LCVG
Angry the Clown

Disneyland/World and Universal parks discussion thread (where the magic never ends... until a ride you loved is knocked down and replaced with something lame)

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Good grief.

You'd think the people behind it would have just given up after the Paramount link fell through, but no. It's going to be Thunderbirds Are Go and Pocoyo rides, so they're claiming.

6 hours ago, iainl said:

Ultimately, if Universal want to sell a stunt show at the park I think people will care if it's any good before they do whether the guy doing the stunts is pretending to be Cruise or Damon.

I think this is probably true. There’s a reason that the Waterworld stunt show still runs in Hollywood, and why it was cloned for Japan and Singapore. 

Its not because Waterworld is a classic movie that people love, it’s because it’s a good show. 

I like the Waterworld show because it has good stunts, but because it tries to tell a story. The stunt shows that show you a “behind the scenes” of how stunts are accomplished (Indy and Lights, Motors, Action!) do nothing for me. 

With that said, Bourne feels like a property that has worn out its welcome and is an odd choice. 

This is basically a video version of the article I posted about the Nintendo Land updates. Still worth watching though. 

One thing I thought of while watching it though. There are rumours that other Nintendo properties could occupy the other parks in Orlando. If this were true, Zelda could be a pretty good option to replace what is left of Lost Continent in IOA. I could certainly see Poseidon’s Fury being some sort of Zelda dungeon adventure. 

2 hours ago, Graeme said:

I like the Waterworld show because it has good stunts, but because it tries to tell a story. The stunt shows that show you a “behind the scenes” of how stunts are accomplished (Indy and Lights, Motors, Action!) do nothing for me. 

I liked the Indiana Jones stunt show but that was during my visits between 89 and 94. I imagine it is feeling a little tired now. Still, it’s the one remaining opening day attraction at Hollywood Studios. Poor old Hollywood Studios (happy 30th I guess... 🤷‍♂️)

The Waterworld show is indeed great. I really am fond of Universal Hollywood. It seems to have always maintained a consistent focus in the last twenty years, where as Orlando seems more confused about its identity than it was when I left it in 94. Granted Hollywood is aided by the fact it’s a working studio so a behind the scenes aspect to the park is in its DNA, but even still... 

Everything new to me at Universal Hollywood since my last visit in 2002 is definitely a major draw that will likely see me back in California before Florida.

2 hours ago, Graeme said:

One thing I thought of while watching it though. There are rumours that other Nintendo properties could occupy the other parks in Orlando. If this were true, Zelda could be a pretty good option to replace what is left of Lost Continent in IOA. I could certainly see Poseidon’s Fury being some sort of Zelda dungeon adventure. 

That Kids Zone has got to go. Do kids even know who Fievel the mouse and Barney the Dinosaur are? I definitely think a Pokemon area there would be smart. It would keep it kid friendly whilst ideally playing host to some technologically advanced attractions. Some kind of dark ride with animatronics would be great. Universal haven’t invested in that kind of attraction since... what... Orlando’s original Kong? I guess The Mummy to a minor extent, but the Secret Life of Pets ride in Hollywood sounds like a full on Disney style dark ride which is why I’m excited about that. That’d be ideal for Pokemon, and if Detective Pikachu themed they could still retain a movie connection.

Lost Continent seems destined for the chop I agree. Zelda there would be a nice idea. How much space does Lost Continent occupy?

The symphonic suite for Galaxy’s Edge by John Williams (and performed by the London Symphony Orchestra) is now available on iTunes/Apple Music and presumably other services. 😀

I've no idea if he has scored the two rides as well. 

9 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Lost Continent seems destined for the chop I agree. Zelda there would be a nice idea. How much space does Lost Continent occupy?

It’s a fairly large space still. Looking at Google, it seems to still be about the size of Suess Landing, Toon Lagood or Marvel. Plus there is already a large show building from Poseidon, a large footprint/stage/building from the Sinbad stunt show, and a fair bit of space the Mythos occupies also. 

