LCVG
Angry the Clown

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

On 3/25/2019 at 12:42 PM, ChrisBardon said:

That's certainly a bunch of space being cleared out for something.  I think I just read something about a change to the JP ride in Hollywood, so it wouldn't surprise me if they went and did something new at IoA as well.  Still, if there's a new HP coaster opening this summer, and Hulk already, isn't another straight Launch Coaster a little redundant?  If it was something unique (like maybe something where the ride vehicles are those spheres from the movie, and it's a giant hamster ball bobsled track) that could be interesting. 

I THINK the plan is still to keep it all Jurassic Park in Orlando, with the ‘World’ re-themed ride in Hollywood opening in a couple of months. 

Lovely new Galaxy’s Edge construction photos (Florida version) from Blog Mickey:

There’s a difference in the rock colouring and texture of the land in Florida. It’s more vivid and alien, whereas in California it’s a bit more restrained so it can blend in behind Rivers of America.

Not sure if this was shown before, but here is the vehicle for the rise of the resistance ride

339naofusor21.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

It’s been at one of the show’s in the past, but I don’t think we’ve seen the final paint work on it until now. 

Paint finish looked cleaner in the promos from last year:

Actually I'm wrong. That is indeed the first time the vehicle has been on display to the public. It was a scale model that had previously been on show in the parks...etc in the past, so beyond that we'd only seen the vehicle in the promos from last November and EW magazine article were they had a pic of engineers working on it on the ride itself. 

The panel “Bringing Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge to Life at Disney Parks” will be live streamed on Saturday from 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. CST. 

There was a tease of what appeared to be an animatronic Hondo on the Star Wars show recently, looking forward to see what they do here.

I'll watch it later in the day.

Update: Here's a clip of Hondo I found, apologize if this has already been posted, I'm a bit behind.

• Like 1

Ooh wow. No that’s new. Looks fantastic. He’s from one of the cartoons, right? I have little familiarity with the cartoons.

I’m still trying to place the timeline of Galaxy’s Edge. I am fairly sure it places guests pre-TFA as I recall reading that the excuse for the Falcon being where it is (and modified for six pilots) is because it’s set when Han and Chewie no longer have it in their possession. Yet I think I also read that Finn is in Rise of the Resistance, though if he is then perhaps it’s when he was a Stormtrooper. Maybe the events of the ride are one of the major triggers in his life that make him realise he is on the wrong side? 

It seems like a poor oversight that Rey will seemingly have no presence in the land (I’m guessing there will be show and character meet and greets, but the rides themselves seem driven by male cast members).

5 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Ooh wow. No that’s new. Looks fantastic. He’s from one of the cartoons, right? I have little familiarity with the cartoons.

Yeah, he was from The Clone Wars and later in Star Wars Rebels.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I’m still trying to place the timeline of Galaxy’s Edge. I am fairly sure it places guests pre-TFA as I recall reading that the excuse for the Falcon being where it is (and modified for six pilots) is because it’s set when Han and Chewie no longer have it in their possession.

Its set during the events of the current trilogy. I don’t know if it’s specific, but it’s definitely after TFA. The story of the ride is that Chewie is having the Falcon repaired by Hondo at this outpost and Hondo recruits you (and your party) to run a smuggling mission. 

The way the queue works, your party gets “alone” time in the holochess room where you can look around and take pictures. Apparently there was originally supposed to be meet and greet with Chewie in here also, but that got axed for obvious reasons. 

7 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

• Like 1

Saw this video the other day which hypothesizes what the layout of the new Universal Park may be like based off the work that is already done, and permit filings. It’s interesting and well done. 

25 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Saw this video the other day which hypothesizes what the layout of the new Universal Park may be like based off the work that is already done, and permit filings. It’s interesting and well done. 

Interesting. Midway Mayhem is quite a good YT channel doing regular construction updates and it’s impressive how quickly they are moving with that project.

I guess it will rather tarnish the view of the visitor’s centre from across the water, not that I ever got to see that view in person. Hopefully it won’t be an eyesore like that damn coaster at Universal Studios. I feel I need to go back there just to point and frown at it (yeah, that’ll show em’!) Whenever I watch videos of people walking around I just can’t get over how damn random that coaster looks (and they have it smashing through my precious Ghostbusters fire station).

