LCVG
Angry the Clown

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

On 6/9/2018 at 12:01 AM, Angry the Clown said:

Was reading that they Davy Jones waterfall sequence on Disneyland Pirates has now gone which is nice. Did they do the same at WDW after the redhead refurb?

It looks like it’s still there at WDW. 

The scene the replaced it at DL, wasn’t added at WDW, so that’s probably why it’s still there. I’m personally in favour of removing anything relating to the movies. 

Big expansion announced for Tokyo a few days ago. Adding a new port at DisneySea, with 3 themed areas (Frozen, Tangled, and Peter Pan), which will include 4 attractions and 3 restaurants. A new Hotel is also being built. This is in addition to the Beauty and the Beast Themed area currently being built at TDL and Soarin at DisneySea. Should be interesting to see how this develops. It seems a bit odd to me to have a classic Disney character such as Peter Pan in DisneySea. 

I think it would be kind cool if they had a sort of back door entrance (like at Epcot and DCA) for hotel guests to use, but that could also in a way, connect the new land with Fantasyland 

13 hours ago, Graeme said:

It looks like it’s still there at WDW. 

The scene the replaced it at DL, wasn’t added at WDW, so that’s probably why it’s still there. I’m personally in favour of removing anything relating to the movies. 

Yeah. If pushed, though I'd sooner no references at all, I'd say that I don't mind hiding Jack subtly in there for people to find, but having Barbosa there and him calling for Jack by name I don't like. Speaking of the Barbosa bit... I was watching DL ride throughs and it sounds like the main theme from the movie's score has been removed, or made less obvious, during the ship scene. Can't be 100% sure but it seems far less prominent than it was in earlier POV's, almost like it is the same music cue but with the backing left and the main theme stem removed. 

8 hours ago, Graeme said:

Big expansion announced for Tokyo a few days ago. Adding a new port at DisneySea, with 3 themed areas (Frozen, Tangled, and Peter Pan), which will include 4 attractions and 3 restaurants. A new Hotel is also being built. This is in addition to the Beauty and the Beast Themed area currently being built at TDL and Soarin at DisneySea. Should be interesting to see how this develops. It seems a bit odd to me to have a classic Disney character such as Peter Pan in DisneySea. 

I think it would be kind cool if they had a sort of back door entrance (like at Epcot and DCA) for hotel guests to use, but that could also in a way, connect the new land with Fantasyland 

Nice to see Tangled getting some love. Not really sure how those three IP's will fit into TDS but I suppose it depends on how the land is themed.

Buhh. I really want to go to Tokyo Disney.

On 6/6/2018 at 2:04 AM, Graeme said:

Speaking of upgrades, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey in Orlando received a surprise upgrade to 4K projectors. It is the last of the 3 Forbidden Journey rides to receive it. 

https://orlandoinformer.com/blog/harry-potter-forbidden-journey-upgrade/

From the link:

Although the human eye really can’t perceive any difference past 24 fps

Amazing how that just keeps proliferating.

https://insidethemagic.net/2018/06/inside-out-emotional-whirlwhind-attraction-announced-for-pixar-pier-at-disneyland-resort/

Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind was announced for Pixar Pier. Not a surprise at all as it was shown in the concept art. Looks like it will just be a reskin of the existing ride from A Bugs Land. 

The Pier and Toy Story open soon. Expecting a big sigh of Meh from the fan base. 

Yeah I perked up in my seat when I saw tweets about an Inside Out ride and then I went to the blog and saw that it is just Flik’s Flyers (and with Bug’s Land being torn down I suspect it will literally be the same attraction re-skinned the moved over to the pier).

The paint work for the pier looks nice and fresh but the whole thing, in terms of shop/stall facades...etc has been designed so it can easily be re-skinned again in future (should they wish too) and it shows.