This space has been rumoured to be swallowed up by something for awhile. Potter might expand some more, LOTR has also been rumoured. 

Zelda could work really well in there without having to start from square one. The Lost City and the Sinbad area both could work quite well as two distinct areas of a Zelda world. 

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

The symphonic suite for Galaxy’s Edge by John Williams (and performed by the London Symphony Orchestra) is now available on iTunes/Apple Music and presumably other services. 😀

I've no idea if he has scored the two rides as well. 

It’s on Spotify.... where I noticed this

CE3518D3-26C5-4BE5-8B6F-7CC131F0F637.png

Really Spotify? The best?

It's properly lovely. I still don't have physical copies of any of the scores since I grabbed Force Awakens for some reason, but Solo would be my top priority of the three I'm missing.

Bioreconstruct has taken themselves West for flyovers of Disneyland. Nice look at the finished Galaxy’s Edge.

You can see there is an iron railing around the falcon preventing guests getting too close to it. Not sure if that was always the plan or a late decision (it wasn’t in the concept art). Fun to see staff/VIP’s clearly walking around down there.

You can build your own lightsaber in Galaxys Edge.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/05/building-batuu-savis-workshop-lets-you-handbuild-your-own-customized-lightsaber-at-star-wars-galaxys-edge/?CMP=SOC-DPFY19Q3wo0425190045A

There are four themes of lightsabers that guests can build:

Peace and Justice: Salvaged from fallen Jedi temples and crashed starships, these lightsaber pieces were created for Force wielders of the Republic era. The simple designs reflect the commitment to the devout life of those whom they were created by – the Jedi Order – the once guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy.

Power and Control: Reclaimed from the ashes of the rumored Sith homeworld and abandoned Sith temples, these lightsaber pieces were originally forged by the Sith of their time. Characterized by sharp and strong forms, these pieces showcase the brutality and relentlessness of the Sith’s insatiable desire for power and control.

Elemental Nature: As we have been told, The Force is an energy field created by all living things; it surrounds us, penetrates us and binds the galaxy together. These lightsaber pieces are born of that same Force. They are as unique as the user and as the elements of nature: the wood from a Brylark tree, a bone of the Cartusion whale or even a tooth from a Rancor.

Protection and Defense: Cultivated from a time forgotten, these earliest lightsaber pieces contain designs and inscriptions that are shrouded in mystery. Believed to be created for protection and defense, conferring anonymity and symbolizing emotional detachment, a lightsaber made from these pieces reconnects the user with the most ancient wellspring of the Force.

They had that at the SW attraction when we were there in 2017.  Makes sense to move it over to the new digs.

These ones are much different than the build your own lightsaber they had previously. 

These ones are very high quality collector pieces that come with a big case and a carry bag for the blade, and will probably cost hundreds of dollars. 

The examples they were showing at SW Celebration looked great, and quite varied. 

From a few days ago, the first look of the Hagrid animatronic on his Motorbike Adventure. 

Disney published a video on Tron's Florida construction:

A reminder of the ride in Shanghai:

I'm still not sure how I feel about the outdoor segment. It's neat but kills the immersion. Still, Daft Punk coaster for the win I suppose.

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Tokyo Disney Sea’s ride building for Soarin’ is predictably stunning...

Wow. That’s gorgeous. The imagineers must just love getting assigned a project for Japan. 

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'm still not sure how I feel about the outdoor segment. It's neat but kills the immersion. Still, Daft Punk coaster for the win I suppose.

During the day I would agree with that. At night it doesn't seem so bad though. 

What the outdoor part may take away from the ride experience, I think it will certainly make up for in providing a fantastic kinetic spectacle for the land. Its huge lit up dome that you can walk under with glowing trains of bikes running overhead every minute or so will really add some excitement to Tomorrowland, especially in Disneyland if they build it there. 

• Like 1