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

Its set during the events of the current trilogy. I don’t know if it’s specific, but it’s definitely after TFA. The story of the ride is that Chewie is having the Falcon repaired by Hondo at this outpost and Hondo recruits you (and your party) to run a smuggling mission. 

I see. It would have to be after The Last Jedi too in which case since that picks up immediately after TFA. Makes sense now given the hint that third film begins quite some time (months, perhaps years) after the second, and in the third film the round radar dish is back on the Falcon whereas Galaxy’s Edge recognises it having the rectangular variant.

That certainly does give the imagineers greater flexibility for a story if it’s placing guests in the open period of time between the events of the last two movies in the trilogy. Add in the fact Galaxy’s Edge opens before Rise of Skywalker and yeah, it all adds up.

The way the queue works, your party gets “alone” time in the holochess room where you can look around and take pictures. Apparently there was originally supposed to be meet and greet with Chewie in here also, but that got axed for obvious reasons. 

I still worry that Disney haven’t given enough thought to just how many people will gather around Falcon exterior for want of taking photos and selfies. Maybe the photos are deceptive but that really doesn't look like enough space between the ship and the structure directly opposite. It's a big space, but we're talking about hoards of nerds and a real Milennium Falcon here.

star-wars-galaxys-edge-aerial-photos-hel

star-wars-galaxys-edge-aerial-photos-hel

Side note:

flanders-gritando-gif-7.gif

It really does look spectacular. 

• Like 1

The unused Vincent Price narration is being restored to Phantom Manor in Paris when it (finally) re-opens next month, alongside huge story changes:

That's all rather exciting. Love the new TV spot:

Now fix Paris Space Mountain and remove the god damn Star Wars overlay, Disney! 

That new Universal land is really close to the convention centre.  It'll be interesting to see what transit between the two ends looks like, because it's not the shortest bus ride in the world right now, and it's only going to get longer.  If they build some kind of LRT that would make a lot of sense (and as a plus be useful for getting to and from the OCCC).

The custom coke packaging is neat-a much more pragmatic solution than the banishment of pop from the HP lands in Universal. 

8 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

That new Universal land is really close to the convention centre.  It'll be interesting to see what transit between the two ends looks like, because it's not the shortest bus ride in the world right now, and it's only going to get longer.  If they build some kind of LRT that would make a lot of sense (and as a plus be useful for getting to and from the OCCC).

Funny, I was thinking the same thing recently. I believe some planning permits show what they are looking to do to the roads around the new park and that that would be a direct bus only central line running directly between parks, but it would be nice if there were alternative modes of transport like a monorail or gondola system (make it a gondola and resurrect the old Kong ride as part of the experience 😀).

In the parks but not actually IN the Galaxy’s Edge land itself, surely? They weren’t planning to sell clearly branded merchandise in the land, just stuff with a more handmade look (and larger interactive droid and creature puppet purchases).

I would like a Rex regardless. Was there any word over the weekend on whether Paul Reubens is returning to voice him?

I missed a few more things from the Galaxy's Edge panel at the weekend.

The corridor of the Falcon will take on a different appearance when you exit the ride, depending on how well you did flying it.

Land map and smartphone DisneyPlay interactive elements for their Parks app:

New official video flyover of the land (Anaheim version). I can't believe it is just around a month from opening at last. 

Here's the full panel session. I've yet to watch it in full.

It's also been revealed that Frank Oz is voicing Yoda in some capacity which is interesting. Might be related to the smartphone interactivity. 

Stumbled on these Celebration booth tours of the Galaxy’s Edge merchandise:

Purchasable costumes, creatures and ”hand crafted” toys (I love the stitched Porg and Jabba):

Droid Depot merchandise featuring droid action figures, interactive toys, custom build a droid workshop (includes Droid Depot branded t-shirts which I wasn’t expecting inside the land itself given how non-Star Wars universe a t-shirt is).

The ‘Antiques’ dealer products including lightsabers, jewellery and various statue, bust and purchasable prop items:

The purchasable costumes and robes are extremely  impressive (would imagine they’d be amongst the highest priced items on sale).

Fun Jurassic World ride TV spot:

While I always enjoyed my visits there I have to say that Universal Hollywood is looking particularly great these days, actually more appealing to me than the Studios park in Florida. It’s an added incentive for me to think about returning to California first before I revisit Orlando someday.