I think Toy Story Land will serve its purpose, but as I’ve said, its most popular attraction is going to be the one the park has had for a decade already. For what the whole area has supposedly cost, it will have shockingly little to show for itself which is the big tragedy. Slinky takes up so much real estate. It’s weird that the Andy’s Lunchbox quick serve is going to have alcohol when everything else there is themed to be like kids lunchbox food. 😆

I really feel Toy Story Land should have been a Pixar Land, retaining Midway Mania to represent Toy Story, and having other attractions for several of the other movies. They could have carried over the style of the soon to close Pixar Place street to retain a studio vibe (since it was based a little on the actual architecture of Pixar's HQ), which would have been thematically consistent because... y'know.... Disney's Hollywood STUDIOS..... Ah well...

Skyliner progress really seems to be moving swiftly. I think we'll definitely see them moving before the end of the year, even if it's just for early tests. 

My God... all that real estate that Slinky swallows up. I know I've voiced concern about it before but in the overhead promo video you really have to wonder... They could have two or three rides there.

The entrance to the land is apparently flanked by two soundstage buildings and a DVC Kiosk because... immersion? :sadfleck:

My 2 year old daughters reaction to a video of the Slinky Dog coaster. 

“Wow, that’s so cooool!”

Startin em young

• Like 1

Awww. That's cute.

It has a height restriction it seems, and is supposedly a bit more thrilling that Seven Dwarves. I thought it looked a bit boring from videos personally. Turns out including the stoppage time for the launches it's roughly around 2 mins, so longer than most first thought (you do sit for quite a while at the second launch though).

WDWMagic breaks it down as follows:

• 48 seconds from station dispatch to brakes at the second launch
  • 50 seconds from the second launch brakes to the finale Wheezy animatronic brakes
  • 19 seconds from arriving at the Wheezy brakes to unload station

Which gives a total ride-time for Slinky Dog Dash of around 117 seconds, or just short of 2 minutes.

That'd chew up around 1600 people per hour if they have three Slinkys running. 

As down on it as I am, especially with Slink taking up so much space, I still feel that long term it is a section the studios park needs as every other ride in the park, including forthcoming Star Wars stuff, is going to be moderate to high intensity. DHS still needs a water ride though, damn it. 

I actually like the look of it at night time quite a bit:

I'm very surprised to read that there is next to no cover for guests in the land. The lunch box seating has no cover whatsoever, and there seems to be concern about lack of trees to help add some shade. I suspect this might be something Disney will have to rethink in future, but it seems like another factor that makes a night time visit more preferable.

DHS opened at 6am today. The current wait time for Slinky Dog Dash, as I write this, is 300 minutes and the line starts outside of the land in front of the Chinese Theatre. 

:Psycho:

WDWNT is reporting "how the Star Wars Hotel at Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be located and accessed" based on permits filed.

"There will be a pathway for guests to walk to a special entrance to the park. This entrance will put guests between the Millennium Falcon and Battle Escape attractions."

SFWMD_WDWNT_SWH_2.jpg

SWHotel-walkingpath.jpg

SFWMD_WDWNT_SWH_3.jpg

SWHotel-aerial.jpg

SFWMD_WDWNT_SWH_4.jpg

https://wdwnt.com/2018/07/breaking-star-wars-hotel-layout-and-connections-to-disneys-hollywood-studios-revealed/

https://www.insideuniversal.net/2018/07/comcast-confirms-plans-for-additional-theme-parks-for-universal-orlando/

Universal confirms, in an earnings call, they are “looking” at the possibility of a third theme park on their new parcel of land dubbed “Site B”. They have also filed name registrations for “Epic Universe” and “Fantastic Worlds”. 

There really ought to be a law against Universal referring to a place as Site B. I'm only going to be disappointed when it's not Jurassic Park.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iainl said:

There really ought to be a law against Universal referring to a place as Site B. I'm only going to be disappointed when it's not Jurassic Park.

I dare them to do another islands like layout and call it the five deaths. That’ll surely pack the crowds in.

It’s rumoured the JP visitors centre and boat ride will remain at the Islands of Adventure park, while the third park (odd they would call it site B internally) would play host to Jurassic World theming.

Not sure how he got close enough to capture that image of the spaceship again, even with a quality telephoto lens to cover the distance I can't quite picture where he'd be getting such a good angle from.