhile after Galaxy’s Edge opens and the seating there will be used as a holding/waiting space for people, with entertainment on the Indy stage to help those waiting pass the time. 

Not listened to the episode yet, but that would surely mean time restricted access for people in Galaxy's Edge in order to keep a flow moving, wouldn't it? How the hell would they police such a thing, and then how would you exit Indy and get over to the gate for G.A and be admitted by cast members who know you'd been waiting in the amphitheatre, and how would flow between the Grand Avenue gate to Star Wars be coordinated with the Toy Story Land gate to Star Wars? 

I can’t even imagine what a kid going to DL or WDW for the first time is going to think seeing those AT-ATs or walking into the Millennium Falcon. I remember the first time I went to DL, entering into the Pirate boat scene in Pirates with the cannons going off, the graveyard scene in mansion, the queue with the hanging ship in Space Mountain and seeing 3PO and R2 on the Star Tours ship. All of these things completely blew my mind and just seemed impossible to be real. Seeing those AT-ATs would have definitely fryed something in my brain. 

23 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I can’t even imagine what a kid going to DL or WDW for the first time is going to think seeing those AT-ATs or walking into the Millennium Falcon. I remember the first time I went to DL, entering into the Pirate boat scene in Pirates with the cannons going off, the graveyard scene in mansion, the queue with the hanging ship in Space Mountain and seeing 3PO and R2 on the Star Tours ship. All of these things completely blew my mind and just seemed impossible to be real. Seeing those AT-ATs would have definitely fryed something in my brain. 

Yeah but that was pre-internet...

Kids are not as easily amused any more... I bet they would be more blown away if they saw the Pen Pineapple Apple Pen guy performing live

10 hours ago, Graeme said:

I lost my mind when I first saw the AT-AT outside Star Tours looming in the distance at MGM Studios when I was a kid, and even when I was up close in the queue and realised it was half a facade I was no less awestruck. Thinking back to that makes me wonder about how much Galaxy's Edge media I want to consume online once it's operational given that it's going to be at least a couple of years after it opens before I will get to experience it all for myself, but I know it'll be near impossible to avoid this day in age. There's surely still much to be said for seeing and experiencing things in person vs viewing videos and photos captured by other people of course, but those pre-internet days where I could be out in Florida and see things at every turn that I had not seen before was really something special. It was sensory overload in those days. 

Disney used to be, and to an extent still are, so good at the big reveal, recognising the importance of scale and sight lines. I don't think any other parks on the planet come close. Pirates is a great example I agree. The sheer scale of that room when you have the ship on your left firing at the town on the opposite side was dazzling, and I was no less thrilled riding it in my twenties when I was at Disneyland too. I'd hope, as a hurtle towards my forties now, that I'd be no less excited whenever I get to go back (I've no idea how grumpy all the movie references shoehorned into the ride will make me :) ). 

I hope Disney have particular plans for crowd control around the life sized Milennium Falcon they're putting into Galaxy's Edge because that's got to serve traffic flow to and from the ride itself while everyone, young and old, scrambles for a photo op beside the ship itself. That's going to be something special to see I'm sure.

8 hours ago, Graeme said:

The constant line of kids waiting to ride Peter Pans Flight would say that isn’t true. 

You'd think they'd at least make some effects and lighting enhancements to the US versions as seen in Tokyo and other overseas parks given the ride's endless popularity. 

They did upgrade Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland at DL a number of years ago. I think they were going to do the others, but haven’t yet. I guess they’re busy with something else...

Nothing at WDW though if I recall correctly. Maybe the imagineers question the need to upgrade the rides when they’re probably just going to rip them out for a meet and greet anyway. 

6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'd hope, as a hurtle towards my forties now, that I'd be no less excited whenever I get to go back (I've no idea how grumpy all the movie references shoehorned into the ride will make me :) ).

The problem for me, getting older, is that I can see the seams a little easier. I enter that room or the graveyard now, and I notice the ceiling and the lighting and the Pirates seem a little less lifelike. When I was a kid it all felt a little more real. I still get a sense of wonder, just not in the same way. 

I actually get a bit more excited, seeing behind the scenes stuff sometimes. I was evacuated from Everest once, and got to walk through the inside. That mountain is a big hollow structure with these black “tubes” going through it, which is the track. It was fascinating, and I wish I could have spent some more time in there. 

I’d love to do one of those behind the scenes tours sometime. 

• Like 1