LCVG
Angry the Clown

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

I’m very curious to see what the Jurassic World makeover of the ride in Hollywood is like. The scene shown in the trailer is cool, but I hope it isn’t overly relying on screens. 

I think that section will be heavily screen based. The whole open air brachiosaurus section is now under cover where that new encounter will be, but after that it seems to open out as usual so my guess is new animatronics for the rest of the ride. That seems like an acceptable mix. 

Good too see Universal finally confirm what most people assumed, that they are indeed putting a Secret Life of Pets dark ride in Hollywood inside the huge building that’s currently going up. It will open next year.

Now they just need to admit the other major construction on the lower lot is Nintendoland. 😀

Not a huge surprise. I guess that takes Toon Town off the chopping block for awhile. I hope the give it some love with this addition. The whole place needs an overhaul. 

It’d be nice if they gave Roger Rabbit some love too. It’d be nice if they gave it some of the upgrades the Fantasyland darkrides. I wonder if they could make the Black hole effect better with the tech they have now. 

Oh definitely. Would be great if they gave it some tlc. That the ride is still there is the only evidence that Disney still remembers even making that movie.

Mickey and Minnie, at Hollywood Studios, has been delayed to Spring 2020.

Between this and the Rise of the Resistance delay perhaps there is something to the thought that they’re having issues with trackless ride tech after all? Either way it’s a shame the Studios won’t have another ride operational to help ease crowds descending upon Galaxy’s Edge (might explain why that Lightning McQueen show randomly appeared recently).

Slowly. Universal Japan will see the first land open in 2020 if all goes according to plan. A huge construction effort is also underway on the lower lot of Universal Hollywood and the rumour mill seems seems to be convinced that it is for a Nintendo World or scaled down Mario Lands themed area for 2021/22.

It’s been wildly expected that, since they acquired their new land, Universal will put a Florida version of the Nintendo land in their third park as it would mean zero compromise on space. It’s not known if Pokemon could still take over the kids zone at Universal Florida, or whether that will end up in the third park too. It’s possible they are waiting on box office for Detective Pikachu. It was funny because construction walls began going up in that area about six or eight months ago now only to be swiftly removed without anything being changed.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 9:55 AM, Carlucci said:

How's the Nintendo stuff coming along?

Carlos.

The Clown covered most of it, but here is a recent article running down the latest news and developments for Japan, Hollywood and Florida versions

https://orlandoparkstop.com/news/rumors/when-will-super-nintendo-world-open-at-universal-parks/

The big 

Its also been announced for Singapore. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Graeme said:

The big..... show building for Mario Kart is pretty far along in Japan, and the rest of the surrounding buildings has gone vertical too. I saw some good updates the other day, but can’t find it now. 

Good look at Nintendoland progress at Universal Hollywood here:

It’s quite a big space. Enough for two rides I’d think, though a second could be a spinner of some kind if Mario Kart is going in the show building.

http://www.uuopodcast.com/2018/11/the-rumor-mill-did-they-just-reveal.html?m=1

This article is a bit old, but it’s about a ride system that looks like it was basically designed to be Mario Kart. The conclusion in the article is that this might not be what is actually being used for Mario Kart, but it certainly gives you an idea of what it could be like. 

Certain in elements of this also seem similar to what was rumoured for the Donkey Kong Mine Cart ride. 

I’m trying not to let myself get too excited by rumours that one of the lands in the new Universal park in Orlando will revolve around their classic monsters. 

https://themeparkuniversity.com/universal/tpu-exclusive-the-unique-master-plan-of-universal-orlandos-fourth-park-fantastic-worlds/

They talked about this article on Jim Hill's Universal podcast, and it's fascinating. According to this, the plan for Fantastic Worlds is to have a large Citywalk type area with shops and restaurants act as the "Main Street" of the area. At the end of the area is a large hotel. This area will be open to all and does not require a ticket. The different themed lands will then spoke off of this "hub" and will be completely self contained areas like Diagon Alley is, and Nintendoland will be (one way in and out). These areas, of course, will require an admission ticket.

The reasoning for this seems like it could be a) there isn't enough space for the park and a city walk and b) Fantastic Worlds will be situated right beside the Convention center. When a big convention lets out, it gives them easy access to the shops, restaurants, hotel(s), and even the theme park areas.

This reasoning seems completely plausible, and totally reasonable. It's a bit of a different idea (although apparently a similar plan was thought about for DL Hong Kong), and I wonder if it could work.

Interesting idea. I wonder about congestion in the hub since you’d have people there just going to and from the hotel and hanging around the Citywalk area for shopping/entertainment, but that article implies the hub area would be bigger than (all of?!) Magic Kingdom, in which case crowd control is perhaps of less concern.

I wonder though how much the concept might rob visitors of the feel of visiting a theme park, which for me is part of the fun. I suppose it depends on how the hub is themed.

I was reading another article on that site about future Universal Orlando attractions and the T2 3D replacement based on Bourne was mentioned and I still have to wonder about that. Granted, it would be a rare sight of an actual Universal owned IP being represented by an attraction in the park, but as successful as the franchise is it's over and by the time the show opens in 2020 it will have been four years since the last film (commercially successful, yes, but the least satisfying amongst critics and fans of the Damon movies). Is it really something people talk about anymore? We'll have to see what they come up with. I know it will eat up crowds regardless. It's amazing that it is taking quite as long as it is.

I still can't help but think licensing Mission Impossible from Paramount would have been a safer bet and a bigger draw given its an ongoing series with style, action and humour. 

Had a moment to watch fragments of the Galaxy’s Edge panel from Celebration and they did indeed confirm that Paul Rubens is back voicing Rex. 😀

Table service restaurant coming to Toy Story Land:

I wonder if they will add a merchandise location too. Utterly bizarre that the land doesn’t have one.

I’m glad it’s still Disney’s Hollywood Studios, and not Disney Hollywood Studios like they did with the movies. 

On 4/30/2019 at 10:44 AM, Angry the Clown said:

I still can't help but think licensing Mission Impossible from Paramount would have been a safer bet and a bigger draw given its an ongoing series with style, action and humour. 

Obviously I'd love a Mission show, but Paramount keep being indecisive about their own park (looks like the South Korea one is still at a Go status despite pulling out of the one in Kent that's now going to be ITV Studios themed) so I wouldn't be surprised if they're similarly indecisive about licensing anything out to others. Ultimately, if Universal want to sell a stunt show at the park I think people will care if it's any good before they do whether the guy doing the stunts is pretending to be Cruise or Damon.