LCVG
Angry the Clown

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

The California version of The Mummy is not even in the same league as Florida. It’s an OK coaster in the dark, but the facade, queue, story, effects, and fun are all much worse. 

Its almost like comparing the different versions of Journey To Atlantis at Seaworld. 

Yeah I'm sad that if I get to ride either it's probably going to end up being the California version first.

I was watching this video just the other night funnily enough:

That Singapore version exterior... :banderas:

There’s been lots of going ons in Disneyland politics lately that I’ve just become aware of which is all quite interesting. 

So, it looks like the new Hotel at Downtown Disney is on hold right now, after they’ve already kicked out they businesses that were there and started gutting the buildings. 

The city deemed that this this new Hotel would not qualify for the tax incentive they offered for building a 4 diamond resort, because they moved the building from the original location. So now that project is on hold and a good portion of DTD sits unused. 

Then Disney wrote a letter to the city asking to be released from all tax incentive deals that they are currently tied to with the city, which the city voted to allow yesterday. Disney is trying to paint this as starting over fresh with the city, and creating a less hostile environment, but it could actually mean that they wouldn’t be held to a new bylaw which would force them to pay all employees a “livable” wage (which would not be set by them).

Disney has agreed with unions on a wage increase which would raise the minimum to $15 in January with an increase to $15.50 in 2020. The city bylaw would see wages raised to $18 by 2022. 

It will be interesting to see how this turns out, and what happens with the hotel project at DTD. Will that be cancelled? Will they try to move it again? Will they build shops on that land again?

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-disney-tax-agreements-20180822-story.html

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-anaheim-disney-tax-break-20180828-story.html

The most recent Disney Dish has an interesting conversation about focus testing for the Millennium Flacon attraction and how they may be having to rework the “game” aspects of the attraction so people who fail don’t feel like they wasted hours of their lives, so those who know what they are doing aren’t getting mad at other guests who don’t know, and so those who don’t speak the same language are still able to enjoy the attraction together. 

Also, for those who enjoy Defunctland, there is a good interview with Kevin talking about the series, his book, and other theme park things with Nicks ERT on Seasonpass Podcast. 

http://seasonpasspodcast.libsyn.com/nicks-ert-47-defunctland-w-kevin-perjurer

Pandora has Coke products. The other difference is that the humans in Avatar are from earth, so chicken and beef and rice exist in that world. 

For Star Wars I guess Chicken and Beef don’t exist, so would they give dishes a Star Warsy sounding name, and then just describe it as Chicken and Beef in the description? Or will they come up with a Star Warsy name for chicken the sounds enough like chicken to identify it? Will they come up with some backstory (which is never actually explained anywhere as usual) to explain why there are earth foods? Or maybe they will have paper menus as a courtesy to weary travelers explaining what everything is in their foreign tongues?

Whatever it is, I bet operations changes it within a month and just has menus that make it easy to order to keep the lines moving. 

Bantha Burgers

Taun Taun Legs

Jawa Juice

Fried Ackbar

Here’s a thought. What if the Disney Parks app could act as a Google Translate where you could highlight Star Wars alien language text and in your cameraphone and the app would translate it? I guess the big reason they wouldn’t do that is you can’t be sure everyone has a smartphone or indeed the app.

I thought of that too, would be pretty cool actually, but they would have to have an alternative for those without phones or an internet connection. 

I also wonder if there are legal regards to revealing what a food item actually contains. If you just advertise and Boutna Burger, someone could be surprised it’s pork and complain. 

I’m sure it will just be fun names with real descriptions below it. And if it isn’t, like I said, operations will be sure to change it quickly. 

Reminds me of this though:

Bart(to the waiter while at the restaurant) I'll have a Brain Burger with extra pus, please. 
Marge: Bart! 
Homer: Eyeball stew. 
Marge: Homer! We just got here and already I'm mortified beyond belief by your embarrassing behavior. 
Bart: I was just ordering a cheeseburger, Mom. They have violent names for everything here. 
Marge: Oh, I see. All right, hmm...I'll have the Baby Guts. 
Waiter: Lady, you disgust me. Ew. 
Lisa: Mom, that's veal. 
Marge: Oh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Here’s a thought. What if the Disney Parks app could act as a Google Translate where you could highlight Star Wars alien language text and in your cameraphone and the app would translate it? I guess the big reason they wouldn’t do that is you can’t be sure everyone has a smartphone or indeed the app.

I actually tried using the optical tranalation on both the MS and Google translator apps-neither could do Aurabesh.

• Like 1

So it looks like I might have a spare day in Orlando now.  The day before Ignite doesn't seem to have anything super useful scheduled this time around, so I'm trying to figure out what's worth doing.  Kind of spoiled though-I was just at WDW last year (so nothing really new), and the conference party is at Universal, so we get both parks for free.  Not sure what else might be worth checking out.  Anyone been to Volcano Bay? 

