LCVG
Angry the Clown

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

1st of October is quite significant to Disney for many reasons. Opening of WDW/Magic Kingdom, ground breaking date for EPCOT in 1979, opening date of EPCOT in 1982 and also the date the Caribbean Beach resort opened (in 88, so it turned 30 yesterday). In addition, on 1st of October Euro Disney changed its name to Disneyland Paris and The Walt Disney Family museum opened in San Francisco. 

https://dsnynewscast.com/2018/10/disney-officially-cancels-proposed-downtown-disney-hotel-at-disneyland-resort/

The 4 Diamond hotel for Downtown Disney  at Disneyland Resort has been officially cancelled. 

While I think this is overall a good thing for the resort...... but what a mess. Forcing out some major tenants from DTD only to cancel the project that forced them out a few months later. 

I hope they figure out what to do with this space ASAP. I don’t want to see this area sitting unused for too long. It’s not like an unbuilt hotel somewhere on WDW property. 

What I never understood is why they felt they needed a fourth hotel there in the first place. It wasn’t even going to be a value hotel but one similar in moderate/high tier pricing to the three already there. 

It's even higher end than the ones they have already. The city had actually identified a need for 4 Diamond resorts in the area and were giving incentives for them to be built, not just to Disney.

The clientele for these resorts are not so much park goers, but people coming to Anaheim for conventions. The convention center is right across the street from the back of DCA and is apparently the biggest convention center on the west coast. I read today that the starting rate was going to be something like $1200/night, and because there are no resorts like it in Anaheim, the people that want this type of accommodation are actually staying out of town.

With how busy the convention center is, and the high price of the rooms, I'm sure that was appealing to Disney, especially with incentives. They probably hoped that anybody staying there would also take their deep pockets to their parks and restaurants while they are there.

Is the Aneheim CC really bigger than LA?  I've only been to one show there (Build 2011), and I remember it being a pretty amazing location just for accessibility to stuff.  Being able to have family join for a couple of days afterwards to hit Disneyland was a nice bonus too.

1 hour ago, ChrisBardon said:

Is the Aneheim CC really bigger than LA? 

According to the numbers on Wikipedia, quite a bit bigger. Total enclosed space is 1.6M square feet to 720K. The exhibit hall alone in Anaheim is 813K. 

Falcon construction has started at Florida Galaxy’s Edge.

I wonder where they are with that in Anaheim. It’s interesting how both projects are doing certain things in a different order as, as far as I know, the rooftop ship still hasn’t been installed at Disneyland yet (it would be harder to see once it’s in, but a tiny bit of it should still be visible from the usual viewing spots people are visiting to document construction).

Think we might get a new official drone video from Disney of the Anaheim build by the end of the year. Hope so.

We didn’t post about the recent leak revealing a terrifying image of a skinless Stitch animatronic from the encounter attraction in Florida. Biggest hint yet that show is dead, dead, dead.

On 10/15/2018 at 10:24 AM, Angry the Clown said:

Falcon construction has started at Florida Galaxy’s Edge.

I wonder where they are with that in Anaheim. It’s interesting how both projects are doing certain things in a different order as, as far as I know, the rooftop ship still hasn’t been installed at Disneyland yet (it would be harder to see once it’s in, but a tiny bit of it should still be visible from the usual viewing spots people are visiting to document construction).

FYI, these photos from BlogMickey and the updated ones from Nearmap are from Disneyland, not WDW. 

Makes sense. Fresh Baked on youtube had one sent to them this past week, looking like it was from someone in the construction team and the Falcon in Disneyland is even further ahead with the cockpit finished...etc.

Galaxy’s Edge rides have names.

The Falcon attraction will be called Smuggler’s Run, while the dark ride is called Rise of the Resistance. Presumably like Pandora you won’t see the names displayed in the land itself.

John Williams is also writing music for Galaxy’s Edge (I guess both ambient and ride material?).

https://youtu.be/ryorxnoVWxQ

2 minutes of the new John Williams music with behind the scenes park and construction videos and LSO recording the track. It’s magnificent. 

Disney Parks Blog also has 2 teaser videos for the ride name announcements and more details on the Star Wars hotel. 

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/11/exciting-star-wars-galaxys-edge-news-from-destination-d/?CMP=SOC-DPFY19Q1wo1115181121180030C

• Like 1

That music piece is great. That must have been recorded a couple of weeks ago as he came over here to do a concert but fell ill so could not perform (it went ahead with another conductor). Nice to have the LSO record some Star Wars again.