Haven’t been to Volcano Bay, but I’d like to. The waits probably won’t be too bad there now that summer is over. 

If you haven’t been to Kennedy Space Center, have transportation and a passing interest in the space program, I would recommend that too. 

Have never really felt Halloween Horror Nights shenanigans are for me, but I must admit I’m loving what I’ve seen of the Killer Clowns from Outer Space set up at Universal Orlando.

They also seem to have a classic Universal monsters thing this year so that’s nice to see. 

I’ve been to HHN at both Universal Hollywood and Orlando. I enjoyed both (Hollywood was actually one of my fave theme park experiences) but is not something I care much about outside of my visits. I kind of hate the coverage of it all on the theme park websites and podcasts. Part of it is that I’m kinda annoyed with Halloween to begin with, but also I know it’s all temporary and not something I’d experience. 

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/09/all-new-nighttime-fireworks-spectacular-to-replace-illuminations-reflections-of-earth-as-part-of-the-transformation-of-epcot/

Disney has announced a new nighttime show for Epcot to replace Illuminations: Reflections of Earth. Illuminations will run until the end of Summer 2019. 

Len Testa is reporting that Disney has registered a trademark for the name “Skymosphere”. 

Ugh. What’s with Disney and naming things lately?

The Taschen Disneyland book is wonderful as expected. Lots of photos and concept art I have not seen before. Primary focus is the park as it was in Walt’s time, but there is a section on the period aftet his passing with concept art for Star Tours, Indy...etc. Even Galaxy’s Edge artwork makes it in towards the back. 

Reports are that Rafiki’s Planet Watch and the Conservation Station at Animal Kingdom is closing permanently on Oct 21. It doesn’t appear that Disney has announced this officially yet. Blog Mickey reports that cast members have been informed of the closure. 

This part of the park has been rumoured to become a Zootopia themed area for awhile, so we’ll see if that happens. I think Zootopia works well as the area is tucked away, so may not conflict with the current theming of the park, has a message about living with “people” who are different as well as “you can do anything”, and of course has Animals. The fact that you take a train to get to that area of the park already, and the main character takes a train to Zootopia in the film is just icing on the cake. They could easily do a Harry Potter type train ride where you’re going through the different areas of Zootopia (Cold, desert, rainforest etc) and end up in the main city, which would be what they actually build. A ride where you go on a case with Judy and Nick through the city (Maybe something like Radiator Springs Racers?) could be a good addition. 

I do seem to recall that its location next the the safari might have been an issue for how much the could build this part up, and the noise it might create. 

On another topic, there was an episode of Disney Dish released exclusively for subscribers on Bandcamp. In it they discussed how the firing of James Gunn and the delay to Guardians 3 could affect the Guardians ride at Epcot quite significantly. 

The original plan was to film the sequences they needed for the ride during 3 days of filming of Guardians 3, similar to what they did for Mission Breakout during Guardians 2 filming. This would save a lot of cost and issues as they already have the cast and crew locked down, costumes and props would already be there, they’d have a soundstage and even sets. 

I think they said the story was supposed to involve some plot elements from the new film also. 

Now with Gunn fired, and the film delayed, if they want to finish the ride done on time, they have to get all the filming done themselves. They estimated the additional cost would be around 10million and they don’t know where that money is going to come from since it wasn’t in the budget. In addition, they might have to rework the story, and could possibly run into problems with some of the cast due to Gunn being fired. 

However there is also some speculation that Gunn could be rehired early next year. The head of Disney Studios (the films, not the park), Alan Horn is the one who technically fired him and he is supposed to be retiring in January. With him gone, Iger, Feige and the new studio head could potentially “change their mind” without undermining Horn. 

We’ll see where this all leads. 

45 minutes ago, Graeme said:

This part of the park has been rumoured to become a Zootopia themed area for awhile, so we’ll see if that happens. I think Zootopia works well as the area is tucked away, so may not conflict with the current theming of the park, has a message about living with “people” who are different as well as “you can do anything”, and of course has Animals. The fact that you take a train to get to that area of the park already, and the main character takes a train to Zootopia in the film is just icing on the cake. They could easily do a Harry Potter type train ride where you’re going through the different areas of Zootopia (Cold, desert, rainforest etc) and end up in the main city, which would be what they actually build. A ride where you go on a case with Judy and Nick through the city (Maybe something like Radiator Springs Racers?) could be a good addition. 

I’d lower expectations given everything else that’s in the works and how even so much of that has suffered budget cuts. 

Less expectations and more just wishful thinking. 

They could even more likely just be shutting it down to guest access, but continue to use it as an animal care facility.